Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:15:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingShelter - A Zombie Card Duelling Game - (WP7 / 8)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shelter - A Zombie Card Duelling Game - (WP7 / 8)  (Read 1740 times)
SurvivalistChris
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2013, 09:03:48 AM »

I have just released my first game Shelter to the Windows Phone Marketplace.

Free (ad-supported) version is available here: Windows Phone Marketplace

To get a quick idea of the game, you can see the trailer

So I'm now in a situation where I need to split my time between porting to iOS, Android and PC via MonoGame, and adding features / fixes based on feedback. As a lot of the typical feedback you see in the marketplace reviews isn't that helpful, I was hoping to get a little feedback from people in the know.

If anybody with some time and a windows phone could download the free trial from the marketplace and let me know what they think it would be a great help.

About the game...

Shelter is an asymmetric single-player card game where you build a deck of duelling cards and take them into battle against a zombie deck that “plays itself”. The zombie deck is not controlled by a hideously complex AI, but plays based on a simple set of rules with dice rolls to add the element of chance. You must fight off the waves of zombies before they smash your shelter’s barricades and start munching on your brains.

You choose your survival strategy when you build your deck. Do you pack as many guns into your deck as you can? Do you use traps and reinforce your defences? Do you stun stronger zombies and pick off the weak ones? You have the freedom to play as you want.

As you win duels, you will be rewarded with new cards to work into your deck and streamline your play style. You will also meet allies throughout the campaign who you take into battle with you. Each ally brings 5 themed cards to the table that allow you to experience different styles of play.

The idea behind Shelter was to create a hybrid between collectible card games and the castle defence genre. I wanted to create something that was quite quick to play and easy to get into, but that had the depth and strategy of games like Magic: The Gathering.

I hope you all enjoy it, but let me know if there's anything that gets in the way of that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 02:53:20 AM by SurvivalistChris » Logged
mrfunkyland
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »

I don't have a Windows phone so I'm just going off the trailer, but I think it looks great. I love the visual style and it seems consistent. If you ever ported to Android I'd totally pay to get the chance to play it.

Fetus Commander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:39:36 PM »

Don't have a winder's phone either, but this looks awesome.  The idea of an opponent deck that plays itself (+ some random chance) is really cool.  Your art style is just right too.

Do you plan on releasing "digital packs" of cards if it takes off?
SurvivalistChris
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »

Currently, no. I have an issue with doing paid DLC / in-game products like that and since each new card takes time and memory to illustrate and balance, I'd rather just let all players have access to all cards (once they've earned / collected them).

I'm toying with the idea of implementing that + trading for a future multiplayer card game, though.
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 02:45:50 PM »

Don't have a winder's phone either, but this looks awesome.  The idea of an opponent deck that plays itself (+ some random chance) is really cool.  Your art style is just right too.

Do you plan on releasing "digital packs" of cards if it takes off?
I totally agree, I think the game looks really good and has the right things to become an interesting title for:
1- zombie fan
2- card games fan

I have an android and I would buy it - for me you should invest time on iOS and Android porting. Wink

2 thing I would change:
1- a bit more blood and gore (for funs Wink )
2- the skull on 0:55 of the trailer (

), looks horrible, for me.

I twitted the video, it's a shame it has only 64 views.

SurvivalistChris
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »

Yup. That skull has to go. Agreed Grin.

Plan was to do different damage decals for different types of cards (bullet holes, claw swipes, etc). The skull was placeholder until then but I had to give up on that idea to get it done on time.

If windows phone makes enough money, that'll be rolled into the porting work. Using monogame to do iOS, Android and PC.

As for number of views, just haven't found the right place to shout about it yet. People seem to switch off when they hear "windows phone"  WTF

Ah well. Cheers for the feedback and the share.
mrKaizen
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 03:56:10 PM »

As for number of views, just haven't found the right place to shout about it yet. People seem to switch off when they hear "windows phone"  WTF

Ah well. Cheers for the feedback and the share.
Yeah, sometimes I have the same "fear" for win phone Tongue

No problem for the share, if a game has something cool you need to share... Wink

SurvivalistChris
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 02:55:36 AM »

I've just released the ad-supported free version to the Windows Marketplace. You can see the game here: Windows Phone Marketplace

Expect some news very soon regarding other mobile platforms...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic