Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:17:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Trailer (trash) Talking
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Trailer (trash) Talking  (Read 11405 times)
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« on: February 19, 2007, 08:04:22 AM »

This topic's obviously inspired by the new Aquaria Trailer, that looks freaking great.  I was busy last month cutting together a trailer myself for... business purposes.  It turned out surprisingly more difficult that I had have hoped, but I found a rather unique way of pulling it together.  I'd love to know what "The A Team" used to pull yours together, as well as anybody else.

To get things started, a bit of background on what I ended up doing.

Obviously, the secret weapon Fraps.  Trying to nab constant 60fps footage was do-able, but proved tricky, due to my hard drives not being the most defragged.  I don't know how many takes later, I ended up with nearly an hour of game footage, that was cut down to a 4 minute presentation.

Then I found myself in Virtual Dub, non destructively clipping my clips down to size.

Did my usual thang in Audition, recording a nice, friendly, albeit rushed narrative for the presentation.

But then came the real trouble.  Assembling.

Just about every app I tried had some huge problem.  Avid, Premier, MS Movie Maker, T@B Zweistein, and a list of open source ones.  If it wasn't resolution limits, it was framerate caps, inability to read my files, etc.

In the end, I found a lovely, relatively unrestricted shareware program called, can you believe it, "Video Edit Magic"!  And it was.  Relatively stable (I didn't lose anything the 1 time it crashed).  Simple.  And only $60.  It was well worth it, certainly saving my butt.

Anyone else?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:07:19 AM by PoV » Logged

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 08:09:20 AM »

Oo... For the latest trailer, I wrote some input recording code, recorded some moves and then had the code play back the input while dumping out screenshots on a set 1/60 second update interval. That way I could get perfect 60fps video capture at any resolution, without having to worry about the game slowing down / looking jerky.

The downside was that things didn't always play back exactly the same, as the creatures don't always act the same way. Wink
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:11:46 AM by Alec » Logged

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 08:15:13 AM »

The downside was that things didn't always play back exactly the same, as the creatures don't always act the same way. Wink
Write down the systems randseed then ;].

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 08:19:18 AM »

Its more than the randseed. Smiley The starting conditions weren't guaranteed to be the same. I could have worked at that, but it was actually kinda fun to see how things played back differently each time, and sometimes it turned out better than the original. Wink

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 08:22:47 AM »

Its more than the randseed. Smiley The starting conditions weren't guaranteed to be the same. I could have worked at that, but it was actually kinda fun to see how things played back differently each time, and sometimes it turned out better than the original. Wink
I did a replay system for my games, it saved the randseed and keystrokes, prooved real fun, and the replays were realy small. It would be a heck lot harder for a realtime game tough. I guess I'd be saving the event queue aditionally then -- and plan ahead to make that sufficient for a fully complete and accurate replay.

At your service,
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 08:28:50 AM »

I really wanted to focus on cutting the trailer, and not on messing with the code. I basically created a list of input states with time stamps. That didn't work for me. Eventually what got me smooth results was recording input state and player position/rotation while recording at 1/60 second updates. That way nothing could go wrong. Tongue

So basically its a total hack, but it did what I wanted it to. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:32:45 AM by Alec » Logged

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 08:41:57 AM »

Ahh, hacks.  The magic that ships games. Grin

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 08:45:33 AM »

Oo... For the latest trailer, I wrote some input recording code, recorded some moves and then had the code play back the input while dumping out screenshots on a set 1/60 second update interval. That way I could get perfect 60fps video capture at any resolution, without having to worry about the game slowing down / looking jerky.

Ooh! New trailer! Woo!

But on topic, this is the same system I'd use because my engine is completely deterministic so I can get the same playback (which has been a Godsend for tracking down rare bugs as it poops out the recorded input when stuff goes tits-up in a predictable manner).

As for the editing, I've had no experience of that but I shall look into that Video Magic thing. Smiley

I'm amazed at how a well constructed trailer can sell me on a game. I bought Gish off the back of its trailer alone, without having played the game.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:00:15 AM »

I'm amazed at how a well constructed trailer can sell me on a game. I bought Gish off the back of its trailer alone, without having played the game.

I did the same thing.  Them crafty fellows didn't release the demo soon enough, I had to play it NOW! Grin

Alec: What other tools did you guys use, say, to edit it together, or to compile the image files in to a video file?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 09:01:54 AM by PoV » Logged

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 09:06:38 AM »

Premiere 6.5 for editing, compositing. Use a lot of raw AVIs...

VirtualDub for converting files (man, I love VD)

Currently the files involved in making the trailer are taking up 47GB!

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 09:08:12 AM »

(man, I love VD)

I need say nothing more. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 09:19:34 AM »

Yes... hush. Don't say a word. Just come over here big boy....

There! Now you have your own copy of VD.

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 09:49:23 AM »

Yes... hush. Don't say a word. Just come over here big boy....

There! Now you have your own copy of VD.

Yay!

scratches

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »

Alec!  Derek!  Dudes!

The trailer is beautiful.  Tell your bandwidth I said sorry, by the way.  After watching through the 640x480 trailer a bunch of times, I decided I needed to see the high res version also.  Tongue

I'm (still) super excited about the game.  It looks wondrous.  Smiley

EDIT:  Another thing.  I almost want to move this thread to Developer -> Technical (or maybe Business) on account of all the useful trailer-cutting knowledge.

But perhaps a dedicated thread would be better ::hint hint::.  Wink
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 10:01:49 AM by BMcC » Logged

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 11:19:47 AM »

If you can afford it, just the Digital Video bundle from Adobe. It's an investment, yes, but you get every possible tool you could need to not only build your trailer, but also make art assets for your games/website/marketing.

The first route of course would be to do it all in Premiere. It has everything you need for cutting a movie. Now if you're up to it, cut the whole thing in After Effects. You don't get realtime audio scrubbing (kinda)like Premiere but AE is infinitely more powerful in terms of titling, compositing, effects, etc. If you learn AE well enough you might find yourself never touching Premiere again.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 11:21:55 AM »

Premiere can be pretty buggy and slow. I'm going to take a look at Blender's video editing side when I get the chance. fingers crossed

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 12:48:38 PM »

Adobe FTW. IMHO, up to date, all it's software is unbeatable in it's field, from Photoshop to After Effects(*). Too bad it's so expensive :/

(*) And I used a lot of them, including Illustrator, InDesign and Premiere...

At your service,
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 05:30:40 PM »

Through trial and error, I finally figured out the best way to handle this.

Fraps -> VirtualDub -> iMovie

It uses up a hell of a lot of disk space, but it's worth it -- iMovie handles it quite adequately. The only real problem is sitting there and filming enough of it to cut a proper trailer. I wonder how hard it'd be to write an MPEG recorder for my game.

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 03:20:34 AM »

I think anybody around here should be able to appreciate this.

Rampart

A beautiful example of game trailer overkill.

torncanvas
Level 0

Go Team Venture!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 09:34:31 AM »

Hahaha, that is so METAL.

Intuition Games
@torncanvas on twitter
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic