Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 05:17:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKingdoms Rise
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms Rise  (Read 61605 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2013, 04:28:57 AM »

Here's the video flythrough version;

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: October 01, 2013, 06:01:19 AM »

I'm working on a video tutorial series to teach people how to play KR

these will come with the game and you'll be able to play each one individually from the "tutorial" tab

Here's a first draft of the first video, meant to teach "Basic Melee"

other ones i still need to make include;
Advanced Melee - Counterattacking
Advanced Melee - Locking
Advanced Melee - Combos
Basic Movement
Character Creation

and then I was going to do a short intro video to each spell as we add it.

Please tell us any improvements you can think to make to that first vid

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: October 02, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »

Sorry for temporal offtopic, I just want to know why you prefer UDK to Unity for this game.

I would also like to know whether you use a fixed frame-rate for game-mechanics.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 02, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »

Rad as always
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: October 02, 2013, 04:24:45 PM »

Sorry for temporal offtopic, I just want to know why you prefer UDK to Unity for this game.

I would also like to know whether you use a fixed frame-rate for game-mechanics.

If I was working alone I'd be using unity for sure, programming a game in unreal is a whole lot more difficult than in unity.
The art pipeline is also a whole lot more complex in UDK due to all their clever stuff to optimize performance and load times etc.
So basically a game will take 10 times as long to make in UDK but it will likely run 10 times faster and look 10 times better, it's just a trade off you need to make one way or the other depending on your needs.

This game probably couldn't be made in anything other than UDK, it really makes heavy use of all the animation functions available in UDK which other engines just don't really have.
I also really wanted it's graphics and effects to be on par with the current technology rather than having to do something cartoony or low poly so that it would run smoothly in unity.

We don't ever code things to a fixed frame rate, frame rates are never reliable and code should always be based on the time a frame actually took to render or tick (deltatime) . This is especially true in a multiplayer game like ours where all the players need to be kepy in sync and getting consistent messages

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: October 03, 2013, 06:24:48 PM »

here's all the tutorial videos in a playlist

EnigmaDevFan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 03, 2013, 06:38:30 PM »

What is this, unity? Damn my games might have awesome graphics but my skills just don't stand a chance with games like this one. Excellent work, keep it up! The amount of detail you put in to those 3D scenes in incredible. Smiley
Hisai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 04, 2013, 07:57:36 AM »

Really digging what you're going for with KR. Neat stuff.

@EnigmaDevFan
They're using UDK, not unity Wink
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2013, 02:58:40 AM »

We don't ever code things to a fixed frame rate, frame rates are never reliable and code should always be based on the time a frame actually took to render or tick (deltatime) . This is especially true in a multiplayer game like ours where all the players need to be kepy in sync and getting consistent messages
Not sure about multiplayer but aside from that you cannot have perfectly relyable mechanics in a variable step, except you want randomness of slight inconsistencies on purpose. I have to imagine a solid competitive combat game would require frame perfect timing dependencies, at least that is the quality I would shoot for.

If the game doesn't manage to run at a certain frame-rate one option can be to lower the visuals instead of violating the intended game-mechanics.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Uykered
« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2013, 04:04:48 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26388.msg779322#msg779322
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:19:26 AM by alastair » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: October 06, 2013, 02:01:50 PM »

To point out a flaw you would have with measures based on elapsed time:

In general the interplay of attack and recovering-time would not be modeled correctly. As example imagine you block a certain attack and counter it with something appropriate which is intended to be tightly possible. Now imagine the last frame before your attack hits takes a little more processing time so that your opponent can block again. That moment changed the intended mechanics of the game, like if in chess the horse is jumping 4 instead of 3 fields all of a sudden. Of course one can come up with ways to take that elapsed time and try to restore the correct happening but there are still rounding errors, which means your mechanics cannot always be perfectly clean.

Of course there are ways to help it but the tendency is against you. This would be all solved if the happening is modeled in discrete frame-time intervals and not in real elapsed time. That is why fixed timestep.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »

To point out a flaw you would have with measures based on elapsed time:

In general the interplay of attack and recovering-time would not be modeled correctly. As example imagine you block a certain attack and counter it with something appropriate which is intended to be tightly possible. Now imagine the last frame before your attack hits takes a little more processing time so that your opponent can block again. That moment changed the intended mechanics of the game, like if in chess the horse is jumping 4 instead of 3 fields all of a sudden. Of course one can come up with ways to take that elapsed time and try to restore the correct happening but there are still rounding errors, which means your mechanics cannot always be perfectly clean.

Of course there are ways to help it but the tendency is against you. This would be all solved if the happening is modeled in discrete frame-time intervals and not in real elapsed time. That is why fixed timestep.

Yeah, I see what you are saying, we do have measures in place which enforce rules like re-attack time but it's still an internet networked game.
Delay and bandwidth are always going to try and create inconsistencies in the game so it's kind of pointless for us to worry about small differences in frame render times (especially when most people will be running the game at 60fps)

Anyway, today I started working on a Steam banner image;

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2013, 10:28:35 PM »

BIRDS!!!

Yes.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2013, 03:11:50 AM »

Bows

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: October 20, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »

back to working on the cover image.

To be perfectly honest I don't really want to be the one doing this
and so far I'm not happy with my results.
Even though I don't think I'm technically qualified enough to make what I want made nobody I want to contract has responded to my emails.

So yeah, I'll probably have to take a few runs at this before it looks like how I want

Blambo
« Reply #235 on: October 20, 2013, 05:41:13 PM »

Not a huge fan of the low saturation high contrast look, considering the actual visuals of the game are really lively and vibrant. And the rendering seems weirdly muddy in some places but super sharp in others, and there's lots of extraneous brushstrokes that don't add much, but you're not done so I'll shut up about that.

But I love this project and everything about it, so I want to take a crack at a cover, brb
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: October 20, 2013, 05:59:12 PM »

not keen on the highlights/rendering too much atm, but I believe you can do something you'll be happy with!

Good luck  Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: October 20, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »

This looks great Smiley

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: October 20, 2013, 09:36:04 PM »

I tried some small fixes, I think it's quite an improvement
I didn't realize how i'd been overdoing the contrast until you guys said it

Uykered
« Reply #239 on: October 20, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »

Looking a lot more cool, i feel like a bit of the red glow should be on his other arm and sword too though as just the white light by itself is a bit boring.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic