Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 03:48:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGun.Smoke (nes remake)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gun.Smoke (nes remake)  (Read 18448 times)
contra
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2013, 08:04:17 PM »

Gun.Smoke the classic NES shooter remade for the PC.

Graphics has been slightly improved with an increased colourcount while
staying true to the original. Gameplay has been streamlined and geared
towards more traditional arcade verti-shmup while still staying close to the original.

controls:
arrowkeys - move
Z or Shift - hold to shoot towards left
X or Ctrl - hold to shoot towards right
Z+X or Shift+Ctrl - hold to shoot straight up

joypad support included

download (win)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yy0wsxo6mgzctug/gunsmoke.zip

The game was coded by careful side-by-side comparisons and a HUGE amount of playtesting.
I've probably played the NES original over 100 times in the process of making this.
I'm very happy how it turned out and anyone who is a fan of the original or have missed out on this classic
should give it a shot because it's a blast to play.

Shoutouts to Fegon on this board who made most of the graphic touchups and also came up with the idea of this remake. Gentleman
shmupstick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 06:15:11 AM »

A bit puzzled now, why didn't you just rip the arcade graphics? Intead of face lifting the nes ones?
The arcade gun.smoke is my fav game of all time.

Will def be trying this!

contra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:04:02 AM »

Like most NES ports the original arcade game is a pretty different game.
 The goal of this project was to keep the feel and gameplay from the NES version pretty much intact (though omitting a couple of things the NES version added over the arcade like shopping). We did debate ripping the arcade graphics but for gameplay and nostalgia reasons (owned the NES cartridge, but never really played the arcade original) we decided to go with the NES look. Arcade sprites would have meant different hitboxes etc and a different game.  So yeah, thats mainly why this look.

Hope you like it! The game was intended as a "definite" version for fans of the NES game. So it would be interesting to hear how an arcade fan feel about it. Smiley
shmupstick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »

First quick go and I was taken down by Bandit Bill. Got a new arcade stick here which I'm not used to...  Roll Eyes

The arcade had a third button for shooting straight ahead, biggest difference between the games I thought. The shop and finding the wanted-posters was just a small bonus to the nes version.

Will clock a lot more time into this, that's for sure. Really good work!

Fegon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:03:52 PM »

It is the only time I have only worked on graphics in a project. I think it was pretty cool to see the game take form and I think it actually turned out to be pretty fun.
ra51
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »

This is actually pretty cool. I never played the NES version, but who knew you can take a wild west theme and turn it into a shmup type game. But then again, there was Jamestown...
shmupstick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 11:54:31 AM »

Darn, it's hard! Is the NES version this hard? Wingate level is like...impossible even with the cheating 7 lives and starting there.

Super great work guys! Been a while since I actually enjoyed playing a "new" game. Smiley

contra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 01:42:06 PM »

I guess as a devoloper you can go a bit blind to the difficulty during the playtesting phase. I can beat him without dying once. Boss difficulty have been ramped up abit compared to the NES though. And I do want him to be hard.

Key thing is that powerups makes a huge diffrence. Like in many shooters (Gradius/Nemesis comes to mind) when you're fully powerupped you can breeze thru it, but get killed once and lose your powerups it gets dramaticly harder.
Powerups in this game is pretty subtle when you grab them since they gradually increase your speed and power in small steps, but being fully powerupped makes all the difference.
So best advice, try to get thru the stage leading up to the boss without dying.

Thanks!
Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »

I tried it and gave it a go.  Thumbs up!!!  Quite representational of the NES I think.  I haven't put my eyeballs on the NES version for some years.  But from the minds memory.. spot on.

One grumble.. I couldn't move left or down while firing forward.  Right and Up worked while firing forward.  Huh???

Other than that, I'd rather give good news than bad.  I was inspired to keep learning.

One question that maybe give me more time and I could recognize it on my own but, what did you make it in??  Language or engine??

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
contra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 12:22:24 AM »

Thanks for the thumbs! Smiley
I think I know what the problem is,
Did you play using keyboard or joypad? My guess is that if you use keyboard and this is that problem with not being able to press more then 3 keys at once. This supposedly is only an issue on older non-usb keyboards.

You could try to use ctrl/shift/alt buttons to play and see if that helps since they are more "combination-friendly". You can change keys in-game by pressing F5 then clicking on player controls for player 1.

The game was made using MMF2.
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »

I am really glad you made a remake of this game. I remember as a kid my dad being amazing and the rest of us sucking at it. I was so happy to see it and even my father gave it a try. I made a little lets play video of the game, if you want to check it out. This game is done so well, graphics are perfect, its exactly how I remembered it. Thank you Smiley

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 07:12:14 PM »

Yup, changing the key bindings over to Shift and Ctrl instead of Z and X allowed all the lovely gunsmoke movement and western'y gunsmoke shooting I could want.  Now I just have to memorize the enemies spawning..

This brings back so many memories of playing Commando over and over on the NES as well.  The memories.  Oh and the grenades!!  Heheheheheh...

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
contra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 01:14:35 AM »

@Jupiter_Hadley
Thank you so much for the kind words and the video! It was awesome to watch you play my game and I'm glad you liked it. Just like you I used to play this game alot as a kid and it really was made for people like us who wanted to play it again without the hassle of hooking up the old NES or bother with emulators.
A note though, perhaps you figured it out already, but if you find it too hard you could increase lifecount in the options screen.

@Rahrahrah

Cool glad it worked! A good tip for surviving is to try to kill enemies as soon as possible so you dont get overrun and always keep moving and guns blazing.
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 07:10:45 AM »

I did notice that, but i didnt want to cheat Tongue
DrunkDevs
Level 1

Drink beer and make games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 10:42:09 AM »

Loved the NES version of this game. Gonna have to give this a try.

Want more Drunk Devs?
DrunkDevs.com / Facebook / Twitter

Current Devlog:
Kegbot
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 03:36:30 PM »

Don't even remember this on NES.. (looking on youtube).
It's some kind of COMMANDO, isn't it? One of my favorite arcade games.
Dowloading right now Wink

Boxers
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 11:02:34 AM »

Wow, great stuff mate, you brought back some really fond memories of my childhood, thanks a lot for taking your time and doing it. But for the life of me, I don't recall the game being this hard, lol :D

Gotta practice. Cheers!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic