Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 04:54:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow do I market a consulting service?
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: How do I market a consulting service?  (Read 3612 times)
Columbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »

Secondly, I'm not selling myself as a person. I'm selling a service and thats that. I'm a company, I have a product and this is business. Its all about focusing on what really matters.

I'm afraid to say that it's very relevant who you are with this particular service. First thing I looked for is the bit on the website that establishes your credentials as a game designer. Unfortunately what I was looking for was shipped games, plenty of them, and ideally successful ones (either in the indie or mainstream space). My feeling is that without that experience, no-one will want to pay for your consultancy services no matter how well you get the word out or improve the website.

I think if you're really going to pursue this path then you will have to do as others have suggested and offer your services for free and then rely on endorsements from teams you've helped to bolster your CV.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »

Ditto on the endorsements.  I've got a few of those now and I know they'll be really helpful when I put together a proper page for my contracting services.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 07:56:47 PM »

This may have been mentioned somewhere in this thread already, but if you have no street-cred, consider offering your services for free for a bit just for the experience, and specifically for written references/endorsements that can go on to your website.

Last year when I decided to get into advergaming, I had to do a whole bunch of free stuff for friendly clients (i.e. mates) which then went on to my website.  Very slowly, but surely I started getting some decent contracts over time.

Also you were asking above about how you wanted more marketing advice rather than web-site feedback.  Your website is a major part of your marketing, and as mentioned many times if it looks anything less than top notch, it will be damaging to your brand.

themeforest.com is a really good place to get some really easy to use templates, I think I got mine from there for about 30 bucks or so.

Finally, what you're doing here is a good exercise in determining if there actually is a market to cater for.  I guess you're aiming at the lower end indie devs so the responses here may give you an indication of interest.

Personally speaking though, if it's affordable and you have proven experience I could see some value.  Also as mentioned above, you may be able to add testing to your services as well which would be a complimentary to what you want to do.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »

Reactor, I suggested changes to your services and not your marketing because:
  1. The best way to market consulting is through: pay or portfolio development.
  2. You can't pay (I assume).
  3. The best way to develop a portfolio is approach people and develop your skills.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic