Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:33:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsRequest a Tutorial
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Request a Tutorial  (Read 182721 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: March 19, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »

I'd like to see something about making and managing inventory systems.

An inventory system's just a dictionary (in Python), essentially. If you wanted to, you could just use an array to represent the inventory of a character, and have the indices represent the ID of the item (i.e. inventory[0] is for potions, inventory[1] is for ethers, etc). Dictionaries allow you to access an index by its name, though. So, you could have inventory['potion'] be the inventory slot for potions. You could also put a dictionary in there to represent the name, description, number, etc. of the item (inventory['potion']['number'] is how many potions you have in your inventory).

To represent the dictionary in a GUI is a bit more work. Basically, you create slots, and each slot gets an index. You use that index to reference the inventory item. If the number's greater than 0, then you would change the image of the slot to be the one that corresponds to the item in the slot. You could do this with just if-checks, or you could assign each item a unique ID number that also represents where the item is on the sprite sheet (i.e. ethers have the ID of 3, and are the 4th sprite in the inventory item icon sprite sheet).

EDIT: It depends on which language you're using exactly how the inventory is managed. Python does give you nice tools to work with dictionaries, though. Smiley

cubertron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 23, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »

cubertron: You'll probably want to look up Java, Flash, FlashPunk, or Flixel tuts for that. 99% of fb games are Flash or Java.

I'd like to see something about making and managing inventory systems.

I know Java , Flash and FP. I just want to know that how can I integrate the game. How to setup the database (in case of a social game)
LazyWaffle
« Reply #422 on: March 26, 2012, 04:11:39 PM »

I know this is a lot to ask, but I'd reeeeally appreciate if someone made a roguelike tutorial for Lua from the perspective of a beginner Beg
Theophilus
« Reply #423 on: March 26, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »

using what framework?
LazyWaffle
« Reply #424 on: March 27, 2012, 02:01:53 PM »

I typically use LOVE, but I'd like to get into something cleaner and more optimal, so it's really up to whoever is willing to write it.
Lilfut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 28, 2012, 09:36:31 AM »

This is gonna be one of those things where I'll feel like an idiot when I figure it out,  but how do I make a Megaman 2-style weapon select menu in Game Maker 8? Where it appears over the current screen without being a different screen altogether (so not like the weapon select from 4 on), making all sprites disappear, and then lets you essentially change to a different object (identical to the regular one, but with a different weapon attack).

Edit: I guess the core issue here, just to clarify, is how to make all sprites disappear when the menu overlay appears.
ink.inc
« Reply #426 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:31 PM »

set visible to false
Lilfut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 28, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »

On every sprite?
welp here we go
ink.inc
« Reply #428 on: March 28, 2012, 02:17:14 PM »

having never played megaman 2, i'm not entirely sure you want what you say it is that you want

so say megaman is walking down the street

you press pause

a menu comes up

but the menu only obscures part of the screen

idk why would you want to make any sprites disappear

EDIT: just watched a video. okay. implementing this is pretty easy. just create a parent object that sets visible to false when the global paused variable is set to true. then have all desired objects inherit that parent object's events. then set visible back to true when you unpause it.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:24:20 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Lilfut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 28, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »

Thanks! Smiley
ajf
Level 0

JavaScript + HTML5 FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: April 11, 2012, 05:59:28 AM »

There's probably already one here, but what about raycasting? Particularly if it could cover how to do multiple levels like DOOM for instance.
bftd
Level 0

through embers only dark descends

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 16, 2012, 06:18:04 AM »

My beloved kitties, I've decided to get back into 3d a little, and hence I inquire: does anyone know of any specifically good tutorials/videos aimed at low-poly character modeling/rigging, in lieu of, say, Dungeon Defenders (XBLA)? Software doesn't matter.

pixhead
« Reply #432 on: May 24, 2012, 10:46:23 PM »

I request a JBox2d commercial. There might be one barried deep in this thread but im too tired and pissed to look for it
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: June 16, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »

can anybody show me how to, or point me towards a tutorial that explains jumping with 8 way movement in Game Maker?

I'm working on a beat em up, and I can't quite figure out how to handle jumping.

geoface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 20, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »

I'd like to request a tutorial on a 3d java game with 2d sprites, similar to notch's breaking the tower.

Anyone know of any tutorials already out there also?
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: June 20, 2012, 07:42:18 AM »

geoface, do you want actual 3D or just a 3rd person perspective?

If you want actual 3D:
Look into LightWeight Java Game Library, which (among other things) gives you access to OpenGL for fast 3D. If you just want 2D sprites (rather than full 3D models) you can just have flat polygons with images on them.

If you just want a 3D:ish perspective in 2D:
Look into Slick2D. Design the sprites so that they have the right perspective. Draw them to the screen in the right order (those furthest back first) and it'll look like stuff is in front of other stuff.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Tokeijikaku
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 22, 2012, 08:18:17 AM »

I'd love to see a tutorial by example (preferably C++), on chunk-based, procedural world generation, with emphasis on the chunk-based aspect, and how it can support large, cross-chunk entities such as rivers and roads. The Internet appears to be devoid of this.
davidarcila
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 22, 2012, 10:26:25 AM »

I'm trying to find some tutorial on 9 slice grids for tiling
AAaAaAah
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 02, 2012, 07:53:41 AM »

any first person shooter tuts for jogl? or lwjgl?
CptnScout
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »

I request a C# and XNA game making tutorial!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic