Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:10:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat was the first game you made?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: What was the first game you made?  (Read 30730 times)
Average Higgins
Level 1

Huh? What?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007, 10:15:09 PM »

This is such a great thread! AdamAtomic and can-o-spam, both of your games look awesome, especially for being your first (firsts?).

My first game (if you don't count the boring little things I made learning to use Game Maker) was this little game called "Rocket Fish" where you played as a fish who was also a rocket. I was really into it for a while, as were my friends who I forced to test play it for me. After a couple weeks though, I got bored with it and decided to quit making it. However, I didn't want to disappoint my friends so instead of telling them I wasn't going to finish I just made the last level I had been working on impossible. They never got past it and never found out that I had never really finished the game. Devious!

Here is a screenshot (where the aforementioned Rocket Fish is chased by a whale):

And the game itself(!?):
http://www.willhostforfood.com/files/45859/Rocket Fish.exe
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2007, 05:41:15 AM »

This is going to be the first game I have ever completed...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 07:59:51 PM »

Yeah, this thread owns hard. Smiley

My first game designs were always very similar to NES games I liked.  I designed them with my friend Jon.  We had one that was kind of like a Boy and His Blob, where you controlled a fuzzy creature that could change shape.  The puzzles were pretty obtuse, as I recall... like Rube Goldberg machines gone nutso.

My first playable games were text adventures, which all starred characters named "Gunther."  I don't know why, but I thought that was hilarious at the time.

My first non-text game was a two-player battler called "Sasquatch Fight," where you tried to push the other player off a platform into freezing water.  I made it in Klik n' Play!

Here is a screenshot (where the aforementioned Rocket Fish is chased by a whale):

That screen owns hard! Shocked
Tr00jg
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2007, 08:40:41 AM »

My 1st game was a shoddy shoot-em-up in Flash called Crypticcer. It's 80% complete. I made it back in 2004. I think its actually real good for a 1st game.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/312735
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »

Alright, I think it's time I unleashed these beasts on to the world before the B-Game competition really kicks off. First off, is Hostile Contact. I was really obsessed with Phobia 2 and Alien Breed at the time, and wondered why the hell did they not have a cooperative mode. So I made one. Unfortunately The Games Factory has a pretty crap object limit, and so this game isn't quite the world beater I thought it was... still, amusing for a while (plus it has FACEHUGGERS! which you have to tap the fire button to get off your face). I even stole the idea off Alien Breed and morphed cat and cow sounds to create alien screams... a pure classic (although the machine gun sounds like a pea shooter).

Download Hostile Contact Arcade

The others are two games based around the Stargate series (not my fault I assure you) which were utterly slow but provide the hardest top down shootemup challenge I've ever come across. The first is simply a single-player demo of three areas you have to work through, but I'll be damned if I can get to the last screen. Almost one hit kills (if you're lucky when you are hit, you can crawl for a while) and evil AI (they strafe!, they follow you!, they (sometimes) move around obstacles!) make this an experience not to miss...

Download System Lords Demo

Finally is the online version of the game. If you have any friends, this is the ultimate test of your online gaming ability. It uses DirectPlay (still The Games Factory here), and my mate swears by it, saying if you can beat someone at this game, you ARE good at online games. No matter how good your connection is, your lag shooting will be tested to the limit, and possibly your patience too, as the (7!) levels are stupidly large for what usually amounts to 1vs1 or 2vs1 battles. Nevertheless, it does include a working lobby, and in-game chat which obscures the top half of your screen during the game... Unfortunately there's no sounds in these two Stargate games, as I hadn't finished ripping the zatt sounds from the TV show...

Download System Lords Online

If was able to submit these as B-game competition entrants, I would.

Last release: sync::routine
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »

The first game I made was for the Sinclair ZX81, space invaders style. It's long gone now, but here's one I made 32 years later. It isn't much better.. Granted.. But also a joke.. I was just testing some functions in Game Maker, so if we look apart from Flash games, then you can say that this was my first Windows game.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2016, 08:23:45 AM »

Wow this is level 9999 necroposting right here.

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2016, 08:52:53 AM »

And my status still says level 0, must be some kind of bug.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2016, 09:30:13 AM »

Before Silber comes around and locks the thread, I'll just say it takes 100 posts to level up.
Maybe you could use your 100th post on my cool thread that kinda died, if you're up for necrobumping  Shrug
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=46259
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2016, 10:09:24 AM »

Hehe, I actually just glimpsed that it said something about 120 days old when I posted, but I guess it said more than 120 days old. Sure is an old topic, indeed. I'm not all that used to SMF boards.

Nice thread btw, sort of an auto xp thread, but I think I'll try to craft some real xp instead, for now  Tongue

neutonm
Level 0

Elusive Slacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 03:41:21 AM »

I've bet this topic could grow up to 10 pages a day... it's just, i think, most people feel bad about posting their first games as they are to be beyond the limits of "crapness". Can't say i'm different  Tongue

Although there were some first games before THIS, i consider it as my first game that went to public, posted centuries ago:
http://www.caiman.us/scripts/fw/f1907.html

Something a ambitious teen would make, i was happy about it back then. But now my eyes are bleeding and yet some warmth pops up. If u're OK with that people, i can post more feces.  

There was this guy back then, Rudy Caiman, the owner of the website above. He helped with the graphics and other things - he was  mentor to me and i've received all of support and encouragement from him. He was coolest guy ever, RIP man Cry

Evilperson
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 03:05:27 PM »

Well then, I guess I'll share mine too and hopefully we'll keep this thread going.

I called it 'MultiJump' because you can jump multiple times and young EvilPerson Evilperson didn't yet hate capitalization in the middle of words.

As you might notice, I wasn't confident in my art skills.
If you look close enough, you'll notice that I stole some art assets from Thomas Was Alone.

I also thought that forcing the player to play through the game backwards while invisible was a good idea.

I'll provide a download link when I feel like it in case somehow somebody is incentivized(is that a word?) to play it by the above images.
(also help i dont know how to make images smaller)
Lars3n95
Level 0

KiLa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2016, 07:55:47 AM »

At the moment I am really proud about my first game. It is "Numbers Game": https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kila.zahlenspielpro.lars

First I thought this app will fail. I only got 2-5 downloads a day. I expected so much, because I developed over 3 months on this app (I really wanted to learn programming for Android so I watched so many videos and tutorials), but got a bit disappointed at the beginning. Now I am really happy how this continued and I think I can be really proud about this app.
But if I take a look at the source code I wrote 2 years ago...  Shocked Facepalm
 Grin

notrodta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2016, 06:23:22 PM »

The first game i made is called "Pop The Bubble"
It's a game where you have to press the button of the matching color to pop the bubble of the same color thats floating down, it's really simple but it took me forever to finish it lol. I released it for iphones, but for some reason, there seems to be a problem with androids, so i gave up on androids  Shrug

Here's a screen shot
readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2016, 02:42:57 PM »

My first game was a choose-your-own adventure story about a circle with eyes...thing. It was pretty strange, looking back on it.
Jason S. Longia
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2016, 10:55:43 PM »

And my status still says level 0, must be some kind of bug.
This conversation made my day. Thank you... also commenting to gain XP and avoid
this thread from being locked before I get a chance to comment- I mean-
My first game was done in RPG Maker 2003. It was okay, I dont have it because I
lost it in the many years I had it. (Inb4 anyone says "convenient excuse is convenient) amirite?  Cheesy

Basically I was just making maps as levels and using ships and boats and shit to maneuver...
like a travel simulator or something; open World. I think that's how the kids nowadays say it.  Cheesy

Aliases: R3MR pronounced "Reemer or Remmer."
Powerword: Jason S. Longia (lol)

A pleasure to meet you all. I am Jason, an avant-garde composer.

I also dabble in the game making
and art making scene.

Gamejolt: https://remr.gamejolt.io
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jason-s-longia
fergie77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2016, 12:44:49 PM »

Well since this thread is quite near the top I don't imagine it would be a problem to post...

The first game I made was called Boxy Build, I'm pretty new to gamedev so it was actually only completed in February of this year.

It's a tower building game that I expanded on from a tutorial created by Quill18 on youtube. (Was my first experience with Unity). I was pretty happy with how it turned out tbh.

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2016, 06:25:17 PM »

I actually found the first game I made, but it was from a magazine, and I was 8..

sonder
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2016, 08:07:45 AM »

Sadly, mine is lost in the sands of time, and I don't even remember which one it was.

But there was a Tic Tac Toe made in Logo Writer.  My family was pretty impressed.
bittwyst
Level 1

Twitter: @bittwyst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »

Hm I started in BASIC on an Amstrad CPC, besides adapting tutorial stuff the first one I can remember writing myself was a rubbish text adventure (with occasional ASCII graphics of a spooky ghost). And I did another little rubbish adventure game in some text adventure maker/engine that my dad got.
Did odds & sods on the Amiga (Blitz Basic 2 was awesome), fucked around in QBasic on the PC, etc, but never really finished anything. Trying to finish my first real game in Unity now.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic