Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:35:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlob'em up
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blob'em up  (Read 1598 times)
tortuap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2013, 02:59:55 PM »

On June 10, 2013 :

Hi fellow creators,

Two month since my latest post here. I've changed a lot of things and my game no more looks the same. I kept the original game mechanic but I have made it a puzzle game.

I really like the idea of forking a whole project like we can fork a branch on a source depot. I still have my older prototype, which was an arcade/skill game, and will continu back to it after this puzzle game.

This puzzle game being more casual, my graphical orientation is also more for the casual gamers. Eye candy colored things, lots of FXs, etc. I did all the graph by myself with Inkscape. Creating vectorial stuff is so nice compared to crappy pixmap I've done for years under Photoshop. You really should give it a try.

I'm having a student in game design creating half of the game levels for an afordable price, and also one my teamate from work that will probably help me with the sound design.

I'm planning to release the game on Android first, in september. Then I will see for other plans (other games or ports to iOS/Windows Phone).

Bye

On April 08, 2013 :

Hi fellow coders,

I have redesigned my game for mobile layout. This version contains a first draft of beautiful graphics and new bonuses !

I also have a functionnal version of the game for android that will be available in the next update of this thread.

Play the desktop version on PC, Mac and Linux.
Play with the mouse.
Java 1.6 or above is required.

Have fun !

Cheers.

-------------------------------------------------

On March 11, 2013 :

Hi fellow coders,
For the fifth time, here is my update to the game I'm working on. It's a 'match three' puzzle, based on struggling against time.

In this version, I added two more colors to the set that is used to spread the boards. It rises the challenge really well yet making the resolution possible 'just in time'. I also added bonuses that randomly pop on tiles and that vanish after a short period : 'more time', 'points' and 'blow that color'.

This time, I'm offering a video (it is a first shoot lame video, but you'll get the idea of the game) :

And as always, the latest demo version is available. Once downloaded, simply double click the file and the game will launch. The game file is a Java executable downloadable from here : http://www.pautrot.com/tmp/block_puzzle_freemode_07.jar

Play with either the keyboard's keys left/right/up or the XBox Controller left stick with button A.

As before, I do really like playing the game as much as making it. I hope you can get fun too.

Cheers.

On March 03, 2013 :

Hi fellow coders,

And here is my update... I have finished a good version of the scoring system. Multiplier, fall combo and time combo now apply to score. Remaining time at end of stage also scores. I also have added fx animations on scores, and animation on time draining/refilling. I added a pause screen (backspace key). And finally I've also added a bomb brick kind. The bomb will blow all nearby bricks.

A new screenshot :

And as always, the latest version : http://www.pautrot.com/tmp/block_puzzle_freemode_05.jar

Play with either left/right/up keyboard's keys or XBox Controller left stick/A button.

I do really like playing the game as much as making it. I hope you might have fun too.

Cheers.

On February 27, 2013 :

Hi fellow developers

I have updated the version which now have a multiplier on score, and that can be played with the keyboard.

The game mechanic is a match three, rather fast, with a pretty addictive rhythm. It is the most simple match three game play, but timed tight enough to be challenging.

Try it out and tell me what you think !

A new screenshot :

And the latest version : http://www.pautrot.com/tmp/block_puzzle_freemode_04.jar

On February 25, 2013 :

Hi fellow developers

Here is my update. The project still exists, which a good start Smiley The concept haven't changed at all. Nor the graphics. But the user interface have evolved and game state's transitions are smooth. More important than anything, the fun is still the same (if you like that simplicity), and the player retention is now better.

What's next ?
- making the bottom right level thing being a multiplier on score
- changing the time mechanics so that what's remains of time is kept between levels
- adding time bonus that are randomly popped and hooked on tiles (like bejeweled)
- reworking the sounds

Here here it is :

Next time, I'll provide a youtube video, I promise.

If you read up to here, here is your reward : http://www.pautrot.com/tmp/block_puzzle_freemode_03.jar

You still need Java and a Microsoft XBOX controller to make it work.

Have fun (I hope so!).

On February 20, 2013 :

Hi fellow developers

I'm Alexis, working in game industry as programmer since 10 years. On my spare time, I'm creating Java games since 1 year, using libgdx. For now, I'm still in the learning process. I didn't released any game.

I'm learning a lot from various website that try to spread good principles in game design (one of my favorite being www.lostgarden.com). One principle is to never create any graphics or narration context on your game until the concept and the core mechanics are well established. It's a good excuse for the poor graphics I'm using here Smiley

I just wished to share here the prototype I'm working on. Nothing spectacular, nothing new, nothing beautiful, nothing elaborated. Just a small prototype I did this week-end. I just wished to show it to the public. You don't even have to try it. You don't even have to read this post. Yes, you can close this thread Smiley

But anyway, because it is the rule, you can test it from here : http://www.pautrot.com/tmp/block_puzzle_freemode.jar

Ho.. ha.. I forget to say : you have to plug a Microsoft XBox controller in order to have fun ! else you will just have an exception (which is not the fun I'd like to share..).

I feel better now my baby has born in public Smiley

I find the core mechanic rather fun, I already have ideas of side mechanics in mind. I think I can aim a puzzle mode and a zen/free mode (this is the one you can play in this demo).

Cheers.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:10:46 AM by tortuap » Logged
tortuap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:04:21 PM »

Updated the February 25, 2013.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 03:22:35 PM »

What are the mechanics? Does it still crash if I don't use a 360 controller?

play hydlide 2
tortuap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 02:44:39 PM »

The game mechanic is a match three, rather fast, with a pretty addictive rhythm. It is the most simple match three game play, but timed tight enough to be challenging.

I have updated the version which now have a multiplier on score, and that can be played with the keyboard.

Give it a try and tell what you think..
tortuap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 02:51:47 PM »

Updated the March 03, 2013.
tortuap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:24:07 AM »

Updated the March 11, 2013.
tortuap