Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:00:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsRequest a Tutorial
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Request a Tutorial  (Read 182734 times)
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2008, 11:48:26 PM »

I could write up a piece on using Box2D, since I'm just finishing up big project now that uses it extensively. Remind me in a week's time.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2008, 03:14:07 AM »

This might be another dumb request, but perhaps some kind of a mathematics tutorial for game makeing would be neat? You describe (or list with links to explenations) the most important stuff you need to know in maths (like sin/cos/tan for example), and then show how to put it to practical use in a game by giving a few examples.

See if any of these help you out:
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/trig
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30617
http://www.clarku.edu/~djoyce/trig/

There's lots of stuff out there if you search for "trigonometry tutorial."
increpare
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2008, 04:42:03 AM »

Gosh.  Just got a major mostalgia rush there, when I remembered where I learned my 3D stuff:  Zed3D.  There are undoubtedly better places to figure such stuff out now, but yeah: nostalgia.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2008, 07:17:36 AM »

This might be another dumb request, but perhaps some kind of a mathematics tutorial for game makeing would be neat? You describe (or list with links to explenations) the most important stuff you need to know in maths (like sin/cos/tan for example), and then show how to put it to practical use in a game by giving a few examples.
Okay, I don't want to seem like I'm bagging on your directly. I'm not, it's nothing personal. But it seems to me that "math" is not something that can be taught in a tutorial. Now, honestly it's not the sort of thing that actually requires a year to learn, and I was a teacher, I should know. I do believe it could be taught with a book, but not with just a tutorial.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
increpare
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2008, 07:26:40 AM »

Okay, I don't want to seem like I'm bagging on your directly. I'm not, it's nothing personal. But it seems to me that "math" is not something that can be taught in a tutorial.
I think I disagree to some extent: you could walk through examples of games that use mathematics to degrees of various sophistication.  This wouldn't give somebody a knowledge of the background maths directly, but give them a working knowledge of various bits of mathematical machinery (mathematicsqua cookery).  The scope might be be quite limited, wouldn't be maths proper, and might break down when you get to doing proper geometry stuff especially.  I sort of broadly agree with you though.

I wouldn't really know where to start, though.  But I rarely do, when it comes to tutorials, which is why I doubt I'll contribute much to this subforum.  Pyrrhon: if you had some specific things that you would want to do in a game, I'm pretty sure that we could help you out.  That might be easier...but if someone has some good ideas for a maths tutorial, then fire  away I guess.

Now, honestly it's not the sort of thing that actually requires a year to learn,
WTF
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:33:01 AM by increpare » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2008, 01:34:30 PM »

Gosh.  Just got a major mostalgia rush there, when I remembered where I learned my 3D stuff:  Zed3D.  There are undoubtedly better places to figure such stuff out now, but yeah: nostalgia.

Hell.... Shocked I'm in the same place. I didn't even recall this properly, but the instant I clicked on that link and saw that weirdly illuminated 3d model, it all sort of came back. I think I must have written some crappy 3d "engine" in C based on this back in the day...

The name of the guy, Sébastien Loisel, also seems oddly familiar, not sure why.
increpare
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »

Hell.... Shocked I'm in the same place. I didn't even recall this properly, but the instant I clicked on that link and saw that weirdly illuminated 3d model, it all sort of came back. I think I must have written some crappy 3d "engine" in C based on this back in the day...
:D
The-Imp
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2008, 02:57:52 PM »

Didn't think it'd come to this, but I'd like to know in Game Maker, how do you make sprite transitions work?

Like, let's say the characters running, then they jump, it changes the sprite, and when they hit the ground, they change into the standing sprite according to the key being held. Or if you're already holding a directional key, you awill be running and the a direction according to the key.

Help is appreciated!
 Smiley
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2008, 06:15:21 PM »

Okay, I don't want to seem like I'm bagging on your directly. I'm not, it's nothing personal. But it seems to me that "math" is not something that can be taught in a tutorial.
I think I disagree to some extent: you could walk through examples of games that use mathematics to degrees of various sophistication.  This wouldn't give somebody a knowledge of the background maths directly, but give them a working knowledge of various bits of mathematical machinery (mathematicsqua cookery).  The scope might be be quite limited, wouldn't be maths proper, and might break down when you get to doing proper geometry stuff especially.  I sort of broadly agree with you though.

I wouldn't really know where to start, though.  But I rarely do, when it comes to tutorials, which is why I doubt I'll contribute much to this subforum.  Pyrrhon: if you had some specific things that you would want to do in a game, I'm pretty sure that we could help you out.  That might be easier...but if someone has some good ideas for a maths tutorial, then fire away I guess.
Fair enough.
Now, honestly it's not the sort of thing that actually requires a year to learn,
WTF
What I meant is when we're in school we take a year to learn basic algebra, a year to learn differentiation, etc. But all of these subjects could be learned in a much shorter time than the predetermined "semester" IMHO. But then again I am a math major.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2008, 07:51:44 PM »

What I meant is when we're in school we take a year to learn basic algebra, a year to learn differentiation, etc. But all of these subjects could be learned in a much shorter time than the predetermined "semester" IMHO. But then again I am a math major.

Yeh, I think like all things it's down to how much you care. I consistently came close to failing math all through high school... but when I need to learn something for a game I'm working on, I can pick up the basic ideas and use them effectively pretty quickly.

Though nowadays of course I do wish I'd paid a little more attention.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2008, 05:15:16 PM »

You know what I could go for? A nice Walk-Cycle tutorial. For little AND big characters. Doing one well is hard as hell - could do with some tips on speed and quality.

Also, would like to second the "transition animations". For Enjoy.
The-Imp
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2008, 06:35:28 PM »

How sprite or draw them? Well, I know this great tutorial, I think I could fish out out, lemme look...

Well, take a look through these links:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=2913.0
http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml

Quite helpful indeed.
 Gentleman
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:42:58 PM by The-Imp » Logged
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »

Also, the Animator's Survival Kit - which I'm guessing that second tutorial is cribbed from - will change your life if you make animations.

It's got breakdowns for all kinds of walk cycles, and pretty much any other movement that's a little tricky to put together.

The-Imp
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2008, 05:16:03 AM »

Also, the Animator's Survival Kit - which I'm guessing that second tutorial is cribbed from - will change your life if you make animations.

It's got breakdowns for all kinds of walk cycles, and pretty much any other movement that's a little tricky to put together.
I've heard great things of this book, I might get this for christmas!
 Grin
Mush
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2008, 02:25:19 AM »

Some more Scirra Construct tutorials would be nice  Smiley
Especcialy platformer ones  Wink
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2008, 03:10:32 AM »

But there's already a platform behavior for Construct? Shouldn't that make it easy enough Tongue

Mush
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2008, 05:43:37 AM »

... Huh?     Oh...  Embarrassed
Well still some more construct tutorials   Roll Eyes
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2008, 08:42:02 AM »

I'd really like it if someone could point me in the direction of a somewhat complete, non-trivial, open source flash game that uses BitmapData for rendering and Actionscript 3. Preferably one built with FlashDevelop/FlexBuilder rather than Flash CS3 (though that's not that important)! It would help me out loads to have a good example to study!

isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »

I'd really like it if someone could point me in the direction of a somewhat complete, non-trivial, open source flash game that uses BitmapData for rendering and Actionscript 3. Preferably one built with FlashDevelop/FlexBuilder rather than Flash CS3 (though that's not that important)! It would help me out loads to have a good example to study!

If you wait until I've finished my CPB compo game, I'll release the source for that. It's not compiled in Flex, but it uses none of Flashes library functionality so there's almost no difference.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2008, 07:11:02 PM »

I'd appreciate that a lot!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic