Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:51:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStonehearth
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Stonehearth  (Read 17563 times)
inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »

Back with another update.  The basics of combat are in!  So far we only support melee combat, but combat gear, AI, animations, and damage dealing are all working pretty well.  Here's a quick teaser video.

We totally wen't overboard here, but it was fun and should pay off.  The combat engine is closer to something like Street Fighter or Tekken than a traditional RTS-like combat system.  We hope this makes combat more dynamic and epic.

Some details on our implementation are on our devblog.

In other news, we're planning a Kickstarter for around the end of the month!  Basically it's been just the two of us plugging away at this, and some additional support would really move development along.

Edit: also, hey look we have a new logo!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:55:55 AM by inkblot » Logged
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »

How did that with blizzard go? I see you gonna stick to Stonehearth?

inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »

Yup, we really like the name and it's starting to gain traction, so we're sticking with it!
Ponder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2013, 03:35:48 PM »

It's been a long road, but we're making good progress in converting our prototype build engine into the real thing.  Here's a demonstration of the AI worker scheduler coordinating the construction of a house.

In our AI system, each unit has their own little brain, complete with observations about the world, goals about what they want to achieve, and ways about getting what they want.  If they're tired, they'll go to sleep, and if they see something scary they'll run away.

For coordinated tasks like building, we have a gang scheduler which coordinates the jobs of the workers.  You can think of this guy like the foreman, who picks out the best thing to work on next.  It has a dependency tree of all the projects the player has diagramed out to make sure things get built in the proper order.  For example, it makes sure the two columns between supporting a wall get built before the wall itself and that all 4 walls of the house are built before someone starts working on the roof.

In the video, you can see the workers coordinating their actions via the gang scheduler to cooperatively build a house.  Though they each have their own, independent agendas, one item in their priority list is to help out with the construction of the house.  Right now it's still very early days for us, so that's about all they care to do. =)  In the real game, there will be all sorts of real-life interruptions.  If an invading force gets too close to your town, they'll of course all run for their lives.  If they get hunger, they'll go looking for food to eat instead of working themselves to death.  You get the idea.  We're striving for this ant-farm quality to the game, where building and exploring are super fun, but just watching your citizens running around doing their thing should be just as engaging and surprising for the player.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:10:06 PM by Ponder » Logged
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2013, 05:01:58 PM »

Yes!

I love watching AI like that work - and in this case it's amazing. Will definitely support the Kickstarter!

Goran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2013, 08:16:01 AM »

I know the house building is supposed to be the focus but man, those rabbits take my heart Smiley

Fantastic job guys!

inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2013, 08:23:56 AM »

Whelp, our Kickstarter has just gone live!

The page and video share a lot more information about the game, including...

- Details on our mod story
- Bosses!
- How our tech trees will work
- Lots more screenshots and concepts.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1590639245/stonehearth

Goran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2013, 08:35:57 AM »

Pledged, bought the kitten Smiley

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »

Reminds me of Timber and Stone
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »

I wasn't impressed until the town shots... then I got excited. Smiley

Backed! Good luck fellas!

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 03:29:02 PM »

ALL OF MY WANT.

DAISHI
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 05:30:43 PM »

I'm fascinated by the concept and art Smiley

The Golden Anvil - A Handdrawn Adventure Game

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=32975.0
matpow2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2013, 06:09:08 PM »

This is really pretty. I'm surprised you went with Qubicle for your editor - I found the free edition to be rather limited, but it seems like you've really managed to master it.

Good luck on the Kickstarter! I'll make sure to pledge something.
Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2013, 06:15:16 PM »

This looks AMAZING!!!!  Hand Money Left Hand Money Left

speng31b
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »

I saw a reference to this posted on another forum I follow earlier, and all I have to say is that it looks amazing. You've really nailed the voxel-world aesthetic in a way very similar to 3D Dot Game Heroes. Keep up the good work, I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this.
Rayiner
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2013, 11:21:05 PM »

Looks amazing.
Is there any chance to get that beta for free test? That´d be awesome! Wink
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »

Well, I backed it!

I hope that mods can allow for an expansion on the economic side as well, since I'm not that interested in RTS but I'm really into city building games (with production chain management, resource management, supply and demand management and traffic management).

Also, building new models to use in-game like Lego is brilliant! (Something Minecraft lacks, imo, with its hardcoded crafting.)

Ponder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »

Well, I backed it!

I hope that mods can allow for an expansion on the economic side as well, since I'm not that interested in RTS but I'm really into city building games (with production chain management, resource management, supply and demand management and traffic management).

Also, building new models to use in-game like Lego is brilliant! (Something Minecraft lacks, imo, with its hardcoded crafting.)

Thanks for the backing!!

Could you describe in more detail what you mean by modding the economic side?  We want as much of the game to be moddable as possible.  Our original thinking on economy is that "gold" would be an abstraction which let you get access to other parts of the game that you may need occasionally, but not want to invest a lot of gameplay in.  For example, if you're really into the military combat game, you would go out questing and killing monsters for gold, then use the gold to buy food.  Conversely, if you're really into the farming game you could create a surplus of food to sell to raise money to hire protection for your crops (or to pay off invaders who want to sack your city).

Did you have other ideas for the economy game?  How would you like to mod it?

Thanks again for the backing. 
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2013, 02:06:52 PM »

Well, I backed it!

Thanks for the backing!!

Could you describe in more detail what you mean by modding the economic side?  We want as much of the game to be moddable as possible.  Our original thinking on economy is that "gold" would be an abstraction which let you get access to other parts of the game that you may need occasionally, but not want to invest a lot of gameplay in.  For example, if you're really into the military combat game, you would go out questing and killing monsters for gold, then use the gold to buy food.  Conversely, if you're really into the farming game you could create a surplus of food to sell to raise money to hire protection for your crops (or to pay off invaders who want to sack your city).

Did you have other ideas for the economy game?  How would you like to mod it?

Thanks again for the backing. 

Many economy games use gold as a general purpose accelerator that is more difficult to get than the direct means of producing something. Like the food you mention is something you could buy with gold, but cheaper to produce yourself directly. So, to continue with your example of hiring protection by other means than gold would perhaps mean that that outfitting soldiers of a certain level would require leather armor that at the most basic level needs hides from the livestock. Then in an economic scenario, the interesting bit would be adding a slaughterhouse, a tanner and then a leather crafter, which would complete that production chain. And to complicate matters, for example, the tanner might need salt for curing which intersects with another production chain. Then the delivery of all these goods would require a traffic management portion, because you'd need to get swords or spears as well which entails a whole mining operation and that makes things really interesting for those wanting to fiddle with the economic side.

As for modding, well, I saw the farming mini-game prototype and that was wonderful. Do you have anything similar for raising livestock? And if not, can you mod that into the game? And can you mod things that the livestock produces into the game? And in turn, can you mod buildings/crafters which need what the livestock produces to produce other things? Modding whole new mini-games is perhaps asking too much, though, unless you have full scripting support.

Also, if you use gold as the central thing you can purchase anything with, perhaps people would want to "cheat" by say modding a goose that lays golden eggs so perhaps you'd want to analyze every mod that a player adds to their game for a gold/minute ratio that could ramp up monster frequency accordingly. Wink

PS. games which use what I reference above are the Settlers series, Anno series, Caesar/Pharaoh series, Patrician series and the Stronghold games, for example.

cubertron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2013, 08:56:02 PM »

holy awesome! i really like the visuals,which software did you use to make the models Smiley ?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic