Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:41:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBounty Runner - A Bullet Hell Shoot 'Em Up
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Bounty Runner - A Bullet Hell Shoot 'Em Up  (Read 1387 times)
Amaranth
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2013, 08:53:59 AM »

Playable alpha version out! You can get it here.

Bounty Runner is a Bullet Hell Shoot 'Em Up starring the bounty hunters Ark Tailwind and Fridan Bringer. Play through stages filled to the brim with colorful bullets, shoot down hordes of enemy machinery and collect the bounty from tough-as-nails bosses so the duo doesn't end up in the red due to their complete absence of financial thinking. Expect high speed high octane action.

As in all shmups, your character can move and shoot. There is a melee attack which is good for OHKO:ing enemies and clearing away missiles. There is also a shield which can be used to block enemy bullets for as long as there is energy left for it. On top of it, there is a focus button. Focus slows down the character, making it easier to cruise between tight bullet clusters. It also gives all other abilities a secondary mode. The weapon becomes more powerful at the cost of having a much narrower firing line. The shield detonates, clearing all bullets close to one and give a very brief invulnerability. The melee attack becomes a Battle Fury, a kind of smart bomb if you will.

As in all Bullet Hell games, the character's hitbox is small to compensate for the sometimes huge number of projectiles that gets thrown at the player. This does not change the fact that the game is hard, far from it. Bosses and enemies attacks with fierce and varied patterns, and can on higher levels often take quite a beating before going down. However, there are plenty of parameter the player can change; difficulty, starting lives/battle fury's, etc. making it a game even people new to the genre can enjoy (I hope).

Scoring is based around how aggressive the player is. Cutting up enemies and blocking bullets instead of shooting and dodging increases the "Aggression" multiplier, while getting as near as possible to a bullet without getting hit increases the "Graze" multiplier.

Bounty Runner is my debut project as a programmer, and I pretty much learned to program from scratch while creating it. This, coupled with lack of time and interest, has caused the game to take an ungodly amount of time to create (Soon starting on the 4th year). As I have matured both as a person and programmer, I intend to finish the game for once and for all. However, what drives me is the players, so all support and feedback I can receive is appreciated.

The game is in a playable build with two full stages, fully functional controls and a couple of working features. The game was for a long time programmed in Game Maker 8.0 Pro, but recently I got GM Studio from a friend as a donation, so I am still cleaning up a few glitches here and there caused by the porting, as well as doing some tweaks and balancing based on earlier feedback. Hopefully, I will have something out for everyone to try in March.

Currently, this is a one man project, with some occasional support from a few friends. However, as I can only make graphics and programming, the game is sadly awfully silent. If anyone is up for making some Metal music, send me a PM.

Very short gameplay video. If someone knows how to embed Youtube videos in a post, please do tell me.

If you have read through all of this, I sincerely thank you. Now back to fixing the replay system.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:54:55 AM by Amaranth » Logged
Amaranth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »

Playable alpha version out! You can get it here.

All feedback is welcome! Since it is still in alpha, there are sure to be a lot of glitches around.

Since tutorial is not up yet...
---
Standard controls:
Z = Shoot
X = Shield
C = Melee
Shift = Focus, gives the other abilities secondary properties
---
niceplum
Level 0

VGM Composer and Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:20:49 AM »

Please get high quality grass textures, or randomize the background. The current configuration is an eyesore, sadly. But great progress.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 06:09:21 AM »

First thing I noticed is that everything is absolutely teeny.  All of the art assets look like they were designed for 320x240, not 640x480.  The enemy bullets are especially difficult to see.  And yes, I was running in fullscreen mode.  Suggest re-doing the art at 2x it's current size, or just reduce the game resolution.
Amaranth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 01:58:39 AM »

Thanks for the criticism. The earlier that the faults are found, the better. There is bound to be plenty to find, seeing as it is my first game.

The backgrounds have been getting rather low priority since I wanted to get some actual progress on the game done first, but it seems I have been procrastinating it for a bit too long. If there is something specific you want fixed, please do point it out. Is it the monotony? Does it need more assets such as flowers, rocks and the like or just more grass types?

As for resizing sprites, I have gotten similar complaints, although for different reasons (Mostly hitbox related). Seeing as I drew many of these sprites years ago, they certainly could use an update, though it is going to take helluva a lot of time. I am going to draw a test example of one of the standard enemies and post it before I redo them all, just to see if I am going in the right direction.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:16:36 AM »

Another solution would be to re-do the game to run at 320x240, but this would require even more work than redrawing the sprites, imo.
Amaranth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 03:47:28 AM »

Redoing the resolution to 320X240 is out of the question. I rather improve the detail of the sprites rather than shrink the playing field and remake every other bullet pattern so I won't completely break the game with too thick bullet patterns. Plus, it gives me an excuse to use dithering all over the place.

Quickly slapped together a mock-up of the common ruby drone enemy during the lunch break.
Any better?

EDIT: Done a few more, so I just show them all at once. Also added the old ones, original and twice as big, for comparison.

If I am to remake the sprites, I will probably separate the sprites into priority groups, with the smallest sprite taking priority, and only redoing the big stuff if there is time for it. Don't want to get completely sidetracked.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:47:16 AM by Amaranth » Logged
niceplum
Level 0

VGM Composer and Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »

The problem with the background texture is that its very stochastic, has the 'texture' of fake grass, and is too repetitive to build a context. I'm sure there's tools that can do this in no time at all, but I'm afraid I don't know any :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic