Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411980 Posts in 69438 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 16, 2024, 06:51:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessInitilizing my company's game name / Selling Physical copies
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Initilizing my company's game name / Selling Physical copies  (Read 1465 times)
jMedina
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »

Hello TIGForums,

So far I know (i Live in the US) I need to register my business name with local State Offices. I'm good with that. What I really don't know is, if i have, also, to register my name's game too. Or can i just sell my game without register any names?

Also, I'm planning to sell physical copies of my game ONLINE. Is a must to print the UPC Barcode? Also, what other requerements I need to sell my physical copies?

Thank you
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:07:54 AM by jMedina » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 09:35:07 AM »

you are incorrect about the first part; you do not need to register a business to sell indie games. you can just sell them. it'd fall under self-employment tax, and you'd be 'doing business as' yourself. the only reason to register a business is if you want to receive checks / payments to a company name rather than to your own name

Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 02:59:49 AM »

A major advantage of organizing your business as an LLC or an S corp is that you can protect your personal assets from the creditors of your business. "Limited liability means you can't be financially responsible for more than your investment in the company," writes Greg McFarlane in his book, Control Your Cash: Making Money Make Sense. "If you put in $10,000, and incur $11,000 in debt, you're only potentially liable for $10,000. Your creditors (check that, your LLC's creditors) can't 'pierce the corporate veil,' as the phrase goes."

Another common aspect of LLCs and S corps is that they help you avoid paying both personal and corporate taxes. The difference is that in an S corp, owners pay themselves salaries plus receive dividends from any additional profits the corporation may earn, while an LLC is a "pass-through entity," which means that all the income and expenses from the business get reported on the LLC operator's personal income tax return, says Ebong Eka, a CPA who also pens his own blog about the world of entrepreneurship at MoneyMentoringMinutes.com.

Both LLCs and S corps can also deduct pre-tax expenses, such as travel, uniforms, computers, phone bills, advertising, promotion, gifts, car expenses, and health car premiums, McFarlane writes.

From this site

It's important to note that if you start an LLC or an S corp you will have to do a name search as part of your application process.

You don't have to register your product name, but if you prefer Federal protections for your title you can apply for a copyright with the USTPO.
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 03:13:27 AM »

From this site:

Do I need a UPC number?

If you sell products to a distributor or a retailer, you will typically need a UPC barcode. If you are not sure, it is best to contact the company selling your product to find out their policy on UPC barcodes. When you obtain your UPC number, you will also get a certificate authenticating your number. Most retailers require proof of the certificate to verify that your number is unique and authorized.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 03:32:53 AM »

I think the OP is going to sell his game directly to customers, not through a retailer or distributor?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
jMedina
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 04:07:22 AM »

I think the OP is going to sell his game directly to customers, not through a retailer or distributor?
Exactly.

To Mister Dave: Thank you so much, you held me a lot!
Mister Dave
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 07:55:51 AM »

You're very welcome. You didn't say what venue you were using so..... But should you decide to sell on Amazon later, they may require those UPC codes. You'll have to ask them - I only sell downloadable products on Amazon so I wouldn't know.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic