Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:50:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XXI: "Thanks For Playing!" [REVIEWED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XXI: "Thanks For Playing!" [REVIEWED]  (Read 4891 times)
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 11:07:26 AM »

Sometimes after playing a great game, you just want to get up and dance to celebrate your victory. So click play and start dancing.

https://soundcloud.com/musicore-studios/the-8-bit-dance

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Drakken
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »

Ooh, I love ending credits themes, particularly oldschool ones (Tetris Attack GB, Super Mario Land, to name a couple). I think it's the mix of resolution/finality with happiness/joy that gets me - the feeling that something truly special has come to an end.

I'll try to make time to take part in this. Smiley

Drakken's Soundcloud - Check out my original game music and other tunes!
BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »

I made this thing. I might make another later.

https://soundcloud.com/bleakprospects/thanksforplaying

Zoe Coleman Music
Level 1

Composer based in Brighton, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2013, 02:25:04 AM »

I started doing a track that was a really happy kids game ending...then actually read the part of the brief about it needing to be triumphant... *facepalm*
Oh wells back to the drawing board!

Website | Soundcloud | Twitter |

KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »

I couldn't enter this one due to too much load in school right now. Had to decide which things to cut from my schedule and this was one of those things, regrettably. Hopefully once I'll get a new laptop I will be able to work more efficiently while at school and get back to these challenges (currently only my desktop works). Maybe I'll post some of the stuff (which is consuming all of my time right now) that I'm working on for my degree in the appropriate thread when it's done. Will that interest people here?

Good luck to all those who entered.

Keep it simple.
christianc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 04:27:36 PM »

KeepItSimple, I'd be interested to hear it.

BleakProspects, is that a wurli or a rhodes in the beginning? Sounds like a wurli to me, love it!

BleakProspects
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »

Yep, it's a synth rhodes.

Daruman
Level 0

私は犬が大好きだよなぁぁ~

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

Thank you kindly! Mine only works for certain types of games, whereas yours would work for nearly any. Great work! I wish someone would develop me some pancakes right now   Sad

Your music is beautiful, like actually amazing and i love everything that i heard.

Kilig: noun. It is the sudden feeling of an inexplicable joy one gets when something romantic or idealistic occurs. I don\'t think there\'s an English word or phrase for it. even Butterfly Stomach doesn\'t do justice to \"kilig\".
christianc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »

Your music is beautiful, like actually amazing and i love everything that i heard.

Wow, thanks! I really appreciate that  Smiley

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 03:30:29 PM »

Happy with what I've got so far, I'll show you when it's complete. Actually, I kinda want to use it as the closing track for a short album I'm working on, but we'll see. WTF
tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2013, 08:10:11 AM »

peanut butter party time club yeah!

ifmcmaster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2013, 06:56:02 PM »

Ah man, I started a piece for this but I'm entering my finals week in college, so I won't have time to finish it :/

Best of luck everyone!

i just wanna make music
tao-tao
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2013, 03:38:33 AM »

Here's my entry. The princess is in this castle and the badly animated dark overlord has been slain, so enjoy some chiptunes with your end credits.

https://soundcloud.com/tuomashietala/where-credits-are-due

If I'm correct I'm still on the better side of the deadline. Right?

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2013, 07:55:07 AM »

Happy with what I've got so far, I'll show you when it's complete. Actually, I kinda want to use it as the closing track for a short album I'm working on, but we'll see. WTF

Well, here it is. I can totally visualize the game logo, credits starting to roll, maybe some flashbacks of bosses you beat, and of course, a "Thanks for playing" in the end.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:11:45 AM by sublinimal » Logged
Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2013, 04:04:17 PM »

Thanks for all the entries!  I shall be giving them all a proper listen and should have the review post up tomorrow-ish.

This post marks the comp officially closed! so all entries above this will be included =)

Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 04:19:57 AM »

Hey Steparnicus, I don't mean to be pushy, but its been almost 4 days since the competition closed, and I'm dying to see who's gonna be selected for the runners up! Any date when you'll reveal the finalists?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:53:40 PM by MusiCore Studios » Logged

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »

*gravelly voice* Kept you waiting, huh?

Sorry for the delay, I've had a few things to sort out and I didn't get chance to sit down and review these until now!  Thanks again to everyone that took part, all of your entries were great!

So!  Getting down to it!

PythonBlue - Top-drawer production and instrumentation, everything sounded brilliant.   I definitely got the WW2 vibe from it, and you nailed the sense of Triumph and resolution.  There was also a sense of relief that came through, kind of like the end of a huge battle (youknow, like...the war Durr...?).  But because of that the sombre mood did creep in a little.  The build of the crescendo did a lot to counteract sad undertones and got everything nice and major, and the final hit punctuated the ending very well.  It was nice to hear you produce something like this which was very much out of your normal specialty and I could definitely picture this as an end credits tune.

8thMode - Fantastic production and instrumentation! There was a real playfulness in the overall sound which I really enjoyed.  Big checks in the triumph and resolution boxes, it made me think of the end of a big adventure and would work for several types of game. My only criticism in terms of the challenge was that there wasn't as big of a buildup towards the crescendo as I was expecting.  However, you do hint at it earlier at around the 24 second mark so it doesn't come from nowhere, but I was anticipating more of a build towards the end.  The crescendo itself is executed perfectly though. Overall its hard to comment on the specifics of this entry since I liked it so much, so well done!

ChristianC -  Great production on this one, although I wasn't completely sold on the use of the chiptune synth along with the piano as it started to grate on me a little as the song progressed, mainly because of the juxtaposition of the harsher glitchy sound against the soft piano.  The banjo part would have been better higher up in the mix as that was really nice and I wanted to hear more of it!  The track did give a sense of resolution, however the mood wasn't all that triumphant throughout most of the track which was quite a big part of the challenge.  However, the build towards the crescendo at 2:58 was great and built up a happier tone, but the crescendo itself was hampered by the drums continuing afterwards.  With all that said musically it was fantastic and I liked how the whole track was a nice smooth building progression towards the ending.  Overall the song was definitely relevant to the theme and I really enjoyed it despite the melancholy feel.  But this wasn't an original piece for the competition so unfortunately I can't really let it get through.   

MusiCore - Great production and instrumentation! I really loved how it sounded retro yet modern & clean at the same time.  The sense of triumph and resolution were definitely there and it would easily fit with an end credits sequence.  For some reason I got a sense that it would be at the end of a Sonic game, or possibly even a Clover/Platinum games end sequence where they have all the characters doing a big dance sequence.  I would have liked to hear a little more progression in the melody, as a lot of the progression was based off just the one riff which made the whole piece seem shorter.  The use of the sweeping effects throughout worked well to split up the song though and helped build towards the crescendo, however this would have been more effective if the melody and chord progression built up along with it.  Unfortunately the track seemed to have been cut off early as well after the crescendo, but I got the idea!  Overall this was a solid entry and I was really hoping for a dancey kind of tune when I was setting up the challenge so good job!

BleakProspects Nice, clean production and a great use chiptune and more natural sounding instruments together.  The intro was nice and the progression throughout made for an infectiously catchy tune!  It definitely fit the bill as an end credits piece, and I got a sense that there would be an epilogue to accompany the credits as this was playing.  However, there was a slight sense of a bittersweet end rather than a triumphant ending.  Unfortunately there also wasn't the big finish I was expecting since the whole piece was a more subdued affair, so it would have been more in line with the challenge had there been more of a build and ended with a bang, rather than opting for the slowing in tempo.  I did really like this entry though, and there is a good chance I will find myself humming this at some point in the future.

Tipp - The production could have been better on this one, The bass kind of muddied up the song and everything else seemed a bit too quiet as a result.  This track would have benefited from being slightly longer as well as it seems to end before it really gets started.  I did like the melodies a lot though and it would have been nice if they had been given a bit more of a chance to shine!  This would work as an end credits tune as it does tick the boxes that I was after in terms of the mood, but there wasn't really any crescendo since it seemed to tail off slightly at the end.  The little flourish at the end was a nice touch though Smiley  I could definitely see where you were going with this entry though but the technical issues seemed to hold it back.

Tao Tao - The production on this was good considering the extremely lo-fi/retro style you opted for.  The main melody synth was maybe a little too basic for my taste though!  When I first listened, the intro had me a little bit confused, but when I listened to the whole piece it made more sense as a bookend for the track.  I loved the progression into the main section and this was another catchy track. You nailed the theme and it really made me smile a lot =D Whilst I could see the intention with the crescendo, it seemed a little overly complicated and there was a distinct gap as it started which broke the flow that you had established up to that point.  Overall though I liked this entry and was an unexpected surprise at the end of the competition.  I could definitely see the bad animation in my minds eye!

Sublinimal - Great production and retro style! however the whole mix was lacking in low-end which seemed a bit of a shame given the more upbeat style you opted for.  Whilst I imagine you wanted to avoid giving it too much punch so that it didn't sound like an ending theme, I think it would have benefited from having something to carry the track through in the bass frequencies.  Another really catchy melody though, I really got the sense this would fit at the end of a high-octane arcade game, something with cars or motorbikes  Smiley The progression was great and the overall mood was exactly what I was looking for (You got an audible "Yeah!" from me as this kicked in, which you should be proud of!)  Reverting to the intro at such a high volume at the end did detract from the crescendo though, as I would have preferred to hear a more definitive "ending". This is another entry that I would have liked to have been a little longer as well as I was really enjoying where you were going with it. 

It was a blast to listen through all the entries and hear the broad spectrum of ideas that came out of it, I was looking forward to hearing everyone get creative and I wasn't disappointed!  Apologies on the timing for those of you that wanted to enter but couldn't due to school commitments!

I've been having a ridiculously tough time whittling this down to the 3, as there were some entries that I really liked in terms of musicality and production, but didn't quite hit on the theme as well as they could have done and vice versa. 

But with that said, the finalists are:

8thMode, PythonBlue & MusiCore

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2013, 04:42:55 PM »

Thank you very much for the critique, Stepharnicus! Smiley Yeah, happy music is not my specialty, and even harder is happy music without a bittersweet element to it. XD

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »

Thanks so much for your critique!  Grin I do agree that my track is a bit shorter than most, but that was partially intentional since I was going for something that makes you feel that you want more...and puts you in the mood of starting a new game.

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »

My track made you think of arcade racing games? Interesting, I imagined it playing after a happy ending in some story-based platformer. Wouldn't even be out of place as an ending theme to some FLCL-like show if it were made with rock instruments, heh. For the record,

and the

are my favorite chiptune ending songs (not only because they're good tracks, but specifically because they're fitting ending tracks for their mood), so you might hear a bit of those in my composition.

About the ending, I guess I should've played the last bar of the chorus bar twice - first as part of the chorus, then just the triumphant three chords without drums, to punctuate it better. Would've made the transition back to the bass smoother too.

Anyway, I also liked where it was going, so I'll definitely be remixing it to a longer version on my album. Listening to the tracks I have now, it seems quite appropriate there too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic