Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:11:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFlight of the Data-Thief - Star Fox Style Rail-Shooter
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Flight of the Data-Thief - Star Fox Style Rail-Shooter  (Read 19607 times)
illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2013, 06:14:43 PM »

The last build feels great and i really like the crosshairs, just wish that i could change the mouse sensitivity in the game or maybe play with a controller  Hand Thumbs Up Right

You're doing a great job   Grin
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »

I just wanted to quickly say how awesome it is to see the number of games you put out (this is the third of yours I've seen since discovering this site). It's a struggle to find the time to finish off one project, let alone pumping out games on a regular basis...it's really inspiring to see!  Beer!

Thanks!  A lot of that is taking on projects that I can see the end of from the start, ie. "oh, this should only take a month or two, I know everything I'm going to have to do to make this a game", and then sometimes expanding from there once I've got a handle on it (as with this and Venusian Vengeance). Plus, when I first joined, I was jealous of the pace at which guys like cactus and Increpare could turn out new games, so that's given me the urge to try to make a lot of games in not a lot of time.

The last build feels great and i really like the crosshairs, just wish that i could change the mouse sensitivity in the game or maybe play with a controller  Hand Thumbs Up Right

You're doing a great job   Grin

Thanks!  Yeah, I plan to have both adjustable mouse sensitivity and controller support by the time I'm done with the game.

hryx
Level 0

bleached fife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »

Not bad, Alec! I look forward to seeing how this is coming along at TIGJam. ~O-O~
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2013, 02:49:01 AM »

I love the 1st Starfox and this is looking pretty nice. Two things though.

1. Is the music in the trailer (which btw sounds a bit like "Spacelab" by Kraftwerk) the one you intend to use for the game? Personally I'm not sure if it fits. I'd use a steady drum beat or at least accentuate the rhythm more sharply to imply perpetual forward motion.

2. The leaf texture in the forest level looks kinda out of place imo.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »

Not bad, Alec! I look forward to seeing how this is coming along at TIGJam. ~O-O~

Thanks!  Looking forward to it!   Beer!

I love the 1st Starfox and this is looking pretty nice. Two things though.

1. Is the music in the trailer (which btw sounds a bit like "Spacelab" by Kraftwerk) the one you intend to use for the game? Personally I'm not sure if it fits. I'd use a steady drum beat or at least accentuate the rhythm more sharply to imply perpetual forward motion.

2. The leaf texture in the forest level looks kinda out of place imo.

1. Something similar to that piece will be in the game, although by then I will have added a rhythm track to it.  This is the first game where I'm using FLStudio rather than PXTone for the music, so I'm still getting the hang of things.  Of the pieces I've been working on so far, this one was the one that fit best.

2. Yeah, that's a holdover from when I was planning on pixel textures.  I'll see about removing/replacing it.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2013, 11:15:27 AM »

the reddit isn't picking up

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2013, 01:28:04 PM »

Decided I once again wasn't happy with the standard enemy movement behavior.  They now take player location into account and will tend to fly towards the area directly in front of the player.  This way the player can kind of lead enemies into danger by flying through areas with a lot of obstacles.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2013, 01:28:59 PM »

That's a lot of cool things you are saying just right now

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »

Keep forgetting that I have a deadline to submit a built to IndieCade.   Who, Me?

Fortunately it's still a little ways off and I'm in a pretty good position.  Aside from things like sound and UI, I just need to add a couple more stages, and polish the stages I have already.  I plan to have a 3x3 grid of levels in the Indiecade build.  This will also be the preview build that comes with the "$50 or more" level on the Kickstarter.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2013, 10:06:16 AM »

Flight of the Data-Thief on IndieStatik:  http://indiestatik.com/2013/05/10/fight-across-the-low-poly-landscapes-of-flight-of-the-data-thief/

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2013, 10:48:03 AM »

I have also, after all this time, finally gotten knockback working more or less properly.  I still need to tweak the numbers, but you'll now be able to ram enemies to knock them into solid walls and such.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »

Changed the way speed-up powerups work.  Now each individual speed-up ring has less of an effect, but they also stack.  So if you hit 4 in a row, you'll go faster for longer than if you just hit one.  This will let me place more of the powerups in more places without having every powerup let you outrun all the enemies every time you hit them, and you have to have a bit of skill to basically build your combo to grab the powerups.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »

-fixed the second level in the Kickstarter demo build.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2013, 11:55:28 AM »

Welp, I've submitted a build to Indiecade.

Honestly, should the Kickstarter fail (as it's currently poised to do), I'm arguing with myself about either taking time off from this project or cutting planned content to so that I can finish it sooner, as I'm starting to get burnt out on it.  Although how I feel about the game can change by the week, so we'll see.  At the very least, I'll try to get the game up to 9 levels (a 3x3 square of levels) and get a reasonable amount of polish in before releasing it.  Considering the original plan was to create a small 4 level game before I started letting the scope build up, I think that's not bad.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »

well kickstarter is marathon, you didn't grew it too, and I think the lack of a compelling "universe" might also kill ... it's "just" a star fox clone. That enough only for me apperently XD

Get an easily editable game that allow to turn it into starfox then release it Who, Me?

farmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2013, 07:06:54 AM »

I think you just need to change the ship.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2013, 02:49:17 PM »

Honestly, should the Kickstarter fail (as it's currently poised to do)
Well, to be honest, as much as some people do enjoy a good low-poly game, it doesn't exactly strike the general public as impressive (hell, not a whole lot does anymore) and that is probably where a big part of the problem with Kickstarting it lies. Visually, it's reaching a point where only a certain subset of people are going to appreciate the style.

EDIT: Also, I noticed that your higher tier rewards weren't all that great.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2013, 03:03:23 PM »

Which is all the more reason I shouldn't keep pouring time into the game, especially if I'm getting burnt out on it.  It's already a fairly substantial for a short game, and there are other projects that I'm more interested in pursuing.  Still haven't made any concrete decisions yet, though.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »

How far are you in? what's missing?

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »

Well, the main thing was I wanted a 4x4 grid of 16 levels which the player would choose a path through (some levels would be hidden).  Along with the other levels would come more enemy designs as well.  I've currently got 7 levels, meaning I'm two off from a 3x3 grid.  

I also wanted to have some comm chatter giving you instructions and stuff and giving the game a bit of narrative context.

Then there's just general interface design stuff and polish.

So basically either I make 2 more levels, one or two more enemies, give the game a proper beginning and ending and a reasonable amount of polish, or I make 9 more levels, give it a proper beginning, ending and comm chatter throughout, and give it a higher level of polish overall.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:27:58 PM by Alec S. » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic