Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:12:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeInstant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to TiledTMX - opensourced!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to TiledTMX - opensourced!  (Read 10809 times)
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2013, 06:49:53 AM »

Instant TileEd v0.87 is out!
Download .zip archive

Requires Windows with installed .NET framework 4 (http://www.microsoft.com/net/download), might run different platforms using Mono

Introduction
I don't like the current workflow of drawing tileset and tilemap seperately, so I made a little tool that lets me draw tiles and edit map at the same time:
  • Focus on the art & design - everything is divided and arranged into tiles and tilesets automatically offscreen
  • Unlimited canvas - there are no map dimensions and constraints, so you don't have to think about that

New Features
  • Multiple layers - right click on layers list to add, delete or rename. Drag&drop to reorder.
  • Create objects - right click pixel selection and select Create an Object. Draw to the object using any of the draw tools. Flip and rotate objects.
  • Draw to multiple tiles - using the Pen Tool (CTRL + Left Mouse Button)
  • Edit both tile and object properties using Select Objects Tool and Tile Properties Tool (select tile area and objects using Left Mouse Button)
  • Export to TMX, TileEd map editor format - including all tiles, objects and their properties.

Planned Features
  • Changing Bitmap Object Z-order
  • Allowing to easily rescale object bitmap size (so you don't have to merge object with
    background and recreate it to do so)
  • Create documentation and update help dialog

Features
  • Full undo/redo
  • Export map to TileEd map editor
  • Export as bitmap
  • Import image (or just paste any image from clipboard)
  • Palette load/save
  • Selection cut/copy/paste
  • Image & tile rotation & flipping
  • Draw & fill line, rect, circle

Controls

Known issues
  • While technically map dimensions are limitless - the draw performance is pretty slow for big maps, the rendering has to be moved from GDI+ to OpenGL

Feature-wise I'm already pretty happy how this has turned out so far. For me It's already invaluable tool for drawing mockups, tilemaps and practicing pixel-art in general.

Source
https://bitbucket.org/nemiz/instanttileed/

It is released under the somewhat permissive WTFPL - Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License.
Code:
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/nemiz/InstantTileEd/

Or you can just download the source directly from:
https://bitbucket.org/nemiz/instanttileed/get/default.zip

Try It out and tell me what you think!

Version 0.87 - Download .zip archive

Requires Windows with installed .NET framework 4 (http://www.microsoft.com/net/download), might run different platforms using Mono
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:58:32 AM by JOBA » Logged

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
Snow
Level 0

experienced gamer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 01:59:59 PM »

I already downloaded it and am using it. I was already planning on making a tool like this for myself, but you beat me to it. Smiley That said though, there is one thing that needs to be added (unless I missed it): multiple tile editing. It makes tile stitching a hell of a lot easier when making pixelated textures like ground, grass, walls (bricks/bricks with wear and tear),etc. When you edit a specific tile, each of those tiles will show the edit at the same time.

Lastly, thank you for making and releasing this program. Smiley

--Snow

A pencil, blank paper and an empty room is all you need.
nelsonnotts
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 08:38:06 PM »

I have also downloaded this and started my work on it. But I am having some problems that are affecting my work. Any help on this would be appreciated.

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 07:14:04 PM »

I have also downloaded this and started my work on it. But I am having some problems that are affecting my work. Any help on this would be appreciated.
What kind of problems are you having exactly?
I would love to help you, but you have to be a little more specific.

I already downloaded it and am using it. I was already planning on making a tool like this for myself, but you beat me to it. Smiley That said though, there is one thing that needs to be added (unless I missed it): multiple tile editing. It makes tile stitching a hell of a lot easier when making pixelated textures like ground, grass, walls (bricks/bricks with wear and tear),etc. When you edit a specific tile, each of those tiles will show the edit at the same time.

--Snow
Thanks, man.
Multi-tile editing feature request is duly noted.

I have thought about the feature quite a bit, and I have some ideas how to make it work (but it will work only with the Pen Tool).

Also there is a way to replace tiles with the current tile selection with Tile Stamp Tool.
Left mouse button while holding CTRL will replace them. That might come handy while I implement the multi tile edit.

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »

Features already implemented in the upcoming v0.85:
Multiple layers, tile properties, objects with properties.

Objects can be created from background and you can draw on them directly.

Naturally all the layers along with object and tile properties can be exported to TMX Tiled format. (unfortunately tiled doesn't support arbitrarly sized bitmap objects, so only the object rectangles along with properties are exported). I have to figure out a way to sensibly export object bitmap data too.

And I'm liking the results so far, I can create most of the content for a pixel-art game without ever leaving the tool.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:35:18 PM by joba » Logged

Snow
Level 0

experienced gamer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 04:39:40 PM »

--Snow
Thanks, man.
Multi-tile editing feature request is duly noted.

I have thought about the feature quite a bit, and I have some ideas how to make it work (but it will work only with the Pen Tool).

Also there is a way to replace tiles with the current tile selection with Tile Stamp Tool.
Left mouse button while holding CTRL will replace them. That might come handy while I implement the multi tile edit.

Hey NP Smiley Question though, is this open source? My programming skills are intermediate but, would be glad to help or contribute.

A pencil, blank paper and an empty room is all you need.
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »

Instant TileEd v0.85 is out!
Download .zip archive

New Features
  • Multiple layers - right click on layers list to add, delete or rename. Drag&drop to reorder.
  • Create objects - right click pixel selection and select Create an Object. Draw to the object using any of the draw tools. Flip and rotate objects.
  • Draw to multiple tiles - using the Pen Tool (CTRL + Left Mouse Button)
  • Edit both tile and object properties using Select Objects Tool and Tile Properties Tool (select tile area and objects using Left Mouse Button)
  • Export to TMX, TileEd map editor format - including all tiles, objects and their properties.

Planned Features
  • Changing Bitmap Object Z-order
  • Allowing to easily rescale object bitmap size (so you don't have to merge object with
    background and recreate it to do so)
  • Create documentation and update help dialog

Let me know what you think!
It's almost feature complete now!

Download .zip archive
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:57:32 AM by JOBA » Logged

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »

Hey NP Smiley Question though, is this open source? My programming skills are intermediate but, would be glad to help or contribute.
It's not open-source as of yet.
I have thought about it. And I am considering it.
It is almost feature complete though and a significant portion of the codebase is kind-of-a hack (winforms, yay!), which is completely fine for getting shit done and shipping it ASAP, bet not that good for letting people to contribute easily and get value out of the source.

I might just put up the source though, will see.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »

Haven't played with it yet (currently updating Mono and Wine) but I would totally throw money at a good integrated pixel/tile-map editor that was open-source and Linux-native (and preferably not .NET).

EDIT:
Seems to work fine with latest Mono, if a bit laggy. Love the unbounded canvas. Every image or tile-map editor should have this.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:39:07 PM by surt » Logged

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 11:34:16 PM »

Very nice!

Would need a few more features:
-Tile selection (non rectangular), so you can copy/paste an element compiled from several tiles about
-Not everybody has a joystick on their mouse. To move the camera, maybe if space is being pressed the mouse can drag the current view about
-Scrollbars and/or cursor keys to move about would by nice too
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 02:00:59 PM »

Haven't played with it yet (currently updating Mono and Wine) but I would totally throw money at a good integrated pixel/tile-map editor that was open-source and Linux-native (and preferably not .NET).
Good to know that it works with Mono.
I'm not sure what is considered a Linux-native app (C/C++ with GTK or Qt?), but as long as the app works on Mono I don't see a problem frankly.

EDIT:
Seems to work fine with latest Mono, if a bit laggy. Love the unbounded canvas. Every image or tile-map editor should have this.
Lagginess comes from using GDI+ for rendering canvas, I plan to move to OpenGL rendering, that should eliminate the lagginess.

Fan of your art, by the way!

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 02:07:35 PM »

Very nice!

Would need a few more features:
-Tile selection (non rectangular), so you can copy/paste an element compiled from several tiles about
-Not everybody has a joystick on their mouse. To move the camera, maybe if space is being pressed the mouse can drag the current view about
-Scrollbars and/or cursor keys to move about would by nice too
Thanks.
The requested features are noted.
Moving camera and zooming without scroll-wheel definitely has to be added.

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »

Not bad joba!  Not bad at all!  I'll be following where this goes.  Long time no chat by the way.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »

Import bitmap bugs out madly for me.

The drawing becomes offset and draws only in the corners of the tiles and renders at a different zoom level outside the image.

One thing this really needs is a tile palette.

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 10:02:58 AM »

Import bitmap bugs out madly for me.
The drawing becomes offset and draws only in the corners of the tiles and renders at a different zoom level outside the image.

I'm so sorry!
Fixed the bug, thanks for the tip!

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by tile pallete.

Do you mean a separate grid on the side where you can put the most frequently used tiles and tile combinations (like prebuild houses and buildings and stuff)?  

When I'm drawing my maps, I usually just put those things on a map somewhere. Naturally when the map gets big and there's lot of tiles that is not as viable strat anymore.

The biggest challenge here, to be honest, is not the programming part, but figuring out exactly how to integrate it well into UI. I'm trying to keep this thing kind-of minimalistic and uncluttered at least in terms of user interface and various buttons and menus.

This might need another sidebar on the left side. And I kind-of love the current layout so far.

Or maybe while using tilestamp tool - color pallete on the left side could be replaced by the tile pallete and the layers list moved to the very bottom there. That would give reasonable amount of space for another tile grid.

I'll definitely consider it. The feature is noted.

Instant TileEd v0.86 is out!
Download .zip archive

New Features
  • Zooming with keyboard + and - signs
  • You can move camera while holding down the spacebar

Thanks for the tips, Endurion.

Fixed image import bug for tiles that are not 8x8.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:57:11 AM by JOBA » Logged

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2013, 01:56:49 PM »

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by tile pallete.

Do you mean a separate grid on the side where you can put the most frequently used tiles and tile combinations (like prebuild houses and buildings and stuff)?
No I mean just as the colour palette provides a list of all the colours in the image to pick and paint with, the tile palette provides a list of all the tiles in the map to pick and lay out.

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 12:15:41 AM »

Instant TileEd v0.87 is out!
Download .zip archive

• Fixed crash when editing color palette.
  • Fixed some non 8x8 size tile editing bugs that somehow got left in.
  • You can set cell color in palette using right mouse button.

The three features that I'm somewhat tempted to implement are Text Tool, Flood Fill and Color Replace. Getting flood fill to work might be tricky considering the behind the scenes book keeping of all the tiles.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:58:10 AM by JOBA » Logged

Florian S
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 01:26:18 PM »

Great work, creating tiles separately always put me off. This will make creating tilemaps so much more fun, thanks! :-)

"Export Tiled Map Editor" stores the bitmap file in the editor's working directory instead of the save location for me though (latest release, default export settings, Win7).
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »

Okay, so I've manned up and released upon the world the macaroni mess what is the source code of this tool:
https://bitbucket.org/nemiz/instanttileed/

It is released under the somewhat permissive WTFPL - Do What The Fuck You Want To Public License.

It would be common courtesy to credit me or signal me in some way if you use it or it's of any use to you, but you don't have to do that.

Code:
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/nemiz/InstantTileEd/
(You'll need either mercurial or tortoiseHG to clone the repo)
It includes all things you'd need to compile it. (MSVS 2010 project file)

Or you can just download the source directly from:
https://bitbucket.org/nemiz/instanttileed/get/default.zip

Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:46:46 PM by JOBA » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »

cool

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic