Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:10:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOctoRhythm - Leap Motion Casual Rhythm Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: OctoRhythm - Leap Motion Casual Rhythm Game  (Read 3152 times)
Yanko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »

Name: OctoRhythm
Team: me + 1 musician (Leonardo Perantoni)
Platforms: PC and Mac (needs a Leap Motion Controller)

- Store link
- Soundtrack

Introduction

Hey everyone! I've been a lurker for quite a while, but as I'm in the middle of developing a new game for the past month or so, I thought it'd be a good way to start posting!

So, my name is Yanko and I'm an Indie dev hailing from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. I'm currently working on a game for the Leap Motion (http://leapmotion.com). For those who don't know, it's a device that is about to be released that is basically a "kinect for hands" - it works incredibly well and their developer support is great - I got my dev unit for free and they're constantly giving me feedback.

OctoRhythm

So, I wanted to start a demo project that would be easy to do. Obviously, the first game I thought about was Rock-Paper-Scissors, but that just wouldn't stick for too long. So I ended up having this idea of a weird mix of Simon Says, Jo-Kem-Po and rhythm game. In the first day, this is what i had:

The gameplay worked like this: the computer would show you a sequence of symbols. You had to memorize them, and then do them again with your hands to the beat. If you got everything right, a new symbol was added; if you got 1 or more wrong, you'd lose a symbol. If you got to 0 symbols, you lost.

The next day, it evolved to this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuZk7rJ-3GI
Then this:

I posted that on the Leap developer boards and got an email from Adam, who's the awesome dev relations guy on Leap Motion, and we talked about testing a rhythm-only gameplay (meaning, you wouldn't have to memorize the symbols). This was the first publicly released video of that gameplay mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP4CKGd9MPo

After a ton of tweaks and suggestions, I ended up separating the memory and non memory related gameplays. Now, instead of getting the symbols shown to you and then shown again on non-memory mode, you have this constant stream that flows to the beat, and you must repeat it. So here's the video I just recorded:

The symbols flow in from the left, and you have to match them. I've also included 2 handed symbols to add a bit of diversity - it's kinda hard having symbols that are both common to people and easy for the device to recognize.

The Plan

I plan to release this along with the Leap in may, so I'm starting to intensify the work on the game. As of now, my idea is having 4 modes:

a) Rhythm, which you just saw in the video
b) Rock-Paper-Scissors: the same as rhythm, but you have to display the symbol that would win the computer in an RPS match
c) Memory: the old memory sequence mode
d) Memory + RPS: memorizing and displaying the opposite sequence.

The player would select the gameplay mode, then be taken to this "level selection" screen, where he would have to play the easier levels to unlock the harder ones, and the other gameplay modes. The difficulty would be set by the BPM of the song, and by the chance of getting 2 handed symbols.

I wanted to keep it relatively casual, which would also allow me to use the remaning time I have tweaking the look and feel and juicing it up, instead of making a more complex game with less polish. But I'm looking for suggestions, especially for things to spice up the gameplay without getting too far from it's simple roots.

So that's about it. Thanks for reading this far and if you have any comments/suggestions/criticism, shoot away!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:48:53 PM by Yanko » Logged
Yanko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »

Hey there!

So, I've been working on this weird menu concept that I thought of. Basically, you're in this pod, inside an almost empty room. There you can select one of the game modes. When you do that, the pod rotates to show you another part of the room, where the level select screen is. After you select a level, a screen rotates from behind your seat, and "transports" you to the game (it's something like "the game is being projected on the screen, but all your focus is in it, so you get it full screen").

Here's a quick animated gif of what the sketch of it looks like:
Yanko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46:37 AM »

I uploaded a video of Leo, the composer (which is one of those top notch SFIV players that can do those 1 frame combos), playing hardcore mode at 200BPM. I actually thought it wouldn't be possible, but aparently, I was wrong  Cheesy

Yanko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:36:02 AM »

Long time no blog! All of the planned songs for v1.0 are finished, and I'm doing different levels for each. It also has a new scoring system, that gives you a star based score: 1 star for completing the level, the 2nd if you hit 80% or more and the 3rd if you get to the 32-straight-right-symbols-streak.

I'm trying to rush the new levels to send out some demos to other leap developers - not having a way to send ANYONE a demo (because it needs a Leap to run) is harsh.

The truth is: I'm just pushing the completeness to 50% because the game now features an alpaca.

Yanko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 07:46:17 AM »

I've uploaded a teaser for the game
(image leads to youtube)
Yanko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »

Hey everyone, the game is finally up on Airspace, Leap Motion's store.

If any of you has a Leap Motion Controller and wants to check it out: OctoRhythm on Airspace

If not, you can still check out the Soundtrack!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic