Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:35:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeTerra Incognita - Help us choose our new name!
Poll
Question: What should be the new name for our game?  (Voting closed: February 09, 2013, 04:58:15 AM)
The Curious Expedition - 22 (75.9%)
Here be Lions - 7 (24.1%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Terra Incognita - Help us choose our new name!  (Read 2855 times)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2013, 04:58:15 AM »

This poll is supposed to help us to choose the new name for our game, currently called "Terra Incognita". To find out more about the game, visit the DevLog.

----------------------------------------------------------

We really love the name "Terra Incognita" for our game.
However, the term is pretty popular; it is not only very crowded on any web search, there is even a game named this way, which was re-released not too long ago on iOS. This is kinda bad and made us think about changing our name already quite some while ago.
Finding a good name is really hard, so it took us some time to find anything that would fit as good as "Terra Incognita".
We now have 2 candidates that we both like a lot, but have a hard time deciding between them.

That is where you could help us :-)

I'll briefly describe what each name means to us:

The Curious Expedition
First off, it has the word expedition in it, which is pretty good since that's what our game is mainly about. The word curious has multiple meanings, all fitting perfectly to the tone and mood we'll want to accomplish with our game. Last but not least, it sounds old in a good way and reminds us a lot about those old Jules-Verne-esque movies which serve as a huge inspiration to us.

Here be Lions
(latin: HIC SVNT LEONES) This is a classical phrase utilized by ancient Roman and Medieval cartographers to mark unknown territories on maps. It implied that those regions were very dangerous to explore, but also held potential for great discoveries and treasures to be found. The spirit of this name is closely resembling the orginial "Terra Incognita" and we also like the little WTF moment it creates upon first confrontation.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:36:44 AM by jO » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 05:12:07 AM »

I voted for The Curious Expedition because of the, as you said, Jules-Verne-esqueness of it. I think it's very fitting.

Ant
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 05:14:50 AM »

I doubt many people would get the Here Be Lions exploratory link and instead just think it's a game about lions.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »

The Curious Expedition here!

Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 02:15:11 AM »

I prefer "here be lions" but "the curious expedition" will be easier to googlized.
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »

"Here Be Dragons" is the more colloquially understood phrase for unknown parts of the map, I think.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
ink.inc
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »

Yeah, never heard of Here Be Tigers, but I'm definitely familiar with the phrase Here Be Dragons.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 02:04:53 AM »

Terra Ignota? probably grammatically incorrect or something, but pulled it off Wikipedia.

Or the Latin of Here Be Lions sounds good. You can shorten it down to HSL, which is a nice acronym. Curious Expedition sounds like a kids game
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:32:43 AM »

As Muz said, The Curious Expedition sounds like a game for kids. It's very misleading and not conveying the feel of the game (which means people who look for kids game would not buy it because it's not a kids game and people who look for that kind of game won't even check it because of the name).

How about:
- Terra incogniata Expedition
- Unvcovering Secrets of Terra Incognita
- The Source of the Nile River
- Expedition to the Heart of Black Continent
- Africa Discoverers
- Victorian Expedition

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »

I disagree on it sounding like a kids game. It's not like it's Thomas the Train or something. To me it has a very Jules Vernesque feel, I imagine a book about a grand adventure. Very fitting. Makes me want to read some Verne now.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

I'm increasingly keen on The Curious Expedition. It does have an appropriate ring to it, 'curious' being used in the old sense of 'unusual/interesting' and not just 'inquisitive'. It makes me think Victorian rather than kids. As Eigen says, it's very Jules Verne.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 06:59:55 PM »

The word "curious" brings connotations of children's books/edutainment. People who are fans of the genre might get it, but the people outside that group who have some mild interest won't. It's catchy, now that I think about it, but having to think twice on it doesn't make it a great name.
ink.inc
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 07:03:29 PM »

professor layton and the curious village
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 04:00:49 AM »

I like Terra Incognita. It's rare to read a name game that sounds perfect in Portuguese Wink Let me check the vote

On STEAM »
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »

You mean Nikola Tesla and the Curious Village.  Wink

Vote +1 for The Curious Expedition. I love it. Reiterating the call of B.S. about it sounding like a kid's game, although I can see how some people might misinterpret it as such--some people like their adventures with ULTRAGRIT and MATURITY 2.0 but I think my favorite games do better by capturing that sense of wonder, mystery, intrigue, and innocent--well, curiosity. World of Goo is a prime example of this.

In this case it's also a nod to the curious nature of the journey, which I like just as well.
ink.inc
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 07:41:35 PM »

You mean Nikola Tesla and the Curious Village.  Wink

Vote +1 for The Curious Expedition. I love it. Reiterating the call of B.S. about it sounding like a kid's game, although I can see how some people might misinterpret it as such--some people like their adventures with ULTRAGRIT and MATURITY 2.0

the developer can use whatever title he pleases and it's really none of our business one way or the other. the only thing he needs to take note of is that the word 'curious' is highly evocative of children's stories like alice in wonderland ("curiouser and curiouser"). if that's the vibe he wants, then good on him. nobody here is advocating that he alter his vision into anything he doesn't want.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:53:53 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic