Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:12:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFaceReality - An abstract First Person platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: FaceReality - An abstract First Person platformer  (Read 1836 times)
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2013, 05:23:36 AM »

Face Reality is a game created with unity4 by a friend and I. It was created for miniLD40 a four day online game jam. The process was exhilarating and an extremely effective way of learning the ins and outs of Unity in a very short period of time. The game consists of basic platforming concepts underpinned by abstract visuals and story driven narrative divided between stages. The game was finished and uploaded literally a second before the 4am GMT deadline February 25th.

Here is a screenshot of the first level ( Stage 1 - Level 1 ):

After the three pre-generated stages of the story players are thrown into an endless runner style randomly generated terrain. This was the part that I found most enjoyable to create and to play. After creating the basics of the random generation system I would go to test it and end up playing the game for five minutes. I think this was the point at which I realised I was very satisfied with what we had achieved. The Later stages of the story added some interesting to programme concepts like portal cubes which teleport you to a designated exit. I would sit for half an hour watching a cube go into the portal cube come out of the exit, drift down into the portal cube again and loop round and around.

(The colours are a direct riff on valve's Portal we know)

Toward the end of the weekend I dedicated a lot of time to ironing out the procedural generation system so as to stop rooms spawning in intersecting each other's tunnels and prevent rooms spawning below another room. I found a bug which caused the rooms to spawn endlessly creating this huge system of platforming which was really quite mind blowing. I think next time I create this type of game with procedural generation a truly endless game will be my goal. In the end we included the random generation as the end to the game.

In each stage there is a simple theme each utilising real world photos for textures. This is how we followed the LD theme of "Real World". These stages reflect a lot of our problems with reality and at the end of each stage we put some short lines of extreme anxiety expression. Our inspirations came from many different places but for me the whole indie developer community was hugely inspiring and helped prove that when you put your mind to it you can accomplish anything. These are wonderful beginnings to what is hopefully a long love for Game creation. Thank you.

Hopefully anyone who plays this enjoys it for what it is. It feels great to make a post about my first completed game! Here is an icon for the game:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:16:58 AM by Desiderata » Logged

Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »

This is pretty cool, I liked it. I didn't get what it was about at first. But it's put together well -- I like the color scheme of things -- so I messed around with it for a while. I figured out you're supposed to collect all the blocks. I didn't realize that the "noise floor" rises up through the whole stage and kills you at a certain point. At first I thought I was just standing in a certain area too long.

I almost finished the second stage, some of the jumping is frustrating because of the tight spaces and the weird shapes and angles the objects are placed at. I got the last block in the second stage but I still died so I just quit, haha.

Nice game though. I didn't get to see your random generation and the gameplay changes, unfortunately.

What are you going to do next?

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:44:29 AM »

Son of Bryce, Thank you very much for the feedback! Sorry the platforming is so challenging in an unfair control-related way. It was supposed to represent the unfairness of life. A slightly wasted analogy in this context maybe. The gameplay changes in Stage 3 slightly and to enter the random generation levels you have to press escape when faced with the question "face reality?" at the beginning. Slightly confusing but it was more of an easter egg seeing as it wasn't hugely polished. Our next game is called BoT and is a much larger 2.5D platformer focusing on a robot who after being struck by severe amnesia (magnets) must fulfill his destiny by helping the inhabitants of the strange new world he crash lands on. The game is a blend of RPG, strong narrative and puzzling with a hint of mini-gaming and humour. Keep an eye out for it or follow out blog here for updates!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 01:21:56 AM by Desiderata » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic