Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:45:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Painting Again (Added 3rd Painting!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Painting Again (Added 3rd Painting!)  (Read 4339 times)
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2008, 09:19:31 AM »

So in between working on my new project, I have been practicing painting again. This is my latest fart:

[doh!the old version got deleted. Newest version shown here and below... sorryz..]

Have at it.

Andy
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:52:52 AM by astrospoon » Logged

increpare
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 09:24:19 AM »

I quite like it, though the proportions of the right hand seem a bit odd.  I like the foliage especially; the petals stand out really well, and the texturing of the stone is pretty successful.  Also there seem to be some shading issues with the right hand; the foreshortening of the thumb especially I think could be  a little more effectively done.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:30:58 AM »

you are right... right hand was looking kina wonky-- especially the thumb.

better?

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »

This looks really great, I especially like the metal although in my opinion the leaves are the weakest part and I think that the way they are rendered is inconsistent with the rest of the painting.  The leaves look plastic-like and almost cartoony in some ways.  I think you should add some color variation in them so its not just that bright saturated green.  You use a wide variety and range of colors on the hands and the metal but the leaves seem to just be a bright green.  It is an excellent painting though, has a very nice polish to it already.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:13:19 AM »

oh yeah definitely.  nice stuff.

but here's something that my grandpa who was a painter told me:

don't paint green things with green paint.

basically, i took it to mean that things in life, while they look green, won't look realistic if you make them just green.  maybe desaturate the green a bit, try pushing it around to get something more subtle, then try going to the opposite end of the color wheel from the green for your leaf shadows.

just an idea.

astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »

neon-- yeah I remember being taught that as well at some point. Green can suck my butt it is easily the hardest color to work with, and it also goes crap crazy when going from RGB to CMYK.

I'll fiddle with the green tones when i get a chance to see if i can get them under control.

I do kind of like the POW statement they make in the piece, but I agree... it isn't all that realistic...

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 12:22:35 PM »

Green also happens to be my favorite color. Tongue

Though I agree that the leaves could be improved, though they already look pretty good. The rest looks like awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 07:34:38 PM »

better?

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »

the hands look dirty now, and the leaves are still GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

diwil
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:03:37 PM »

The leaves are awesome, leave 'em be. The colors look very, very vivid and the shapes and shading is truly beautiful. And I don't really mind that the hands look dirty, perhaps it adds a little to the story of the image?
increpare
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 12:47:52 AM »

I have no immediate issues with the image as it stands, but if you are looking for something to work on, I'd go with the gem: you could add a lot more detail and depth to the emerald

It would be a challenge to try to do it as rigidly as the one directly above (the last one), but you get the idea: there's a lot more contrast possible in its shading.

I wouldn't worry about the green leaves for now, but try and do something a little more realistic in your next work, if I were you (which I'm not, so).
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 12:55:41 AM »

The pose looks a bit unnatural to me. The emerald isn't very safe if the hands are held this way under it. I think most people would have it on one palm, and the other hand below to support the upper hand, not almost in between the hands, where is easily slips.

Just nitpicking, sorry. Image is great overall, me likes Smiley

Per aspera ad astra
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 05:41:20 AM »

I like the atmosphere of this picture a lot. It seems like there is a story behind it. It reminds me strangely of a book I read once called 'Forbidden Paths of Thual'.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 01:39:02 AM »

Awesome!!!  Dude, that needs to be a Magic card.  Submit it to Wizards! Shocked

Ring and pinky finger on the left hand seem slightly bent more than is possible, however.
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »

another one...

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »

That looks like something straight out of a Tool album booklet, and I mean that in the most complimenting way.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 01:00:51 PM »

my mind is blown

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Saker
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 01:05:46 PM »

WOW ... is he going into or out of this thing "triangle ?? " .. 'cause i can't figure it out "maybe it's just me"
astrospoon
Level 4

Andy Hull

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 09:52:32 AM »

Howdy.. finished another picture. By the way.. all these pictures are reimaginings of Magic cards... Not hard to figure out which is which. Here is #3:

and in (textless) card form:

(some obvious aquaria in there Smiley heh....)

-andy

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 11:20:43 AM »

Hah, awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic