Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 11:58:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Pillow Fighter 2D
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Super Pillow Fighter 2D  (Read 11278 times)
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2007, 08:26:38 AM »

Hi,
Super Pillow Fighter 2D is an independent game I've been working on for a while now.  It's a 2d fighter played with smash rules.  Up to four players can battle it out in hot-seat multiplayer against each other or the computer.  It was written in C++ with OpenGL, DevIL, OpenAL, and Ogg Vorbis, for graphics, sound, and music.  It is currently supported on Windows 2k/xp.  There is a problem with the installer that prevents it from installing on Vista, so it is not supported on that operating system.

There is a demo and more information available at superpillowfighter.com

I'm trying to get the word out about my game and get some constructive criticism. Thanks in advance for any feedback!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 08:29:32 AM by the_dannobot » Logged

Dannobot on Twitter
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 09:07:04 AM »

Because I wrote some feedback on the game's Manifesto Games forum thread, I can't really say much else that I didn't say there.

But out of curiosity, did Manifesto ever contact you, will this game appear there?

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:11:51 AM »

No, I never heard anything back from the Manifesto Games people.  I would still like to have them carry my game, but I think their silence means they aren't interested.

edit:  Also, I only posted that thread in their forums after trying to contact them through the methods described on their "developers" page and getting no response.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:45:25 AM by the_dannobot » Logged

Dannobot on Twitter
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 10:43:32 AM »

Hey, since you pointed out that inaccuracy about Mei, I thought of a fun fact that you might get a kick out of.

The guy who did my sound effects didn't have a handy Asian girl to read Mei's lines.  So all Mei's voice acting was actually done by a Puerto Rican woman Smiley  It sounds really cute though, and all the voice acting and sound effects in general sound fantastic.

Dannobot on Twitter
Lachie Dazdarian
Level 0

Yes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 11:51:14 AM »

Damn, I had an exactly same idea for a game. It was even entitled Pillow Fighters (well, it still is Tongue). Although, I'm not giving up. My idea is somewhat different in design and concept, but not much. Oh, well. Will try to download your game, it the size is acceptable (I'm on limited bandwidth).
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 11:58:58 AM »

Damn, I had an exactly same idea for a game. It was even entitled Pillow Fighters (well, it still is Tongue). Although, I'm not giving up.

Give it up Smiley  http://capybaragames.com/content/game_PF.htm

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:52:13 PM »

Alright, I downloaded it and I'm gonna give it a go...

Later!

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 02:17:14 PM »

Thanks to everybody who's trying it out!  The demo is only like 8 meg, so if you're on limited bandwidth it shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah, I think there's enough room for plenty of interpretations of a pillow fighting game.  Like, I kind of went for a "quirky and cute" smash-style game, and the Capybara game went more for sex appeal (They even had models pillow fighting at the launch party for their game).  I havn't played their game because it's not available on my phone, but I've heard it's pretty fun, sort of a paper/rock/scissors game.

Dannobot on Twitter
sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 09:57:20 PM »

Like, I kind of went for a "quirky and cute" smash-style game, and the Capybara game went more for sex appeal

Wait a second.  One of your characters is a dominatrix in leather thigh-high, high heeled boots and a whip, and one of the levels in your game has you play on a giant naked woman, and you say you weren't going for sex appeal?  At the very least, your game is giving mixed signals, which might narrow your market dramatically.

But I agree, I think there could be a hundred pillow fighting games.  It's not about the genre so much as it's about the quality and interaction design.  I was just messing with Lachie Smiley.

I'll check your game out tomorrow.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 10:09:46 PM »

Also, why only females? Can't males pillow fight? I've pillow fought before.

the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 09:10:43 AM »

Wait a second.  One of your characters is a dominatrix in leather thigh-high, high heeled boots and a whip, and one of the levels in your game has you play on a giant naked woman, and you say you weren't going for sex appeal?  At the very least, your game is giving mixed signals, which might narrow your market dramatically.

But I agree, I think there could be a hundred pillow fighting games.  It's not about the genre so much as it's about the quality and interaction design.  I was just messing with Lachie Smiley.

I'll check your game out tomorrow.
Yeah, that stuff was really awkward to explain to my Mom when I was play testing the game at home.  She was like "Why are their boobs so big?  Is that her underwear showing?" Embarrassed

Dannobot on Twitter
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »

this comes off as sexist to me.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »

this comes off as sexist to me.

Me too.  I don't personally care that it's sexist, but it seems that it's giving mixed signals.  It does have some cuteness that has the potential to appeal to women out there, yet the sexism would turn a lot of those women away quickly.  That same cuteness would turn away a lot of guys.  And since it's more sexist than sexy, that side probably won't win them back.  All of this dwindles the potential audience quite a bit.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 01:27:22 PM »

It does have some cuteness that has the potential to appeal to women out there

Why?

Why would a game with women pillow fighting appeal to women?

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 01:33:10 PM »

It does have some cuteness that has the potential to appeal to women out there

Why?

Why would a game with women pillow fighting appeal to women?

I didn't say the game as a whole would appeal to women.  Just that it contains some cuteness that has the potential to appeal to some women.  In fact, I said later that it has sexist parts that would push them away.  What you mentioned about it only containing women pillowfighting is one of those parts that would push them away Tongue.  I'm basically saying it needs a total overhaul.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 01:37:46 PM »

I think that if it were in stores it would appeal to parents buying games for 10 year old girls or something -- look at Barbie Super Model. But I agree that I can't see any woman I know being interested in this game (except as a curiosity).

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 01:44:25 PM »

I just can't see the general concept of a pillow fighting game working as anything but being charged with sexual innuendo and marketed to lonely men.

Maybe if it had different types of characters and was on the DS with multiplayer, combined with some kind of way of chatting ...

I'm trying to picture the Nintendo take on pillow fighting. Where you have cleverly designed, iconic/cute characters battling it out viciously with pillows. You could have them grunting with exertion and wailing as they get batted out of the arena. I guess that's basically Smash Brothers though.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »

And Kirby is basically a pillow, that they fight.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »

Put the blood and teeth back in, I say.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 01:50:18 PM »

In Thailand I've heard that at the new year they throw water at each other to celebrate; in olden days they used to use bowls of water but today they use water guns. I think a game based on that festival might be interesting, because as a kid I always found water gun fights more interesting than pillow fights.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic