Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:03:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe TigSource Community Game
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The TigSource Community Game  (Read 3422 times)
theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:21:31 AM »

Hello guys,

I know there are lots of talent here on the Tigsource forums and I think we should make a community game. All efforts will be solely voluntary unless we figure out how to monetize the game.

I believe we can democratically pick the genre, graphic viewpoint[2D or 3D] and move onward from there.

The only thing is we will have to ensure the game works on Windows, Mac, Linux and hopefully OUYA, GameStick, OpenPandora, GCw Zero, etc.

What do you think of this idea?

-The (overly) ambitious open source cross-platform game engine.
theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »

The game doesn't have to be a massive rpg or mmo, but through faith and hope it is still possible...

Ant
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 11:54:20 AM »

I've often thought a roguelike would make a good community project. You have a small group of talented coders and designers to steer the core rules of the game, then everybody else is left to sort out the fluff like design dungeons, the pixel sprites, descriptions and general ideas for monsters/skills/etc.
theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »

Of course,

We would have to work hard.

Also a roguelike-game is an excellent idea...

tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 06:56:36 AM »

I've recently become obsessed with roguelikes, so I heartily support this project.   Gentleman
theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:15:19 AM »

Whats your skillset?

tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:27:50 AM »

Not really what I meant, but... meh.

I can do roguelike character graphics decently (mostly because when I first played Desktop Dungeons I fell in love with it) but I'm yet to try my hand at tilesets. I think I may be at least partially redundant, even if you want me to help, because a roguelike made with the Free Placeholder Graphics http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=31078.0 would be awesome. I could try my hand at adding additional tiles and sprites to the collection if we used them.

Additionally, my mind appears to be made of pure insanity, so I could suggest quests, monsters, equipment, design dungeons, etc. You don't actually have to USE them, but I'll make them from time to time if you think I could be helpful. I don't have much experience in much, but I'll definitely try my hand at just about anything if it helps. And, of course, the design of everything depends on what people decide we should go for.
theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:09:13 AM »

So all in for a Roguelike game?

Ant
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 06:33:44 AM »

All two of you? You could do with finding a proficient coder at least before finalising stuff.
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 06:40:51 AM »

That does seem necessary. And I don't suggest you rely on me too heavily either, as I'm a full time college student with limited free time, but I'm perfectly happy helping out.
theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 07:16:48 AM »

Okay, let us keep the search going for a dedicated team.

I'm also a full time college student, with a part time job and a game I need to finish.
 Gentleman

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 05:45:20 PM »

Add modding support, then mods will add the most content.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
poe
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »

Add modding support, then mods will add the most content.

This. If you create the base engine and make it fully modular, it will be very easy for the entire forum to collaborate.
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 11:35:41 PM »

Roguelike engines are typically simple enough to build depending on the desired feature sets and platform, so that actually sounds like a nice gametype for a collab project: Once the meat of the coding is done the game could keep growing via delicious heaps of asset potatoes alone.

Community collaboration and modularity sounds almost ambitious enough to peak my interest, but I'm left wondering why you wouldn't simply re-purpose the open source Nethack engine?

What unique features would it have that would draw interest from a lazy coder who's 1st instinct is to simply re-use existing code if possible? (laziness is a coder's core virtue)

Not that I need another project on my plate right now, just a curious coder.

Also, if you're serious why not re-post in (better yet, have the thread moved to) collabs? (or devlogs if you're really serious)

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 04:29:25 AM »

The way I see it, the game has to follow a few guidelines, if we want to build it.

1. It has to be 2d, so that it is easy to make art for.
2. It has to have lots of features, like Minecraft, or a roguelike, or anything with basic gameplay, but many elements.
3. It has to be easy to mod.
4. It can't really have a story, cause that would get confusing without some sort of director.

Given these, (and whatever I forgot), I think that maybe we should make a shmup. Someone builds a basic engine, then we build tons of enemies and levels or something.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Ant
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 04:45:53 AM »

Meh, a shmup doesn't really get my juices flowing. My vote goes for a simple roguelike focused on exploration.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2013, 04:48:17 AM »

Maybe one on an island, based around survival? Like, pick up food, build a house, fight monkeys...

Ant
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 04:56:10 AM »

I was thinking more along the lines of a traditional combat roguelike, except instead of always being in a dungeon you could explore a world. So travel to settlements to ply trade and missions, search for ruined temples in forests and dungeons in the mountains, etc, which can be explored for booty and rare items. I'm bored of every roguelike being set in a dungeon.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2013, 04:59:35 AM »

I'll be honest at the start here. The only roguelike I've ever played is something called powder that my friend gave me. I didn't like it that much. However, if I can build a roguelike, I'm sure it would be interesting.

Anyone want to actually build a roguelike base?

PS: Roguelike... in spaaaaaaace!

theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »

Woah! Roguelike in space!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic