Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:38:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGame design resources
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Game design resources  (Read 48102 times)
antoniodamala
« on: February 03, 2013, 09:21:12 AM »

A collaborative growing list of things worth checking about Game Design.
Subject to update as people keep recommending and more organization is required.

Books:

Videos:

Sites & Articles:

Podcasts
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:58:39 PM by antoniodamala » Logged
Garmy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 09:48:42 AM »

One of the best books I've read is The Art of Game Design. It's an amazing read.

It's not a book, but the web series Extra Credits is really good. Note the Season 1-5 tabs above the thumbnails. Every episode is great, and some episodes are double great.

I run https://www.develteam.com - an Indie Game Development Community
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »

I've been reading through Game Feel, since that's a topic I've been particularly interested in of late.  Pretty comprehensive breakdown on what goes into the feel of action games.

ococo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »

I'd recommend '21st century game design' (at least the first 100 pages), it's a really interesting introduction to players types and needs, which a designer needs when he has to express his ideas from the player's point of view.
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:34:49 PM »

Sadly, I've not got any books to recommend, as I've done it through consuming the internet at large and analytical play, like you. However, I would hugely recommend following the guys over at Extra Credits:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits
http://www.youtube.com/user/extracreditz

As they do very valuable episodes on game design, and I greatly respect them above anyone else I've met in the field(one writer is a professor who teaches in that line of work), and I seem to recall them mentioning some of their own recommended reads.

EDIT: I see now the first reply already promoted them. My bad.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:04:30 PM by Ridley » Logged
forwardresent
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 03:12:20 AM »

I kind of liked Art of Game Design (Lenses) but I never finished it, the free Android app is nice to glance over every now and again. I think the book is meant to be taken as a quick reference rather than a huge read.

I enjoyed Chris Crawford on Computer Game Design and I found the book Theory of Fun pretty interesting.

I started reading Rules of Play recently, it's been interesting so far.

An online link to I Have No Words And I Must Design: http://www.costik.com/nowords.html

I +1 the video recommendations, I'd throw this guy in there too: Campster Youtube Channel

These are also pretty excellent, bar the audio quality of the first:

Johnathan Blow Conflicts in Game Design

Uncertainty In Games
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:31:29 PM by forwardresent » Logged
WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:58:57 AM »

A bit outdated but still cool to see what prominent devs have to say (the book is basically a huge collection of tips, tricks and interviews) http://www.amazon.com/Game-Design-Secret-Marc-Saltzman/dp/1566869870/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361102298&sr=8-2&keywords=game+design+secrets+of+the+sages
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »

The guy deals a with some pretty fundamental and philosophical concepts of games.

letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 02:21:51 AM »

Everybody linked what I was gonna. Screamy

My other input would be to play as many games as you possibly can. Speed through them while taking notes on what you like and didn't. Play good games, bad games, games you have never ever heard about. Blind play things and study them. You can learn game design from books and stuff but seeing application as often as possible is really important.

Oh, Gamasutra also has some good articles to browse through.

kiddRaddical
Level 0

ALT UNIVERSE SEGA SATURN DEV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 02:09:35 AM »

One of the best books I've read is The Art of Game Design. It's an amazing read.

Can't recommend that book enough. Another classic is Tracy Fullerton's Game Design Workshop. I like to read up on cognitive/behavioral psychology for some more outside-the-box perspetive on design; any ole' textbook is a great place to start. Economics is also a good place for some interesting/applicable studies. Good game design is basically psychology applied artfully, so anywhere you can observe humans functioning within a system is a good place to learn. 

If you're in the mood for vids (and giggles), check out egoraptor's "Sequelitis" series on youtube; it's in the same vein as Extra Credits, but with some interesting points of its own. Language is definitely NFSW, though, so consider yourself forewarned Wink

Only other advice I could give is to play lots of games critically (not just digital games either!), and make lots of your own games to get in the practice (again, not just digital games).

posting (too) regularly on Twitter: @EthanRedd
EthanRedd.com
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:07:27 PM »

Too bad Sequelitis is only 3 eps. Game Grumps is good. That's Egoraptor too.
feminazi
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:17:39 PM »

dum i dont recomend any of these videos. they say everything you probablby heard before if you browsed a gaming enthusiast forum
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »

People say that about Extra Credits too. I don`t know if you mean everything or just egoraptor. The thing is sometimes I just want to watch video. Hammer the basics. I don`t know.
Zencha
Level 0

I make noise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »

Hey all,

I can't seem to find a sticky or thread of us posting must reads/watch for game design content Gomez.

I'll start that here with the Extra Credits series on youtube. Awesome content -- these guys know what they're talking about. Check out these 2 videos to start.

Extra Credits: So You Want to be a Game Designer:

Extra Credits: Playing Like a Designer

What resources do you recommend for other designers to read/watch?
forwardresent
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 03:24:49 PM »

Something to play in the browser:

A short browser game series on design

Things to Read (You can find these on Amazon):

Art Of Game Design - Jesse Schell
Art of Computer Game Design - Chris Crawford
Theory Of Fun - Raph Koster
Game Feel: A Game Designer's Guide to Virtual Sensation
Understanding Comics - Scott McCloud

Online Reads:

Edmund McMillen - Indie Do's & Dont's

Video/Audio:

Errant Signal Youtube Channel

Destructoid Channel - Sup Holmes Episodes are a wealth of information

I'll update this post with more things, I have more books and more articles bookmarked than I can keep track of.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:35:17 PM by forwardresent » Logged
FamousAspect
Level 1

some day you will die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »

I did a talk at PAX last year that a lot of fledgeling designers have found useful. You can view the slides and audio from "Unlock your Creative Potential: 7 steps to becoming a game designer" on my blog.

I also have some other design related content on the site you might find interesting. Longform interviews with various game designers including Jenova Chen & Soren Johnson as well as some tools & templates for writing game design documentation.

Uykered
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 03:49:51 AM »

This has been posted elsewhere, lots of handy things to learn from a pro:

devi ever
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 10:14:15 AM »

Hit me!  Wizard Hand Point Right
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »

welcome back to the forum

i suggest 'chris crawford on game design', that one's my favorite book about game design. his other writings are good too but you should probably start there

http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Crawford-Game-Design/dp/0131460994

it's a bit expensive but affordable if you get it used

it's non-technical, it's about game design, not game programming. he's a classic game designer from the early PC and atari 2600 era who has a lot of interesting ideas

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »

The Game Maker's Apprentice.

The... whole "Totoreals" section here.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic