Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:53:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCowboy RTS game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Cowboy RTS game  (Read 23861 times)
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2013, 03:11:42 AM »

Thanks!  Smiley

I spent some time last night popping it all into the actual game engine, having the flags animate really adds so much! Need to get the rest in and try hard to get sort of early available build sorted. Lots to do ...

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »

Looking sexy, but in a very cowboy-y way

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2013, 06:23:14 AM »

Week 30
Managed to work out a solution for seeing if selected blocks are valid. I had been trying to write some crazy ass data scanners which were a) complicated and b) a complete waste of CPU resource.

Because I have a bitmap object in the HUD and its only updated as dirt tiles are dug away, I realized all I have to do is create a flood fill from the base camp which is where all the prospectors start from. Then a selected block can simply work out if it's valid for the prospector to get to by seeing if it butts onto the flood fill colour - bingo!

A sort of mechanical solution, but works a treat  Smiley

Added the ability to not only drag select areas to dig, but also un-select them and prospectors now have an AI check to see if where they are off to is still a valid selected tile ... to stop them walking ages only to find the area has been un-selected!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:31:00 AM by electrolyte » Logged

antoniodamala
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2013, 07:18:39 AM »

i want this game in my life pls god
Uykered
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2013, 01:48:24 AM »

Looks fantastic!
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2013, 06:23:33 AM »

Thank you! Today put in some fort walls, this will hopefully lead to some interesting game play strategy. Been working on some map tools also, so saying if something can cast a shadow, or if you can build in an area etc. Coming together bit by bit.

hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2013, 06:31:32 AM »

The art in this has such an awesome style! Looking forward to more.

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2013, 07:38:54 AM »

Getting strong Z vibes from the style.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »

Remember when Z used to stand for silly robots shooting each other? Good times, good times.
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2013, 09:16:38 AM »

Z is a great reference, I loved playing that. Want to get that arcadey feel to it. Any bitmap brothers 90s game was amazing ... Magic pockets the weakest tho Smiley

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2013, 06:06:24 AM »

So, this was interesting, the game running on a Nexus7 tablet. Amazingly all the mouse interactions work! Press, hold and drag to select units or dirt blocks. From a performance point of view it’s not great, it runs about 17fps, but then again I never started making the game with mobile / tablets in mind.

It’s making me wonder though, with some optimizing …

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2013, 08:10:44 AM »

I dont know if this was asked anywhere else but what are you using to build this? is it being built in flash?

Really like this, I am a big fan of tablet gaming and would love this on an iPad.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »

I dont know if this was asked anywhere else but what are you using to build this? is it being built in flash?

Really like this, I am a big fan of tablet gaming and would love this on an iPad.

It's all being made in Flash from scratch not using any existing frameworks like flixel. I tend to like working from the ground up so I know every inch of code like how I made Reprisal. For the Android / iOS tests I've just been pushing out an AIR build. I think if a tablet version is viable, then I'll prob look to rewrite the blitting engine to Starling, but just need to make sure there is a good enough game first ...

and really need to get Battle Keep out!
That's our main focus ... we need to focus!  Smiley

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 11, 2013, 12:45:06 PM »

That's what I was wondering blotted rendering is really bad on mobile. Stage 3d is the usually I think. I think that's what starling uses.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2013, 04:10:39 AM »

That's what I was wondering blotted rendering is really bad on mobile. Stage 3d is the usually I think. I think that's what starling uses.

Hey Jason, would you say in your experience that the Blitting seems to be the biggest bottle-neck?

I was wondering about the game logic also. I have as yet got to get my head around starling as it appears that objects are added like old school movieclips and their X/Y's updated as opposed to Blitting that completely refreshes the screen each cycle with no physical objects. I'd need to do some serious rewrite to change the game loop ... maybe. Although just typing all that I realise that all the games items have a UID so could in theory just update their Starling objects based on that ... (?)  

I also work with the Flash IDE (5.5) so the starling code demos blown my brain a bit Droop

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2013, 07:32:08 AM »

I might be able to speak to this a little bit too, since we're using Stage3D and Starling extensively in 1849.

Quote from: electrolyte
would you say in your experience that the Blitting seems to be the biggest bottle-neck?

On the PC, I've done games using standard display list (bitmap based and vector based), blitting, and stage3d. Blitting often beats old-school "display list full of bitmaps", but stage3d beats them both by *a lot*.

I haven't tried blitting on mobile, but I'd expect this to be even more pronounced, because stage3d doesn't tax the cpu nearly as much.

I have as yet got to get my head around starling as it appears that objects are added like old school movieclips and their X/Y's updated as opposed to Blitting that completely refreshes the screen each cycle with no physical objects. ... Although just typing all that I realise that all the games items have a UID so could in theory just update their Starling objects based on that ... (?)

Yeah, starling does have an API that's very similar to the old school display list. It's backed by raw quads (e.g. each Image instance is just two triangles with a texture), but it is nice that you can group things inside a container, and move or scale them together.

What I do sounds like what you describe: for each game object, I have a display object in starling, and my game code moves/scales/animates them, so that starling is only responsible for showing them on screen.

I also work with the Flash IDE (5.5) so the starling code demos blown my brain a bit Droop

Wow! I'd strongly encourage checking out Flash Builder, or at least FlashDevelop! With Starling, you can't use vector art or timeline anyway, and those two are much more programming-friendly...

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:43 AM »

@doihaveto Thank you SO much for the reply, hmm ... looks like I may have to roll up my sleeves and look at Flash Builder / Develop. Its good to hear from coders that have used the different techniques as it stops becoming theory.

However ... I need to get my focus sorted and finish Battle Keep (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26629.0), that is being done in Starling by my code partner (for Desktop and tablet versions), and then crack out Cowboys convincing him to code it, and hope my original AS doesn't blow his mind and get thrown in the bin! ha.  Wink

Edit:
This looks interesting, editing the Flash Pro file with Flash builder ...  Smiley

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flashbuilder/using/WSc5cd04c102ae3e97-6e5d439512e1414e588-8000.html
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:05:15 AM by electrolyte » Logged

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2013, 01:21:09 AM »

Good luck with Battle Keep! It looks fantastic, by the way.

billychester
Level 0

My current project - http://forums.tigsource.com/i

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2013, 09:02:12 AM »

Your Color choices are amazing   Shocked.......

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »

So this may not look much, but if you look really really hard you will see a 'circle' of dots plotted around the selected unit which illustrates it's range. I'm chuffed to bits with it as it took a while to come up with a cost-less pixel based solution.

Also added targeting. You can select your units and then 'target' an enemy unit and they will hunt it down ... booooom!!  Smiley

Adobe Scout is an amazing tool for finding code bottle necks, I recommend it. I've got the Nexus version running from about 17fps to now 25fps just by finding bad code bottle necks.

http://gaming.adobe.com/technologies/scout/

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic