Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:14:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMelodisle
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Melodisle  (Read 18901 times)
Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:07:01 AM »

Hello!

Melodisle is a puzzle platformer about singing and melodies. (Download)

EDIT: Turns out Melodisle got way too cool for Dropbox and therefore my links are disabled. Here's a temporary solution. (Download)

It's the first game I've ever finished and was made for the One Game a Month February challenge.

Let me know what you think! ♪
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 04:53:49 PM by Andrio » Logged

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 03:34:04 AM »

r u fez?

Yes. Gomez

Ant
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 03:55:08 AM »

I had a quick play and I like the general concept of using notes, though I think you should maybe cut the playable notes down a bit, maybe even right down to 4. I'd actually quite like to see pretty much all interaction done through playing notes (though maybe keep a dedicated 'examine' button), as that would give the game more of a unique feel. Movement feel pretty sluggish which is probably to be expected given the dev time.

So to sum up: gud gam concept, do want more  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 07:38:26 AM »

Bugs/critique when you die and respawn the respawn point is sometimes a bit off and you can repeatedly fall into the water, and the note blocks that raise up don't always register when you press the note on them, you need to be bang on centre. Control in the X axis could be a bit tighter too. Also took me a few mins to realise what the 'elevator down' button was but that's no big deal.

Anyway I really really love this, it's wonderful, fantastic job! I'm totally stuck with one key left though, the bird puzzle
Tried playing corresponding notes on do re mi fa so la ti do scale to each bird but nothing, I'll keep thinking.

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 11:55:33 PM »

Quote from: caiys
I think you should maybe cut the playable notes down a bit

I can see where you're coming from, but I actually designed the game around an octave (8 notes), so any other number of playable keys just wouldn't make sense. Besides, I have a whole keyboard of buttons, why not utilise them? But thank you for your feedback Smiley

@Claw: I'm completely aware of these bugs/design flaws but didn't get around to fixing them due to time constraints/inexperience. However I did implement workarounds, such as making the player return to the start if he gets stuck in a continuous fall. And thank you as well! It's awesome to hear people I follow on the Twitter liking my game :D

Let me know if any of you finish the game! People seem to be finding it challenging (which is totally awesome!)

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:53:59 AM »

This is cool, I will kill these birds though

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »

This is great, I've been playing for over an hour, but I can't figure out the BIRDS.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 10:17:02 AM »

had a random idea and thought I'd cracked it but I was wrong.

I figure the order of the birds is what they say, like DO = 0, RE = 1, then their colour is the note, but I've tried it and no win. Also tried going up to each bird and playing their note in order of DO,RE,MI..etc

super stuck!

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »

had a random idea and thought I'd cracked it but I was wrong.

I figure the order of the birds is what they say, like DO = 0, RE = 1, then their colour is the note, but I've tried it and no win. Also tried going up to each bird and playing their note in order of DO,RE,MI..etc

super stuck!

Yeah, I tried the exact same thing. M-maybe a hint, Andrio?

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:24:34 PM »

Wow, people are interpreting the bird puzzle in so many different ways!

It has nothing to do with the colours.

Also make sure to double-check sequences, they may not trigger properly sometimes because of a 'bug' where pressing the 'first note' of a sequence out-of-order will reset the sequence counter to 0 instead of back to 1.

I'll probably update it sometime next week, just to fix a few silly bugs that I've noticed which are easy fixes. I don't want to touch it too much.

I'm saving that for the future.

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 10:55:51 PM »

I've tried playing the birds' notes in front of them in order, reverse order, from top to bottom, bottom to top. I tried every method also making sure I played the birds' corresponding notes at the exact same time they did.

I'm runnin' out of options here.

oh god I hate birds so much I wish I can sing these birds to death

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 01:17:37 AM »

Hmm. Message me the codes you're entering.

chrysiridia
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »

This is lovely. The little walking sounds are adorable. The mouth appearing on the back of the head if you play notes while facing away from the screen is a little weird, though.
mushbuh
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »

Time to bruteforce the last puzzle

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 08:48:46 PM »

Everyone's having difficulty on the last puzzle!

I've gone back and checked to make sure the puzzle is actually possible about 3 times. And it is. The birds are just telling you two different things.

Going to wait until someone shares a solution.

Tondo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 09:30:44 PM »

I haven't beaten the game, but this game is pretty cool! A very nice, short, puzzle platformer.

I'm also stuck on the bird puzzle though, as well as the Zelda one for some reason...

In general I like the puzzles, but some of them aren't actually puzzles, since you flat out tell them what notes to play etc. I guess it's good as a tutorial, but if the game is as short as I think it is, it's kind of a shame that we don't get more actual puzzles, since the core concept of this game is pretty fresh and fun.
mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »

Solved the bird puzzle.

Fa Do Re La Do Ti So Mi
(FASWREQD)

It took ~4 hours of trying to figure out, then I just wrote a program to brute force every permutation of notes I could play. I got it after ~1 hour of that at 20x speed. (not including the time it took to write the program)

I guess you could say that puzzle really WREQD me.

Overall, the game was a 9/10 relaxing and fun experience until the bird puzzle. It took a long time before I actually got anywhere near the actual solution (even after a little hint), and I was still shooting in the dark.

Great game though. I hope you consider possibly revising the bird puzzle and adding more content.

...or you can just make a new game where you have to write programs to help solve puzzles. That would be amazing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:46:51 PM by Raycast » Logged

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 11:55:11 PM »

Solved the bird puzzle.

Fa Do Re La Do Ti So Mi
(FASWREQD)

It took ~4 hours of trying to figure out, then I just wrote a program to brute force every permutation of notes I could play. I got it after ~1 hour of that at 20x speed. (not including the time it took to write the program)

I guess you could say that puzzle really WREQD me.

Overall, the game was a 9/10 relaxing and fun experience until the bird puzzle. It took a long time before I actually got anywhere near the actual solution (even after a little hint), and I was still shooting in the dark.

Great game though. I hope you consider possibly revising the bird puzzle and adding more content.

...or you can just make a new game where you have to write programs to help solve puzzles. That would be amazing.

Hahaha, awesome. Nice job!

I'd call it Brute Force. Smiley

nobody
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 06:58:27 AM »

Some thoughts on the bird puzzle, and how it could maybe be more elegantly designed:

The most straight-forward issue might be that there are two possibilities for each "DO," so even if the player hits upon the intended solution, they might not realize it if their thinking leads them to the opposite assumption about which DO is which. (To fix this, is there any reason not to let the intended solution with the A and R switched also trigger the gem?)

But in a larger sense, I think this puzzle may be a bit too much about trial-and-error, especially since there seems to be such a wide variety of plausible solutions, and even more especially since some of those plausible solutions take a non-trivial amount of time for the player to try out.

One idea that could tighten up that plausible-solution space a bit: maybe each bird's color/sung-note, which currently, as far as I can tell, is irrelevant to the intended solution (and thus leads the player down a whole bunch of blind alleys) should correlate to their left-right position. This would mean that the player could hit upon the intended solution either by thinking it through spatially or by thinking it through musically, and if they're already thinking spatially it might help keep them from wasting so much time trying height-based solutions.

All that said, I think this is a such a good little game. I can't wait to see what you do next.
mushbuh
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »

I did it,

cool game  Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic