Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:44:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Thin Silence (formerly Proof) - out now!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: The Thin Silence (formerly Proof) - out now!!!  (Read 49755 times)
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »

Hey guys! So, the day has finally come.

We've been Greenlit!

And, to add to that, we have an "announcement" trailer!

Thank you so much for all your support. This is the first big public outing / viewing of the game, and we're excited for you to see it. Check out our website, presskit and everything else too while you're at it!

We'll be starting up alpha testing soon, so if you're interested in that you can sign up to the email list or just keep an eye on this thread when we announce it.

Greenlight - Website

(Formerly Proof)

As well as being the biggest project we've ever attempted, The Thin Silence is the longest (continuous) running project we've worked on (although we've taken a couple of weeks off to work on a little flash game, about to be released).

The Thin Silence is a narrative-driven atmospheric, puzzle-platformer based on a mechanic of collecting and combining items to create tools you use to manipulate your surroundings. You begin deep underground and must work your way back to the surface and the past you left behind.

The game actually began with far more of a focus on exploration and item crafting, but has shifted over time to emphasise the story elements. TTS is a game with puzzles to solve and challenges to overcome, but to a certain extent the experience is about you sitting back and just experiencing the world.

We'll keep this page updated regularly with our progress, check out Nightmerica for our previous work.

Some screenshots/gifs/videos etc:

TTS is made by myself and vivavolt (Ben) we've been planning since about halfway through the development of Nightmerica. We put off any serious work on it until after we released Nightmerica so we wouldn't be distracted but now we're getting into it!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 02:28:39 PM by iammonshushu » Logged

deddhogg
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:43:37 PM »

Will it be available for PC? Sounds wonderful, keeping an eye on this.
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:11:49 AM »

It will be on PC, Mac and Linux (probably, it's being built using Flash).

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:32:07 PM »

I'll try to post a screenshot with every update but there isn't really much to see at the moment! Three or four more puzzles done and a huge dent in the story component. After much deliberation we've decided the best way to show the story without interfering with the game experience is with short flashbacks. We're trying to keep diaglogue to a minimum but decided none at all would make the story close to impossible to convey.

Anyway, next time: screenshots! Hopefully...

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 01:14:38 AM »

Minimalist. I like it.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 01:58:22 AM »

Cool. I hope it has lots of pretty lights.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:22:50 AM »

Seeking the light, to be seen, known and understood.

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 03:26:34 AM »

Hey everyone,

Just chiming in so I get updates on this thread / so you all know I'm the programmer & artist.

Also I made the sexy gif above.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 03:59:06 AM »

Hey devs. Looks pretty good!

Feedback: The legs on that guy far too long. When they bend, it isn't really fluid. Just my two pennies.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
TGoCoGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 09:50:11 AM »

Looks really interesting, and I love the art style.

I agree with Impmaster on the movement of that long legged guy though.  Looks a little off.

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, he's meant to be very lanky (that's what we're going for) but I agree the animation could probably use some tweaks. It's tricky to get the feel we want out of it (I'm not really an animator by trade).

sexybeastfareast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »

This project is intriguing defiantly keeping an eye on this!

Loving the light effects very sleek. But the design of the spirit in the GIF conflicts with your description of "very lanky". To me he's too square and ridged/stiff to be fit the slender lankiness design. Which is why the legs seem too stiff.
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 04:53:28 AM »

Ok sorry, there aren't new screenshots; Ben is in NZ and I've been sick and dying! Three new levels are designed though. When we release the game I might even give the original sketches to some people who get the game. Here's a picture of me whiteboarding a level (I have a notepad of the levels properly drawn up, but I didn't have it on me):

HOW EXCITING DOES THAT LOOK

zede05
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 09:09:18 AM »

Looks very cool, like the simple animation style.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »

Technically we have a playable prototype now; the movement engines and first couple of gameplay elements are already in place. To get to an acceptable alpha release might be a while though. There are still no puzzles and the core mechanic is coming together. I'm hesitant to give a timeframe because it'll really depend on how much time we have and how polished we want it to be. The specifics of the story are only just coming together, and I don't want the alpha to give anything away.

Also, thanks! It's pretty much all Ben's work, and I think he's quite proud of it.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 06:30:00 PM »

I also like the simple character design and animation, though the walking animation seems a bit off (how the character's trailing leg moves when its leading leg goes forward). Nice work so far, though.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 08:26:57 PM »

Ok, so lots going on in the background but not a lot to show off! Redid the entire menu system due to compatability issues and starting implementing more gameplay elements. Story is coming together some more but we are still keen to have that discovered in game.

Here's the design of the menu system
The slots will be used to combine items, the icons are placeholders at the moment

Uykered
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 11:14:01 PM »

This looks cool. How come you guys are using Flash now?
iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 03:02:45 PM »

Clickteam released the flash exporter! Honestly we prefer to develop and release on computers not iOS devices and exporting to flash lets us do that really easily.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 07:15:25 PM »

Apologies for the silent period, a lot of goings on. Our programmer Ben (vivavolt) has been slaving over a hot stove rewriting the program in actionscript instead of using MMF2 from Clickteam. The limitations of MMF2 were sufficient that it was worthwhile to redo everything. The menu system is done, as well as the camera system (it's so beautiful in traditional programming instead of drag-and-drop). So we're powering along now and should get to the point of something real to show everyone in a month or two (possibly the whole first area)!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic