Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:39:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBeginner's Guide to Indie Gaming (WIP)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Beginner's Guide to Indie Gaming (WIP)  (Read 167324 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2007, 04:24:56 PM »

That sounds fuck awesome. I look forward to the PC version!

frosty
Level 1

ice cold & refreshing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »

I liked the intro and the list, but I wonder if it's too inclusive to be useful to beginners. 

Right now, its sort of like when you ask a friend about their favorite band and what album you should try listening to first.  But because they know way too much about the topic, they can't bring themselves to just pick one -- so you walk out with a stack of 50 CDs. =)

If nothing else, it might be a good idea to call out the 3 or 4 Must Play games. Just a thought.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2007, 09:12:33 PM »

I liked the intro and the list, but I wonder if it's too inclusive to be useful to beginners. 

Right now, its sort of like when you ask a friend about their favorite band and what album you should try listening to first.  But because they know way too much about the topic, they can't bring themselves to just pick one -- so you walk out with a stack of 50 CDs. =)

If nothing else, it might be a good idea to call out the 3 or 4 Must Play games. Just a thought.

There's no way to narrow it down that much!  Although I tried to stack it in a way so that even if you never made it past the first 10, you'd get a good sampling.  And as you get further down, you get to more obscure and niche titles, like Punishment... that are significant in their own way but are less appealing.  Or games like Fizzwizzle, which I think are well-made and fun, but aren't extending themselves very much.

Anyway, I don't really feel like anyone who sees 50 games is going to be overwhelmed.  This way, the more interested they get, the deeper they can keep digging (another reason why there are "also try" links that accompany a lot of the games.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2007, 09:38:10 PM »

Platform/OS information might be useful on the feature.  I noticed we have it here in the thread now.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2007, 11:15:05 PM »

I really wish you could make this guide into a PDF when it's finished ?!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2007, 11:19:08 PM »

Why a PDF?

And why "?!" ?

For print or something?

Nikica
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2007, 11:57:55 PM »

Dont mind the "?!"

It would be cool because I could send it to more people, it's better IMO to have it on your PC and I like to read PDF-Magazines.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: August 09, 2007, 05:08:52 AM »

Ok I did alot of thinking about the list and here is my proposition:

I update the main list with a couple new titles to make it an even number. Something like 125 or tone it down to 100.

Then, I add a little symbol that says "Highly recommended"

And then, I create sort with only the community recommended titles. Combined with Derek's list, I think we'll have a three level thing going on... Firts Level: Highly reocmmended (Derek's pic) (50 games). Second Level: The community pick (50 other games). Third level: The honorable mention (about 50 games), all in one list...

Is this a good idea?
Later!

Nikica
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2007, 05:41:42 AM »

I think Drain Storm (http://tigsource.com/articles/2007/07/17/classic-drain-storm) needs to be on the list, it's better than DROD !!!
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2007, 06:10:40 AM »

Is there perhaps interest in some kind of web app to keep the list fresh as new stuff comes out? Not that i've got the time to volunteer for such an initiative, though.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: August 09, 2007, 03:00:06 PM »

We just got dugg pretty hard (750 and counting):

http://digg.com/gaming_news/50_Really_Good_Indie_Videogames

I'm really happy with the comments people are posting.  It means we didn't miss the mark by very much. Smiley

Awesome list..Dugg.

I downloaded nearly all of them.

I'm definately digging this list. I've played a handful of games on the list and they have all been fantastic, so I'm assuming the rest of the list will be of similar quality.

Indie gaming, here we goooooo! Tongue

And my favorite quote:

Dugg for not claiming "Best Of"

Wink
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2007, 04:55:37 AM »

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2007, 06:27:10 AM »

Over one thousand, 'grats man!

My favorite digg comment:

These lists always leave out Eternal Daughter - by far the best indie game I've played

roflcaeks!

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2007, 09:57:55 AM »

This is an awesome list! Man, I can't believe that some people actually go to Gametunnel....lol....TIGS is soo much better Smiley

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
princec
BANNED
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: August 16, 2007, 02:26:43 AM »

Booo! No Puppygames in list!

Cas Smiley

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: August 16, 2007, 05:19:26 AM »

No Puppy games? Well, which puppy game would you suggest that would be worthy to be on the list? Smiley

Later!

fucker
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 16, 2007, 05:33:05 AM »

No Puppy games? Well, which puppy game would you suggest that would be worthy to be on the list? Smiley

Later!

Sometimes I wonder if you actually knew enough about indie games to compile a list, or just using pure interest in the scene to hide the fact that you know very little about it.

Later!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 05:36:33 AM by fucker » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: August 16, 2007, 05:40:43 AM »

Later!

Sometimes I wonder if you actually knew enough about indie games to compile a list, or just using pure interest in the scene to hide the fact that you know very little about it.

Later!

Hey, don't be such a fucker, fucker. Lips Sealed
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2007, 05:42:13 AM »

Later!

Later!

lol

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Kon-Tiki
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2007, 06:09:06 AM »

Later!

Later!

It IS a bit weird, not knowing Puppy Games, who made Cave Story, who made Guardian of Paradise or the La-Mulana team's name while making a list that should show others the best and most varied games list the scene has to offer. Some things are just basic knowledge that's needed before you start telling others what the scene has to offer.

Raf Vermeulen
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic