Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:43:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Thin Silence (formerly Proof) - out now!!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: The Thin Silence (formerly Proof) - out now!!!  (Read 50084 times)
vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2013, 06:12:26 AM »

Update:

Hooray! Code is looking much more modular, but there are some issues I have with it (like handling very specific functionality means creating a one-use component, which feel dirty).

Still, progress.

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2013, 04:08:15 AM »

Spend some time trying out new backgrounds today, and fixing some bugs in components (one exam down, as an aside).

(Click for fullsize!)

Some of them are looking a bit plain, need some detailing but I like the general vibe I'm getting so far.

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2013, 04:34:06 AM »

wow, those shots have a super strong mood to them. I really like it. There is one thing - look, you spend so much effort on your pixelart, you should really try to export those images in a proper format and correct scale to not get all wishy washy resolution fuckups that destroys your pixels.
Please.
Do it for the pixels.

Gentleman

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2013, 07:44:14 AM »

Did you change the main character's look and not tell us? If so, I like the new look.

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »

Working on redoing the player's animation controller... There are some issues with jumping...

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2013, 06:26:44 PM »

Screenshot Saturday Update! I'll be working towards implementing some actual levels today (rather than showing you guys the same areas over and over).

Familiar looking area, you can see the new distant background (just barely) here.

The notes menu is basically done now, more on that later though.

You can see the new parallaxing, distant background in effect here. It's a rough graphic but I feel like it really adds a lot of depth to the scenes. Ignore the floating pixels near the big block...

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2013, 12:36:54 AM »

Looks good!!

BTW: Did you type the 'Fresh Prince' note from memory? Wink
lobstersteve
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2013, 03:10:52 PM »

This looks like it could create a really strong mood, with it's dark atmosphere, lightining effects, slow pacing etc.  Coffee
vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2013, 11:32:10 PM »

BTW: Did you type the 'Fresh Prince' note from memory? Wink

I actually am the Fresh Prince so I just had to think back to what happened.

This looks like it could create a really strong mood, with it's dark atmosphere, lightining effects, slow pacing etc.  Coffee

Cheers!  Durr...? Toast Right

I've been working on getting some sound in (and converting some sketches into actual levels (!!!)) over the past few days. It's crazy the difference it makes, I've made up some simple components for easy atmospheric sounds that respond to your position etc. for panning and volume.

It's hard work getting good sound effects, I'm not in the position to be able to record my own so I've been browsing the Free Sound Archive and mixing / editing sounds to get what I want. We might be able to share some video to demonstrate the sound soon.

Here's an image from a room I added today:

And for those who care about this sort of thing, we're up to 8395 lines of code. Which is terrifying / kinda cool.

vivavolt
Level 2

butts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2013, 05:12:25 PM »

Hey guys, just a couple more screenshots for Saturday (here in Australia anyway).

Not much to see since it's been mostly sound work, and battling with AIR SDKs...

Anyway, have a great weekend!  Toast Left Evil Toast Right

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »

Great work with the atmosphere in the game. The contrast between the red-lit areas and the green-lit areas is very nice.

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »

Hello everyone! Long time no see! Its good to be back in civilisation, with internet and air-conditioning...

A lot of the stuff we are doing at the moment is behind-the-scenesy, catching up the off-screen game to the on-screen. Today I spent a good few hours doing some more advanced character work, so hopefully the characters in the game don't appear 2D. It is tricky - I don't have a lot of experience in writing or serious and complex story-telling so we'll see how it goes.  Coffee

I am working on two characters who are in many ways opposites, and the corresponding parts of the game where they are introduced. Designing the areas is fairly easy, based on earlier work (thanks Past Me!). The tricky part is conveying the characters adequately and accurately without a whole bunch of boring dialogue or driving Ben to suicide when he has to animate it. Mostly, I am resorting to alternating magic and crying  Wizard

More screenshots are coming in the next few days as the second area comes to life, and the first is populated with levels! Hand Metal Left No No NO Hand Metal Right

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2013, 12:43:08 AM »

Hello again everyone! Things are going swimmingly! The game now has "words" in it, which can be used by "characters" in "dialogue".

Observe:

In addition to dialogue, the game will also have a story, part of which involves this image:

And that's what's happening here this week!  Beer!

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »

I read this in Ice King's voice  Grin

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2013, 08:42:44 PM »

Great vibe, and gotta love all those silly gifs.

maks me sad I didn't see this earlier

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »

I read this in Ice King's voice  Grin

That's what we were going for!

Great vibe, and gotta love all those silly gifs.

Thank you! The internet is a marvelous place; we found a dialogue generator that would spit out sections of Adventure Time JUST when the dialogue was working! Coincidence? I think not!

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »

Merry Christmas Everyone!

We'll be down for a while, but we'll have new stuff for you in the New Year! Stay safe, and have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!

iammonshushu
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2014, 08:25:56 PM »

Hello again! I hope everyone had a very enjoyable break! It's about a million degrees in Australia today, so we have been holed up in the aircon making cutscenes!

Here's a sneak peek:

More to come soon, but we have about six half-done things instead of actually finishing any of them Big Laff

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2014, 08:55:50 PM »

Looks great! I do wish the image was of slightly higher resolution though. I wanted to zoom in and look at all the glorious details.

Also, kind of envious of your warm weather in Australia. This is what's expected next week here in Chicago: http://i.imgur.com/mlCEpY6.jpg

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2014, 09:10:24 AM »

It's about a million degrees in Australia today
and in the meantime here in the north we're freezing to death :<

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic