Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 11:28:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStonehearth
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Stonehearth  (Read 17623 times)
poe
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 08:56:33 AM »

Awesome, didn't know that existed!
inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »

Incredible!

Please, add mages! Please!

Like, dark wizards or so. Oh, it would be so nice  Wizard

You mean like this?

Versigtig
Level 0

... carefully, now.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »

The graphics look absolutely lovely~ I am totes digging the style and effects that you have applied. The voxel characters are wonderful too! I'm trying to find things to critique but after reading your dev blog and learning about the game I am coming up short; you've definitely got a winner here!

A few questions, though: I imagine you are going to try to sell this game (I know I would try, haha), so have you and your team given any thought to potential prices? Will you be running a Kickstarter at some point? If you did indeed do something like Kickstarter it might very well be the first project I ever give money too ahead of time.

Also, how long does it take you to create each character? Is the graphics system such that you can easily knock out new graphics or does it take more time then that?

(That made looks badass  Cool, btw ; the "dark face" look is cool but I wonder if it's a little too flat? Perhaps make the face come out just a bit to give it a little depth? I dunno, just a thought.)
inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

A few questions, though: I imagine you are going to try to sell this game (I know I would try, haha), so have you and your team given any thought to potential prices? Will you be running a Kickstarter at some point? If you did indeed do something like Kickstarter it might very well be the first project I ever give money too ahead of time.

Yes, we quit or jobs to make this game, so selling it at some point would be nice.  Our most likely scenario is a Kickstarter or some form of alpha funding so that we can continue working until Stonehearth is everything we want it to be.  It will be priced competitively with other sim-type indie titles.  More than $5 but much less than $50 or anything outrageous like that.

Also, how long does it take you to create each character? Is the graphics system such that you can easily knock out new graphics or does it take more time then that?
It's hard to say, because I constantly revisit my work as I learn new tricks, especially in the color palette.  The initial version of a character usually takes 2-4 hours.  Here's a link to a speed sculpt of a troll, which took around 2 hours.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBgmrpEa8g8

But this guy still needs a lot of work.  Here's a screenshot of about another hour of tweaking to define a jaw and clean up the definition of his features.  Still not done, but getting there.

(That made looks badass  Cool, btw ; the "dark face" look is cool but I wonder if it's a little too flat? Perhaps make the face come out just a bit to give it a little depth? I dunno, just a thought.)

I agree!  The mage needs some more work.  See above.  Wink
Versigtig
Level 0

... carefully, now.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 02:38:49 PM »

The initial version of a character usually takes 2-4 hours.  Here's a link to a speed sculpt of a troll, which took around 2 hours.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBgmrpEa8g8

Wow... I guess I never considered how much extra work there was when pixelling in 3D; I mean voxelling, haha. After watching that video I am in awe of just what goes into making a single character. That doesn't even cover animating it, either! Yeesh~ Crazy

Turbo gamma hyper double Hand Thumbs Up Left thumbs up Hand Thumbs Up Right, though! With the level of dedication you're showing I'm sure this game will be a major success and an indie hit. Smiley
TGoCoGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 02:40:53 PM »

Looks amazing.  Really pulled off a unique look within the style.

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 02:52:08 PM »

Awesome! I can't wait to see how combat is going to look.

inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 08:04:30 PM »

Yooooo,

So "the coder" continues to crank away at the combat system, which has left me some time to work on some terrain concepts.  These have two purposes:  First is to act as our own internal reference point for the kinds of things that we want the player to achieve.

More importantly, our current perlin-based terrain makes it really difficult to place your buildings, because there are no big flat areas.  We need terrain that is "more or less flat" for easy building and road placement, but that also looks interesting and beautiful.

So, here are the concepts.  The first shows off a new proposed terrain model, where we chunkify elevation changes into largish plateaus with fewer, larger elevation changes.

The second just shows off what we hope an end-game city would look like, with different building styles and whatnot.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:11:02 AM by inkblot » Logged
Goran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 10:56:02 PM »

The amount if detail in those concept pictures is amazing. Will you be able to achieve anything close to this in game?

I think you're on the right track with the world generation. Oh hell, you're on the right track with all of it Smiley

geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 05:36:22 AM »

Kiss Those pictures are amazing!
Was there not a way to terraform in the previous terrain model to make flat land to build on? But i do think the chunky elevation is better.
inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2013, 07:55:03 AM »

The amount if detail in those concept pictures is amazing. Will you be able to achieve anything close to this in game?

I think you're on the right track with the world generation. Oh hell, you're on the right track with all of it Smiley

We believe we can come close.  The people may not be so detailed at that zoom level due to LOD, and the reflections in the water may have to go...
inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 07:58:41 AM »

Kiss Those pictures are amazing!
Was there not a way to terraform in the previous terrain model to make flat land to build on? But i do think the chunky elevation is better.

Ha, landscaping actually is not in the game yet.  But even when that feature comes online, we want players spending their time expressing their creativity through building and battle tactics, not clearing rows and rows of voxels just to build the house the size they want.

Thanks, I like the new terrain style too!
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2013, 08:18:38 AM »

Christ, I might as well just quit now.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2013, 09:32:47 AM »

Cool look, idea. Reminds me of another game that is Minecraft meets village management. I forget its name though. Its youtube vid had a million views. I'm sure you can find it seeing that it belongs to a competitor.

I don't like being able to see a house finished before it is finished. That takes away the joy of actually seeing it finish. The "plan" version of houses/buildings should be uglier or bare-bones or simpler I think.
TGoCoGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2013, 10:58:34 AM »

Christ, I might as well just quit now.

I know, this game looks so great it makes me feel worse about my own projects!

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2013, 01:06:14 PM »

Incredible!

Please, add mages! Please!

Like, dark wizards or so. Oh, it would be so nice  Wizard

You mean like this?

Woo hoo! Yes! Just like that Smiley
I wish for some cool, dark spells now!  Smiley

Also, incredible castle-city!

Atrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2013, 01:51:14 PM »

Nice, very nice Coffee . Just a suggestion for this type of game(because nobody did it with games that I've played). You can add a king/player avatar just so you can view your town from first person, that would be pretty cool. Imagine... walking through town as npc running around, working. ...beautiful Beg
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »

Nice, very nice Coffee . Just a suggestion for this type of game(because nobody did it with games that I've played). You can add a king/player avatar just so you can view your town from first person, that would be pretty cool. Imagine... walking through town as npc running around, working. ...beautiful Beg

And then there's a jester dwarf that has to dance for you.
Also, when you walk by everyone stops what they're doing and bows.
(Not really)

inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »

And then there's a jester dwarf that has to dance for you.
Also, when you walk by everyone stops what they're doing and bows.
(Not really)

Nice idea with the FPS unit.  Our initial concept for the game was that you always played as an avatar with an over the shoulder view, but we couldn't figure out how to resolve a zoomed-in, single-unit view with the wide view that would be required for building.

And actually, the jester/bard unit that makes everyone laugh/dance as they walk by is one of our reference cases for user mods.  You should be able to write that mod yourself in < 100 likes of LUA, package it up, and share it with other players.  We call it the "dance party" mod.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:18:37 PM by inkblot » Logged
Swaggermuffin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »

Posting to follow. I really like the level of detail you get out of voxels.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic