Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:31:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGame design resources
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Game design resources  (Read 48147 times)
FamousAspect
Level 1

some day you will die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 02:39:13 PM »

I've done a number of lengthy interviews with successful game designers on the topic of game design. Some that you might find most interesting are:

There's a lot of hard won advice in the interviews from people who have practiced the craft for years and worked on shipped games you've likely played.

Zencha
Level 0

I make noise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »

Sequelitis was great, daaamn.

Was Extra Credits from the Penny Arcade guys? Is really hard for me to take anything they do seriously. When they do games they do jrpgs and their comics sucks so hard. 

It's not actually written by the Penny Arcade guys -- it's written by James Portnow who's a game design instructor at digipen. I think it's just distributed through PA's channel. It's definitely good stuff.
forwardresent
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2013, 03:29:48 PM »

Really wish there was more Sequelitis. There's just something about Egoraptor screaming that is just so great. Extra Credits is also brilliant, and pretty much weekly episodes.
heisenbergman
Level 2

LoGaP

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2013, 05:57:12 PM »

Just started watching Extra Credits and it's awesome. Thanks.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 02:58:31 AM »

Hahah. You're welcome Smiley.
forwardresent
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 06:29:07 PM »

I started reading 'Uncertainty in Games' by Greg Costikyan. It's an interesting book so far, he did a talk on the subject that's pretty interesting.

8Points
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »

Next to Art of Game Design the best source I ever found was Ian Schreiber's Game Design Concepts and Game Balance Concepts courses. He considers all aspects of game design and challenges all level of designer in interesting ways. Seriously influential stuff:

http://gamedesignconcepts.wordpress.com/
http://gamebalanceconcepts.wordpress.com/
tanyaxshort
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 02:11:33 PM »

I recommend most of the books and videos above, but...

Honestly, for every book you read or video series you watch, make a game. It can be really small, it SHOULD be really small, but get far enough along that you feel uncomfortable and scared and then push a little bit further.

Then go read another book or watch another video series, and make a DIFFERENT game. :D

I find study in isolation to yield lots of jargon and not much practical intuition... but pure intuition without being able to explain yourself (i.e. theory to understand why you feel that way) makes you not as useful a designer on a team.

antoniodamala
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »

Gonna recommend some Tropes Vs Women In Video Games, even though is just a small aspect of game design, is damn important:

Damsel In Distress Part 1:

Damsel In Distress Part 2:

Also, shouldn't the GMs blend this topic with the others and make it an Announcement? It seems a important topic.

(edited the first post to accomodate all recommendations so far)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:14:29 PM by antoniodamala » Logged
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2013, 07:24:56 AM »

Yeah, this topic comes up every so often.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2013, 08:26:36 AM »

merged and stickied
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2013, 02:05:11 PM »

Again, we should lump this thread in with the other recommended resources and should probably sticky it up.

And I love Sequelitis. Shit blew my god damn mind.

"What's the difference between beating some enemies to get an item needed to progress, versus beating enemies over and over to get hearts to go back and buy the item you need to progress?"

"ABOUT FOUR HOURS."

Sequelitis is classic man.

"What's the difference between developing the game you want, and waiting for it to be developed and then making the cash it takes to buy it, along with whatever system/PC specs you need to play it on?"

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 07:53:07 AM »

One to add

raph koster's blog

and: lost garden - he actually posts in tigs
and: insomnia if you can handle it. many people cannot.
and: flow by jenova chen - he is very simple and eloquent about it

and here's a good one for beginners, moderates: no twinkie - it has broad coverage, and is a nice intro to theory if you don't like thinking about theory
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:00:43 AM by Graham. » Logged
antoniodamala
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 08:57:08 AM »

One to add

raph koster's blog

and: lost garden - he actually posts in tigs
and: insomnia if you can handle it. many people cannot.
and: flow by jenova chen - he is very simple and eloquent about it

and here's a good one for beginners, moderates: no twinkie - it has broad coverage, and is a nice intro to theory if you don't like thinking about theory

http://insomnia.ac/reviews/pc/spelunky/page_01.php

Reading this and realizing that even though the guy is just too angry, he does have some good points. 
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 09:04:47 AM »

Oh yeah. On tigs kierkegaard (the author) draws as much flame as women in games etc - well not as much, but they can be compared. I like him because he attacks games in a unique way. He's a journalist writing about design, as opposed to a designer writing about design. That's different. So his experiences are mainly playing instead of creating, and that of course biases him, a lot, but whatever.

This one might be kind of obvious: ign. Watching interviews, reading reviews, listening to podcasts, all teach me things. I also go to:
  . 1up
  . destructoid

Podcasts we should all post later.

99 coins
insert credit - site and cast
podtoid
infinite ammo - close to home
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2013, 10:35:47 PM »

A couple months back I encountered this link called the Game Designer's Bookshelf. Although it doesn't have much of the newer books, a good number of the subjects are still very applicable.

http://www.boffo.us/gdw/BookshelfByTopic.html

Twitter
rocknlouie
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »

I found an interview series on youtube, where legendary game designer Warren Spector (Origin, Looking Glass, Ion Storm, Junction Point) interviews other prominent names from the games industry. It was a 2007, semester long course at the University of Texas, with each interview being one 3 hour long class, so the interviews are really in depth. Many of the interviewees are former members of Looking Glass Studios, a revolutionary studio with far reaching influence in the industry even today. There is a ton that can be learned from these interviews, especially about games that Spector calls "Interactive Simulations".

- about Warren Spector

- HR director (Disney Interactive Studios)
03 - Harvey Smith - Designer (Origin, Looking Glass) then Creative Director (Midway, Arkane Studios)
04 - Hal Barwood - Screenwriter (Third Encounters, Dragonslayer), Game Designer (Lucas Arts, Indiana Jones)
05 - Matthew Bellows - Designer/Programmer (Floodgate Entertainment, Dark Messiah, Mobile Games)
06 - Marc LeBlanc - Designer/Programmer (Looking Glass, Sega, MDA Framework PDF)
07 - Mike Morhaime - CEO (Blizzard)
08 - Tim Willits - Designer (id Software)
09 - Seamus Blackley - Physics Programmer (Looking Glass), Trespasser (Dreamworks), father of the (XBOX)
10 - Paul Weaver - Designer (Rare), Development Director/Producer (Acclaim, Ion Storm, Junction Point)
11 - Gordon Walton - Ultima Online, Sims Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Bioware
12 - Richard Garriott - Lord British.
13 - Richard Hilleman - Producer (Electronic Arts)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:30:35 PM by rocknlouie » Logged
antoniodamala
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »

Jonathan Blow: Game design: the medium is the message

I found an interview series on youtube, where legendary game designer Warren Spector (Origin, Looking Glass, Ion Storm, Junction Point) interviews other prominent names from the games industry. It was a 2007, semester long course at the University of Texas, with each interview being one 3 hour long class, so the interviews are really in depth. Many of the interviewees are former members of Looking Glass Studios, a revolutionary studio with far reaching influence in the industry even today. There is a ton that can be learned from these interviews, especially about games that Spector calls "Interactive Simulations".

- about Warren Spector
02 - Patricia York - HR director (Disney Interactive Studios)
03 - Harvey Smith - Designer (Origin, Looking Glass) then Creative Director (Midway, Arkane Studios)
04 - Hal Barwood - Screenwriter (Third Encounters, Dragonslayer), Game Designer (Lucas Arts, Indiana Jones)
05 - Matthew Bellows - Designer/Programmer (Floodgate Entertainment, Dark Messiah, Mobile Games)
06 - Marc LeBlanc - Designer/Programmer (Looking Glass, Sega, MDA Framework PDF)
07 - Mike Morhaime - CEO (Blizzard)
08 - Tim Willits - Designer (id Software)
09 - Seamus Blackley - Physics Programmer (Looking Glass), Trespasser (Dreamworks), father of the (XBOX)
10 - Paul Weaver - Designer (Rare), Development Director/Producer (Acclaim, Ion Storm, Junction Point)
11 - Gordon Walton - Ultima Online, Sims Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Bioware
12 - Richard Garriott - Lord British.
13 - Richard Hilleman - Producer (Electronic Arts)

A couple months back I encountered this link called the Game Designer's Bookshelf. Although it doesn't have much of the newer books, a good number of the subjects are still very applicable.

http://www.boffo.us/gdw/BookshelfByTopic.html

thanks guys gonna add this to the first post as soon as i can

edit: added to the first post
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:38:16 PM by antoniodamala » Logged
Eljugganot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »

Most Godlike thread ever.
lethargilistic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »

The Ecology of Games, ed. Katie Salen (yes, of Rules of Play fame)

This is a whole anthology of essays, free to download from MIT Press, on how people interact with games. I confess that I have not read much of it because I have been working on other things, but one essay that I think would be interesting for just about everyone is called "The Rhetoric of Video Games." It talks about how games can and have been used to try to persuade other people or call attention to different issues.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic