Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411427 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:24:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsGame Maker Tuts
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24
Print
Author Topic: Game Maker Tuts  (Read 355203 times)
Ant
« Reply #400 on: February 24, 2013, 12:47:37 AM »

Some of the screen functions are obsolete now in Studio. The screen scaling tutorial isn't necessary from what I gather since Studio does a good job with scaling. I get a lot of visual problems with my Radeon graphics card playing GM8 games that I don't see with Studio.
siskavard
« Reply #401 on: February 24, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »

Well it's making my sprites fuzzy, so I was hoping to eradicate that.

Im finding a lot of tutorials to be obsolete.
Ant
« Reply #402 on: February 24, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »

Have you got the interpolate setting turned off in global game settings?
siskavard
« Reply #403 on: February 24, 2013, 11:13:15 AM »

Hey that seems to have done the trick, thanks!
meek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: February 25, 2013, 01:17:46 PM »

Having a bit of an issue. I'm drawing a GUI and I don't really want to use objects for it. There's more than 8 different buttons, so I don't want to use resources to keep them on screen. Basically, when the mouse is over the drawn sprite (each button is drawn in one script), it shows some text. Unfortunately, and I hope I'm wrong...but it seems I can't get drawn sprites to function in this way.

Current code I'm using:

Code:
if (position_meeting(mouse_x,mouse_y,spr_gui_button1)) {
global.buttontext="button1)"
}

Any idea how I can get around this?

Family is all that matters now.
Sheltered Devlog
ink.inc
« Reply #405 on: February 25, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »

you need to use the draw_text functions in the draw event

make sure you use draw_sprite as well or the hud itself won't show up
meek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: February 25, 2013, 01:24:03 PM »

you need to use the draw_text functions in the draw event

make sure you use draw_sprite as well or the hud itself won't show up

I've already drawn all of the GUI and the text, that's in a separate script. I'm just trying to get it to register the mouse over.

edit: Sorry, I didn't realise the original post didn't mention that I'd already drawn everything already.

Sheltered Devlog
Ant
« Reply #407 on: February 25, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »

Nope the mouse cursor doesn't have a collision mask unless you have an object that follows the cursor in which case you could do it using collision events. If not you could always just rely on checking the mouse_x and mouse_y on button press to check if it's within a certain area of the screen.
meek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: February 25, 2013, 01:44:35 PM »

would it have to be on button press? Also, would it just be more efficient to actually use objects for the gui, I imagine it's somewhat intensive to be checking where the mouse is every step.

The reason I ask is because when hovering over the button, I want the text to show the shortcut of that particular button.

Sheltered Devlog
Ant
« Reply #409 on: February 25, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »

You can have it on hover too. It would probably be slightly more efficient to have a single GUI button object that reacts only upon collision with a mouse object, but I can't imagine it would have much effect on performance.
meek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: February 25, 2013, 01:49:11 PM »

I'd rather not litter everything with objects. I have enough of them already. Thanks for the help

Sheltered Devlog
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 25, 2013, 02:13:19 PM »

Having a bit of an issue. I'm drawing a GUI and I don't really want to use objects for it. There's more than 8 different buttons, so I don't want to use resources to keep them on screen. Basically, when the mouse is over the drawn sprite (each button is drawn in one script), it shows some text. Unfortunately, and I hope I'm wrong...but it seems I can't get drawn sprites to function in this way.

Current code I'm using:

Code:
if (position_meeting(mouse_x,mouse_y,spr_gui_button1)) {
global.buttontext="button1)"
}

Any idea how I can get around this?
you can't use a sprite for collision checking. also 8 UI objects should hardly be a problem.

if you really want to avoid using them you'd have to store the button locations in variables (maybe an array?). but tbh i don't think it's worth it. just use objects.  Smiley
meek
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: February 25, 2013, 02:16:13 PM »

Thanks for the tips. After toying around, I've just gone with using objects. Cheers, people!

Sheltered Devlog
siskavard
« Reply #413 on: March 03, 2013, 03:04:23 PM »

I'm guessing it's alright to ask questions here:

The player in my platformer is wall-jumping, & I don't want him to, & I'm not saavy enough with GML to fix it (even though I've tried to)

Jump code:

//Jumping
if (Key_Jump)
{
    if (grounded) vsp = -12;

}

vsp += grav;

Horizontal collision code:

//Horizontal Collision
if place_meeting(x+hsp,y,par_wall)
{
    while (!place_meeting(x+sign(hsp),y,par_wall)) x+=sign(hsp);
    hsp = 0;
}

----

this is based off of the tutorial found here:

Cheers!
toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: March 06, 2013, 06:00:57 AM »

Jump code:

//Jumping
if (Key_Jump)
{
    if (grounded) vsp = -12;

}

Hi! What's happening with your grounded variable? Could be it's returning true when the player collides horizontally with a wall object, allowing you to "jump" again? ... unless you've already figured this out - in which case: huzzah!
siskavard
« Reply #415 on: March 06, 2013, 07:19:19 AM »

Could be, I have no idea, I just followed this tutorial, thinking I could pick up some rudimentary GML along the way. Everything I've tried to write on my own always returns an error, so I'm just going to go back to D&D objects or just use an engine for now. It's way too slow for me to get completely stuck on a problem right now when I just want to implement gameplay changes & tweaks.

Appreciate the help though!

toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #416 on: March 06, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »

No problem, sorry I can't be more help Sad But I'm assuming it has something to do with grounded returning true when you don't want it to.

I haven't watched the video (a bit long, heh), but it looks very extensive. I totally sympathize with the feeling of two steps forward, three steps back, so I completely understand not wanting to muck around with anything and break things further.

If you have any questions or get stuck again, feel free to PM me - I've played around with Game Maker quite a bit.

Good luck on your project!
Reggie02
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 09, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »

Hey guys. I'm new to tigsource, game maker studio and game developing as a whole. My question is how do you save in game maker? I know of game_save but that isn't in GM studio.
Help would be appreciated, Thanks!
toborprime
Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: March 10, 2013, 07:46:23 AM »

I haven't had much experience yet with Game Maker Studio. All my work has been done so far in GM 8.1 and previous versions, but looking in the help file for studio under 'ini files' and 'file system limits' would be an excellent starting point. Creating .ini files and writing info to them based on the player's progress seems like the way to go...?

In the Sandboxing section under 'file system limits' it looks like they give you pretty extensive instructions for working in whatever platform you're developing your game for.

(Mac, Windows 7, Android, etc.)
Reggie02
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 10, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »

Thanks for the reply!  Smiley I'll most definitely look at that

cheers
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 24
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic