Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:55:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFerdy The Cat!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Ferdy The Cat!  (Read 14606 times)
absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2014, 06:39:32 AM »

I played the demo. It's really well done! I don't have much in the way of criticism/help. It plays well and serves it's purpose.

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 07:34:44 AM »

The work never stops... startscreen & savegame stuff

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 09:44:20 AM »

No end to all the tedious work. The game now has a website:

ferdythecat.com

Still minimalist & copywriting sucks. Has to be improved gradually.

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »

Touch controls for android version working like a charm!

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »

Have a look at this

mpolney
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »

I always find these sort of touch controls clumsy. I haven't played a block pusher on Android whose controls I was happy with. I might eventually want to port Incriminator to tablets, so I need to figure out an answer to this myself. One possibility is to have a higher level interface where travel is taken care of for you. In your case that'd mean setting it up so you can flick any pushable block in a valid direction and Ferdy would walk (without pushing anything else) to that block and push it in the direction you flicked it.
nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

You're probably right, though it works better than I expected. The main point is that games not specifically designed for touch interfaces always hold some sort of compromise. The honest thing would be to remove the cat altogether, so it would make sense to actually push the blocks around with your fingers.

Anyway, your idea about auto-movement is nice. I dont know if I want to go that far, because it takes a sense of control away from the player. The quality of the game is that you actually have to choose the exact path yourself. We'll see..

Kind of stuck to the graphics. I am always trying to push this further, but then I have to follow along and redo more parts I thought to be finished before... Scratched the city world, think this river scenario might be more charming.

mpolney
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »

The fireworks background is my favorite out of the lot.

A middle ground with the movement is something like Chocolate Castle, where you drag the character around with the mouse. The cat could be dragged along for movement only, then when it's next to a block you lift you finger then drag the block separately. That way you can move around quickly without accidentally messing the stage up. This is my current best idea for tablet controls for Incriminator.
nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »

More bold colors today

Calined
Level 1

VGM Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »

i really really like how you achieve such hmm "deepness" or "richness" with so little art that is not even related to the gameplay-puzzles and is basically just decoration of the blocky paths and blocky puzzles!

i guess once again this is an example of how less is more and how our brain starts imagining the rest.

neat!! =D

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 05:04:10 PM »

Thanks mate! You basically described what I was aiming at. :-)

Updated autumn forest, bit more smooth now + level view.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:24:15 PM by nikolaus » Logged

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 10:36:18 AM »

I want to be Ferdy the Cat

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »

Be warned, it is not an easy life

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 07:17:08 AM »

The level design is as good as completed! Hardest part of it all. 54 levels across 9 worlds. To build up anticipation, I am showcasing two more designs.

Are the colors too strong? I saw them on a screen other than my shitty ass dev laptop, my eyes hurt a bit.

Minor polishing, uncomfortable stuff left to do - hope to ship this in about 3 weeks!

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 07:53:51 AM »

Looking very good. Ferdy needs more love <3
Also, this game inspired the game I made a few weeks ago (down in my signature). I'm looking forward to playing through it when it's finished Hand Thumbs Up Right

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »

Very cool puzzle mechanic, and I like the look of the later levels a lot. The aesthetics of the worlds are really nice, and I don't think the colours on the blocks are too bright at all. In some ways it puts me in mind of Chip's Challenge. Look forward to playing the entire thing Smiley

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 12:18:46 PM »

Thanks guys!

I like my small but quality audience here.

nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 09:20:57 AM »

The music is supposed to play backwards on undo. My musician beautifully prepared reverse mp3s of the songs to switch to on undo, but the library I am working with (LIBGDX) does not support setting the playback position of music. Lips Sealed

Is there anybody with a deeper understanding of LIBGDX and Java who might be able to help me out? Im in need to get this working on desktop and android devices.

mpolney
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 04:12:01 PM »

I haven't used libgdx, but you can probably do it by writing raw samples to the device, using this class. However if you go this route you'll have to fetch the samples yourself using some kind of decoder. The gdx-audio extension seems to include such a decoder. Now, this is assuming that all of this works as advertised, and you'll have to reimplement some of the facilities you're currently getting from libgdx..
nikolaus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 04:19:42 AM »

Thanks mpolney, for pointing me in that direction. It seems the libgdx audio extension decoders are not able to decode files from within the games assets directory. They have to be copied to an external storage beforehand. All of this does not sound healthy at all...  Undecided

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic