Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411480 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58425 Members - Latest Member: solpreston

April 23, 2024, 09:15:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDefez 3: Mortar
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Defez 3: Mortar  (Read 9498 times)
increpare
« on: October 07, 2008, 02:02:10 AM »

Here we present the third adventure in our hero's quest (first, second).  10,000 procedurally-generated levels this time, I promise.

The controls have been simplified to up/down/left/right

I do not particularly want to make explicit the 'crushing' mechanism used; it might take some thought to figure it out though.

DOWNLOAD FOR OSX 10.5 | WIN (~ 500kb)

(source in the windows zip)

(subtitle courtesy of Terry)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:30:07 AM by increpare » Logged
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 02:24:30 AM »

How do you move? D:

Also, in the Windows download, it seems that you can't run the game without a file called alleg42.dll , now, you have an alleg43.dll , but no 42. Renaming the file to alleg42.dll did the trick.

BUT GOD, HOW DO I MOVE?
increpare
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 02:34:57 AM »

damn.  included the wrong dll.  Fixed, I think.  Apologies about that.

So, LEVEL ONE WALKTHROUGH (possible spoilers):

You start in 2D view.  Press right to 'squish' to a horizontal view.  When in this view you can press left/right to move, and up/down will unsquish).  You can only walk on green pieces.  You can only move when in 1D view.  So you should be able to move to the right now to get to the yellow brick.

If you just pressed up instead of right...oh wait, I think you'd just finish the level because you're horizontally aligned with the exit.  But that wouldn't work in level two.
diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 03:02:36 AM »

Interesting concept. A bit like Squish. It could be much, much more enjoyable with proper graphics, though, and a bit of animation.
increpare
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:09:43 AM »

Interesting concept. A bit like Squish.
It's very consciously like squish; the series essentially resulted from a comment on the squish thread.

It could be much, much more enjoyable with proper graphics, though, and a bit of animation.
Yeah, you're right.  If you haven't been following the earlier games it probably won't be clear that the series is really a series of prototypes; I don't spend more than a couple of hours on them.  The series is an attempt to explore 1/2-Dimensional variations of the crush/squish/fez mechanic until I get bored: I have Defez 4 done, and 5, 6, and 7 more or less planned.   Maybe when I've them all behind me and am confident I've explored the mechanic to my satisfaction I might try to put together something more substantial.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 03:13:01 AM by increpare » Logged
diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 03:15:31 AM »

Sounds awesome. Smiley
Rory
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 06:35:20 PM »

So confused WTF
Zaphos
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 09:05:18 PM »

Very cool!  This one felt more natural than 2; I felt like I was thinking intuitively about the system directly instead of doing the mapping back to 2D mazes.  And as usual, nice ending Wink
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »

Argh! Conceptually (and aesthetically), I like this the best, but why are the keys so sticky? I have to hold whichever direction for like half a second before anything happens. Is this by design? If so, what's the idea?

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »

Is this a 1D game!?!?  Shocked  WTF

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »

Increpare is the master of 1D.

increpare
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 11:18:44 PM »

thanks for trying it out guys guys.

Argh! Conceptually (and aesthetically), I like this the best, but why are the keys so sticky?
hmm. they're not meant to be sticky(I remember meaning to make them less sticky; but I didn't notice it the last time I played so I assumed I must have dealt with it).  I'll look into it...

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 03:48:45 AM »

I don't understand this.

increpare
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 03:51:27 AM »

I don't understand this.
Cheers for having a look at it.  It might take some concentration to figure out exactly how the mechanic works.  I think I've structured the levels enough that it should be reasonably possible, though ...
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 04:02:55 AM »

No, I can play it just fine. I just don't understand it.

increpare
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 04:06:35 AM »

No, I can play it just fine. I just don't understand it.
How can you do one without doing the other?
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 04:08:18 AM »

I press a button and everything aligns. I press another button and a square moves to the goal. HOW DID IT ALIGN.

increpare
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 04:25:28 AM »

I press a button and everything aligns. I press another button and a square moves to the goal. HOW DID IT ALIGN.
Ah; so by 'play it fine', you mean that you know what buttons do things, but you don't really know what exactly they are doing? 

In general, when you tell us that you're playing a game, are we to take it to mean that you know how to get the game to respond to your input in some way, though not that you necessarily have any meaningful interpretation of this response or its effect upon the game in question?

Spoiler:
(removed)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 04:34:03 AM by increpare » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 04:28:56 AM »

Yes. But I'm weird, so.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 11:07:09 AM »

Maybe you should read the original game's thread, Hideous.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic