Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:53:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlack Mage
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Black Mage  (Read 1437 times)
Captain Lanky
Level 0

Main Programer of Black Mage

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »

Hello to all! This little game has been in development since September 2012 and am looking for testers. As of now it is only for windows
For older versions visit the Facebook page.

Latest Update: http://adf.ly/J4bJC
Trial: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1gpvvzsqf308drw/Black%20mage-Trial.zip

Already done

-Main character
-Bad guys
-Weapons
-Health bar
-7 Rooms
-Inventory
-Different weapons
-Music
-A boss
-Better bad guy AI

To do
-10 rooms
-more weapons
-Better character design
-Village
-and more(maybe)

THX plz leave comments or suggestions here or on Facebook page

As requested by koiwai I have changed controls over to a .txt file and have fixed the arrow flying bug/glitch/problem. I will not be adding a left facing arrow as you can walk into them and kill them.

Will not be releasing for a while working on a pilot for a RPG called The Adventures of Anor/ The Knights of Anor

Here is link to updated version of Black Mage http://adf.ly/JFFX1
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 04:34:17 PM by Captain Lanky » Logged
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »

Screens please.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 09:01:47 PM »

Oh man. Ok, here is the feedback..

- You could put instructions in plain text file (use Notepad application) or HTML, instead of docx.

- At first, I though that the green bar is your HP, but shooting orbs reduces it. Ok, but in this case, why are you still able to shoot orbs when this bar become empty?

- You can shoot only in the right direction

- While jumping, if you start shooting in midair, you are going up, effectively flying. See the screenshot.

- You walk faster than the arrows fly

- Controls are inconvenient

- Gravity and collisions need a lot more work

- Don't try to fool others that this is not your first game project.

Captain Lanky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »

Oh man. Ok, here is the feedback..

- You could put instructions in plain text file (use Notepad application) or HTML, instead of docx.

- At first, I though that the green bar is your HP, but shooting orbs reduces it. Ok, but in this case, why are you still able to shoot orbs when this bar become empty?

- You can shoot only in the right direction

- While jumping, if you start shooting in midair, you are going up, effectively flying. See the screenshot.

- You walk faster than the arrows fly

- Controls are inconvenient

- Gravity and collisions need a lot more work

- Don't try to fool others that this is not your first game project.

Thx for feedback! I have fixed the arrow flying bug/problem with the new character design.I will make arrows faster. What do you mean controls are inconvenient? What is wrong with gravity?yes collisions need more work. I will try to make arrows go left and this is not my first game project I have others that I have deleted like a tank game, and break out like game but this game I have put most of time on game maker into. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:31:05 PM by Captain Lanky » Logged
koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 11:30:05 PM »

Thx for feedback! I have fixed the arrow flying bug/problem with the new character design.I will make arrows faster. What do you mean controls are inconvenient? What is wrong with gravity?yes collisions need more work. I will try to make arrows go left and this is not my first game project I have others that I have deleted like a tank game, and break out like game but this game i have put most of time on game maker into. 

Ok. Your controls are:
A = left
D = right
Shift = shoot an arrow
R = shoot an orb
Space = jump
Up = swim up

It could be better. Positioning of the swiming-up ability is especially stunning. Honestly, why is it there?

I would suggest, for example:
A = left
D = right
W = jump and swim up (you can additionaly make Space for jump here)
H,J,K... = shooting & actions
(Maybe, Y,U,I,O.. for choosing weapons, though in German keyboards there is Z instead of qwerty's Y)

Or make Arrow keys for movement, and F,D,S,.. for shooting.

Gravity? I felt that jumping was strange and unrealistic. Hope, I was wrong, though. Btw, talking about physics, in water there must be viscous resistance: extra force F = -bv proportional to velocity, but opposite to it in direction.

I admit that you put a lot of work in the game, with all those messages about new abilities. Shrug However, instead of adding extra details, you really should focus on the core game mechanics: jumping and shooting. Do it right.

Captain Lanky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:07:13 AM »

Anybody willing to try a pilot for my new rpg plz comment
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 08:20:04 AM »

its his first freemade game, he only ever made other tutorial games with my help. so ya, try not to fool the tigsource community.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:29:52 AM »

So, I played the game.
First off - it's buggy. I'm pretty sure people have already mentioned that the controls don't feel tight, that the physics sucks, the keyboard scheme is wierd and so on.

But what bugs me the most is the level design. I can't remember how many levels you included in your game (about 5 or 6 if I'm not mistaken), but those levels are meaningless and blend. The basic game mechanics have a certain potential if you invest time in developing proper levels. Try to make the levels complicated. Try to have the players think before they simply go for the obvious key.

It's a nice basis for a game, but it requires a lot more work. The potential is there, though.

Captain Lanky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 04:33:49 PM »

Sorry guys no new update i have been coding in java so it will be a while till new upload
Captain Lanky
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »

ANY IDEAS FOR  NEW GAME AS I WILL PROBABLY NOT BE CONTINUING WORK ON THIS GAME PLZ TELL ME ANY IDEAS!!!!!!!! 
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »

There are many threads for that....

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic