Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:50:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioI'm a Musician but a Newb Coder using Game Maker. Need Help!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I'm a Musician but a Newb Coder using Game Maker. Need Help!  (Read 1418 times)
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »

Hopefully this is the right place to ask... anyways!

My gear music-wise: Audiobox USB, and microKORG synth/vox.
For coding: I've got Game Maker Standard Edition(the newest version)

I know how to jam, and lay down tracks, and followed the manual  and have tried placing wav files for normal sounds. these do not seem to function however.. The file is good, it plays in the preview when I load a new sound into the game. But when I use either the sound DnD, or the audio_play_sound(index, priority, loop) function in several places where it should work. all attempts so far has failed to produce sounds. I've also run normally, debugged, and as a clean build.

I've read in several posts that the method built-in to GM is junk(though this may be in reference to older releases far as I can tell), so any advice on how to code some music and sounds into Game Maker would be great.

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:24:01 PM »

update: on further attempts, the wav file I made, although it plays in the preview when loading the sound, will not play in game. However, I've tried using the sound assets that came with GM in place and it works. So not sure why but the wav file I'm using won't work. I can't find any restrictions on it. Is there maybe a conversion tool?

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:26:41 PM »

I'm sorry aberrantmind, I don't use Game Maker and don't know how to use it. Perhaps someone here knows a bit of it...?

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »

ah well, I did manage to find this thing after a gajillion googles

http://www.drpetter.se/project_sfxr.html

it works good enough for now. hopefully I'll figure out eventually why the wave files I made won't work. I've got the bitrate matched and everything, ah well...

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:44:22 PM »

See ya until you have finished your game and want to promote it...  Smiley

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »

Have you tried other file types?

medieval
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »

The people in this subforum are mostly musicians/audio people who, if they're anything like me, don't really know much about game programming. I doubt you'll find your answer here, but if I were you I'd try and see if posting in the Technical section will help.
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »

thanks, next time I try it out I'll post there if I can't figure it out.

when i convert to mp3 it works alright so at least i can make some background music. using the bleepbloopblop sfx as place holder sounds works for now too.

chris_b
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 04:04:42 AM »

Make sure your .WAV files are 16-bit and not 32-bit audio. Also ensure that you're saving them as uncompressed PCM and not compressed ACM format.
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »

For Gamemaker questions you are really better off visiting yoyogames forums. :p

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »

Make sure your .WAV files are 16-bit and not 32-bit audio. Also ensure that you're saving them as uncompressed PCM and not compressed ACM format.
Cool thanks! I'll try this the next time I set up the keys.

For Gamemaker questions you are really better off visiting yoyogames forums. :p
I was under the impression that the yoyo forums are mostly kids and teens. This community seemed more experienced with making games.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic