Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:46:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCamp Keepalive, 80's horror movie-themed TBS
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Camp Keepalive, 80's horror movie-themed TBS  (Read 679 times)
klembot
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »

We just released a demo of Camp Keepalive, a turn-based strategy game themed around 80's horror movies. The goal is to rescue campers before they're eaten by a whole host of monsters. You control a team of counselors, each one with a special power.

Win and Mac versions are here: http://twofoldsecret.com/campkeepalive

The plan is to build out a full game with missions that have different goals, i.e. so you're not necessarily doing the ferry-the-campers-to-the-cabin thing all of the time, and also add in more counselor, monster, and terrain types.

Two things I'm wondering about:
  • Any suggestions on streamlining the tutorial? We've already cut it down a lot from what we originally had, but I still think it can get smaller.
  • Are there anything annoying or confusing about the UI? For example, a lot of early feedback we got from people was that they had trouble getting a sense of the entire strategic situation, so we added the minimap.

I will never reveal the twofold secret.
pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 12:43:44 AM »

Wow, that's a really original idea!

I'm going to have to download it later and I'll leave feedback afterwards. Smiley

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:11:14 AM »

First impressions based on the tutorial:

- The music is a bit too happy for the mood that the game and the graphics seem to give off which, while the tutorial is full of quips and not-so-serious remarks, it just feels anti-mood-setting.

- The tutorial messages are hilarious.

- I noticed a typo; "You'll noticed we've made a note of your success in the upper left corner."

- The tutorial doesn't teach you nearly enough. By the time the "ideal" amount of turns has passed for the tutorial, you've only met two of four of your counselors and, on top of that, you haven't really had a chance to even see their abilities in action. Just hear what they are and move the counselors back and forth. I had tried to place a trap once with Wyatt but to no avail and I have no idea why it didn't work because the game didn't tell me the conditions under which I could place a trap.

EDIT: Played one round of the main game.

Too many monsters. Not enough time to deal with them. Since you can only move counselors once every 4 turns apparently (each one has to be used for them to reset, it appears, though I only ever reached the fourth turn), you're left pretty much hoping that wherever you left the other 3 counselors is safe enough until their next turn, often left trying to decide whether to move the kid or place a trap with both options ending in the kid dying.

EDIT2: I've seen a few comments about others that seem to like it as-is, though, so maybe I got dealt a bad hand.

The kids themselves have a really really bad habit of walking into monsters. During my third turn, I think, two kids that had JUST shown up on the map walked right next to monsters and then the monsters had their turns before I had mine so they were killed before I even had a chance to react, much less save them.

And for what it's worth, since the map is so small, I found the minimap to be pretty much useless and in the way.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:02:53 AM by johnki » Logged

theweirdn8
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:52:57 AM »

I crave a Linux port.

-The (overly) ambitious open source cross-platform game engine.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic