Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:17:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPlaystation 4
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Playstation 4  (Read 18586 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2013, 03:09:24 AM »

I only brought the fact

So you aren't talking about the WiiU then?

EDIT : I just read the gamasutra article. I didn't realize that Mark Cerny was the systems architect for the PS4. That's interesting.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:25:07 AM by InfiniteStateMachine » Logged

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2013, 08:29:48 AM »

EDIT : I just read the gamasutra article. I didn't realize that Mark Cerny was the systems architect for the PS4. That's interesting.

Yes it is. And I can't help but wonder why everyone else is focusing on the less important details from this presentation. This fact was huge, and anyone familiar with the development of the previous Playstations would understand why.

Sony has always been a rather fragmented company. They're trying to move away from that business model, but progress has been slow. And the architecture for their Playstation line has always been designed by their senior Japanese engineering teams. Ken Kutaragi was famously responsible for spearheading the design of the PS3.

When Sony greenlit the design of the PS3, they were out of touch with the direction that the modern game industry was taking. The appointment of Mark Cerny as the lead systems architect for the PS4 speaks volumes about the direction that Sony intends to take with their latest hardware platform. For starters, Mark Cerny is not a Japanese engineer. He is first and foremost a highly experienced game designer/programmer. He's also not from Japan, and can bring an understanding of Western cultures and business to the design of the PS4. All of these are positive developments, given the areas where Sony has lost the most ground in the current console cycle.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »

I only brought the fact

Yes I am, i'm saying it's unlikely that a project that predate trends has been slapped hastily to follow trend.

ClayB
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »

so wats gona win da consol war ps4 or ouya

The orbis
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2013, 11:20:57 AM »

I think the share button should be used for writing messages in Dark Souls 3 PS4.  Well, hello there!

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2013, 11:35:24 AM »

I sort of wonder when sharing my gameplay exploits became so important that it warrented a dedicated button?  Undecided

It sounds a bit cheesy.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »

Facebook is cheesy. a bajillion actives.

there should be like a cooler way to share. when you go to public you wear a dress, and girls see you, and then you are cool. you don't poke them, or make them look at your dress. the dress is there, in and around the experience of you, which they may gravitate towards or not.

the internet is like, "DECIDE. TO.SOCIAL. ..!" Should be more natural.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »

I only brought the fact

Yes I am, i'm saying it's unlikely that a project that predate trends has been slapped hastily to follow trend.
yes because tablets werent a trend at all when the wii u was announced  Roll Eyes
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »

don't see the point of having a Cher button

olücæbelel
Ant
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »

Well the point is you'll be able to upload to sites like youtube straight from your Playstation instead of faffing about with PC capture cards, editing suites and compression codecs. I probably wouldn't use it but it saves a lot of hassle for those that do.
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »

The real point for Sony is that "Share" means giving the game you're playing and the platform you're playing it on cheap advertising to your social network contacts. It's the same as web content having Share buttons.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »

I only brought the fact

yes because tablets werent a trend at all when the wii u was announced  Roll Eyes
It was, but there is also evidence they were about to do it anyway, they were thinking about it since the DS at least, that's the fact. Concluding it has been made to follow trend is "unlikely" "given evidence" also because yeah, nintendo is known to follow trend blindly (like tech power), but who know but nintendo. I think it's the worst timing for them ever, maye they thought that the trend would help them (like the 3DS but it hasn't paid them good the trend of 3D screen).

BTW

PS2

Nvidia 8800

PS4

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »

its not hard to make an impressive looking face when you dedicate half the gpu's memory to vertex buffers for it
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2013, 03:26:53 PM »

its not hard to make an impressive looking face when you dedicate half the gpu's memory to vertex buffers for the face
not an entirely unheard of scenario for a dialogue mode.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »

its not hard to make an impressive looking face when you dedicate half the gpu's memory to vertex buffers for the face
not an entirely unheard of scenario for a dialogue mode.

since when, and for what games?

what you describe would involve unloading terrain/environment buffers outside the field of view depending on the orientation of the actors in question and whether or not they move around or not. that carries the implication that the environment and the objects within it are loaded into buffers relative to their position, and unless the developers plan on wasting overhead on buffers with 500 bytes of data in them, they would be forced to load all the geometry in that "area" into the same buffer, which from there would mean that only one kind of shader can be applied to said objects stored within the buffer.

it just seems like way too hard of a technical problem for most AAA studios to even bother solving, but i would love to see an example of it being implemented.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2013, 03:41:27 PM »

Well:
Tomb raider
unchartred
mass effect
LA noire
etc...

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »

Well:
Tomb raider
unchartred
mass effect
LA noire
etc...

do you have technical evidence that they're unloading half their memory to make room for face meshes proportional in size to the one we saw at the ps4 demo?

Sure, I can imagine loading a higher resolution mesh for dialogue scenes, but there's no way in hell any of those examples are blowing half their memory budget on face meshes.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2013, 03:58:05 PM »

The point is that it's not the streaming, it's the quality minimal leap, and talking face with reasonable quality in game is current gen (last of us), the only difference is the hair on the old man. LA noir has a strong streaming (no need to unload) and mass effect has hi quality texture for close up face. The mesh in ps4 (aside from hair) is barely above what we already have. But actually it wasn't a tech demo, it was david cage making a point on rendering face, to stress is filmic analogy, the discourse was the point, not the head. For technical evidence just google you will find plenty.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2013, 04:04:11 PM »

Ok now visual leap gif

The ps4/wiiU mandatory joke gif

WIIU (closest comparison to killzone, not exactly the same style)

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »

Level of Detail. It works wonders, you know. Crisp, detailed faces up close. The further away you go, less detailed they are, amounting to lower performance cost.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic