Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:58:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRituals
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rituals  (Read 607 times)
manabreak
Level 0

dManabreak @ Twitter

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:21:21 AM »

Rituals

'Rituals' is my first heavy-scale project. I started working on it almost a year ago (back then, with XNA), but the process ended as I didn't have a clear vision and I stopped using XNA. Now, the Fenix has risen from the ashes, this time powered by my own hand-written engine!

Here's a screenshot from the original, XNA-based project:

What is it?
Back then, it was just a random-dungeon crawler with just about nothing to do. Now, it has grown to be an action RPG with a story! Now, the graphics portion should be the most interesting part here: It's a full 3D game, but it will look like a 2D retro game. It will feature full dynamic lighting and shadows, combined with pixel graphics to make a combination of old and new (the image above isn't even close to what will be!). There's real-time physics involved along with destructible stuff. You can launch a huge magic missile to blow out walls (and enemies, of course), or you may get flattened by a falling rock. Smiley

What about the gameplay? It's a combination of old RPGs like Link to the Past, with hints of modern hack'n'slash. The focus will be split between the story, adventuring and fighting. The story starts off all nice and calm, but things get dark pretty fast...  Noir

Who's doing this?
I, manabreak. I'm a master's student of information processing from Finland. I've worked in the gaming industry and done some scientific 3D visualization as well. On my spare time, I've done a lot of games-related stuff, although I have never published anything. I'm working on 'Rituals' alone.

When is it coming out?
Hard to say, it depends of so many things. I'm trying to get some money so I could focus more heavily on this without having to worry about the income, and the more money I can get from i.e. cultural aids, the faster the game will get finished. I would say that the game engine and internal dev tools are ready in the next two months or so, and the game content would be ready by the end of 2013. I really want to aim the next fall (say, August or September), but I really can't say anything conclusive at this point.
manabreak
Level 0

dManabreak @ Twitter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:12:07 AM »

Update - 28th of Feb. 2013
The rendering engine is starting to build up. For the last few weeks, I've been wrestling with the deferred rendering pipeline and lighting engine. Here's a sneak peek of the current result (although it's from a perspective view) Smiley

The next list of tasks consists of finalizing the lighting stuff, improving the shadowing and optimizing some stuff that's hogging up resources. After that, it's resource management time. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic