Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:30:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsRequest a Tutorial
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Request a Tutorial  (Read 181998 times)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2008, 06:30:46 PM »

Anyway, I wanted to just toss in my five cents and quietly inquire if anyone feels like writing up a tutorial on writing C++ code that allows someone to extract stuff from a layer in a PSD files (much like one would do with a sprite sheet). DrPetter has done something similar to this in the past a couple of times, and seeing how I have Photoshop 6 handy...

You might be able to salvage something from this program here: http://telegraphics.com.au/svn/psdparse/trunk/ (check the readme)
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2008, 10:13:22 PM »

You might be able to salvage something from this program here: http://telegraphics.com.au/svn/psdparse/trunk/ (check the readme)

That's a great find, thanks! I'm reading through it right now, and it seems pretty good so far. I'm seeing a lot of stuff I don't recognize, but I assume it's because this code is being made with Mac compatibility in mind. Trying to figure out on my own if there's a way to skip the file generation and simply make the program display the layers' contents within the game, effectively making it so that a possibly small PSD file can serve as an entire sprite sheet. Seems to be proving to be more trouble than its worth, however, on my end (not to mention that PSD files are usually not really smaller than GIF/PNG files). I'm having loads of fun reading through this, however. I'm also quietly reading up on SDL and Allegro, though the programmer in me wants to jump the gun and make his own graphics and game engines.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2008, 10:41:31 PM »

storytelling:
I'd be interested in these as well.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2008, 05:43:20 AM »

I'm also quietly reading up on SDL and Allegro, though the programmer in me wants to jump the gun and make his own graphics and game engines.

SDL and Allegro are just relatively low-level graphics/multimedia libraries. Trust me, if you start with them, there's still more than enough work to be done until you have a working game engine, so opportunity for buffing your programmer's pride is plenty :D
increpare
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2008, 08:27:06 AM »

SDL and Allegro are just relatively low-level graphics/multimedia libraries. Trust me, if you start with them, there's still more than enough work to be done until you have a working game engine, so opportunity for buffing your programmer's pride is plenty :D
Yeah.  Essentially the difference between SDL/Allegro and something like DirectX complexity-wise is pretty slim (at least it has been in my experience).  They work at about the same level in terms of game structuring.  The main difference is the ostensible cross-platformness.
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2008, 11:40:03 AM »

Hooray! That still leaves me with the small problem of "ackpth how do I use them again?" The only reason I'd want to write from scratch is so that I know exactly why what is where (a question I call 'whaeh?').

Yeah.  Essentially the difference between SDL/Allegro and something like DirectX complexity-wise is pretty slim (at least it has been in my experience).  They work at about the same level in terms of game structuring.  The main difference is the ostensible cross-platformness.

Sadly, I have probably even less of an idea of how to use DirectX.

I'm relatively (incredibly) new to programming anything that isn't purely command prompt based (or made for something that would be Interactive Fiction), and I feel that my writing style isn't really that... immersive (I'm too sarcastic and more often than not break the fourth wall with an iron-fisted super charged with some sort of Zeus-like electricity). Also, I make up words and descriptions on the spot, and tend to make them too zany to understand.

All that aside, I may enter the Commonplace Book compo with a small game based on ideas 150 and 155. No guarantees on the results. I WOULD like it if I could pull off a betasuppe like style, but oh well.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2008, 12:08:43 PM »

storytelling:
I'd be interested in these as well.
I'd be interested in these also.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »

If anyone out there knows how to make an awesome platforming engine.  Pixel perfect collisions, moving platforms that push the player and stuff, and moveable objects... I'd love to see that.  (I guess specifically in Game Maker or something, although it probably doesn'  t matter.)

I can find some tutorials about it, but they're usually too limited to expand upon, or it's just a huge file that's like "here you go, a platforming engine" with little to no explination of the actual engine itself (how it works, the underlying THEORIES... etc)

halp
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2008, 10:49:03 PM »

Yesh. I have trouble with slopes and moving platforms especially. I've figured out a kind of workaround for slopes in GM, but it's highly inefficient and buggy.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2008, 11:16:20 PM »

Yesh. I have trouble with slopes and moving platforms especially. I've figured out a kind of workaround for slopes in GM, but it's highly inefficient and buggy.

I can get slopes going fine.  Up, and sticking when going down, also hitting overhead slopes in the air... but I'll be damned if I can set up a system where objects can transfer their velocities to one another and have everything work in magic harmony.
medieval
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2008, 05:06:10 AM »

I hate game maker when things that seem so simple and should work, actually don't work.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2008, 05:24:14 AM »

For c++ graphics, you might want to check out "Sol's graphics tutorial for beginners"
http://sol.gfxile.net/gp/index.html

Fishymuffin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2008, 04:41:11 AM »

A True 3D tutorial please. The Paper Moon screenshot was just too amazing.
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2008, 08:22:51 AM »

I second the decent platform engine tutorial! My platform engines always seem to suffer from intersection problems with the ground and other obstacles, no matter how I seem to code them!

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2008, 01:21:07 AM »

A True 3D tutorial please. The Paper Moon screenshot was just too amazing.

do you mean 3d programming or 3d graphics? i can do both! just ask  Cool

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
medieval
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2008, 03:45:15 PM »

Graphics. Please do graphics. Or both.
Hedenius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2008, 04:11:36 AM »

I'd like to see a tutorial for rocket jumping physics in a 2D Platformer.

Gang Garrison II did this well, with both rockets and grenades. If the tutorial focused on Game Maker that would be great, but not necessary.

Just the basic maths and approach would be sufficient i think.

I've tried searching the web but came up with nothing, didn't find anything on the official Game Maker forum either.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2008, 09:19:38 AM »

I'd like to see a tutorial for rocket jumping physics in a 2D Platformer.

Gang Garrison II did this well, with both rockets and grenades. If the tutorial focused on Game Maker that would be great, but not necessary.

Just the basic maths and approach would be sufficient i think.

I've tried searching the web but came up with nothing, didn't find anything on the official Game Maker forum either.
That's the sort of hyper specific thing that would be better for a postward on the game itself. And it depends on so many things.

Generally I think it'd be better to have a 2D physics tutorial.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Hedenius
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2008, 11:38:23 PM »

You're absolutely right sir.  Gentleman

Besides, i asked MedO (coder of GG2) and he was kind enough to provide me with what i need to get it to work in GM. The best part is that it's ridiculously easy, and i feel stupid for not being able to figure it out myself.  Embarrassed

This might be another dumb request, but perhaps some kind of a mathematics tutorial for game makeing would be neat? You describe (or list with links to explenations) the most important stuff you need to know in maths (like sin/cos/tan for example), and then show how to put it to practical use in a game by giving a few examples.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2008, 11:40:11 PM »

I'd like that too.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic