Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:22:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesfemfreq tropes vs women is out
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: femfreq tropes vs women is out  (Read 10870 times)
AshfordPride
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2013, 03:53:50 PM »

i didnt say it doesn't hurt men, in fact i believe masculine stereotypes are harmful.

mrm slime

KILL ALL MEN

@schoq - i don't think she's fake, just not an obsessive nes player; most male gamers on this forum also wouldn't know the examples i used either, due to being too young or for other reasons (maybe they had a genesis instead)

As much as I'd like to call her knowledge into question, this does kind of seem like a classic example of the very harmful No True Scottsman trope.
feminazi
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »

@allen
edit: fuck it i'm out. see you when the next video is out
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2013, 03:59:27 PM »

there are a lot of ways to read early games as negative to men, sure. one big one is that the villains are usually male. why is it that evil is almost always portrayed as male? there are a couple of female villains (mother brain, notably -- although she's a brain rather than an actual human female), but the vast majority of evil villains are male. isn't this sort of implying that males are the cause of conflict and evil in the world?

still, the video wasn't about those things, the video series is about negative portrayals of females in games. that's what she got the funding for. she didn't get funding for 'how people are portrayed negatively in games', she got funding for 'how females are portrayed negatively in games'. if you want to see a video series on how males are being portrayed negatively in games you can set up a kickstarter for it

AshfordPride
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2013, 04:00:03 PM »

Accusing you of being unintelligent is like accusing water of being wet.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2013, 04:00:23 PM »

the good guys shoot blue laser guns and the bad guys shoot red laser guns
feminazi
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »

Accusing you of being unintelligent is like accusing water of being wet.

oh, talking to you is liek talking to a wall
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »

i think this comes originally from star wars, where the good jedi had blue light sabers and the bad guys had red light sabers

poe
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2013, 04:04:01 PM »

Joe you have blue hair and a red shirt, what are you?
deathtotheweird
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2013, 04:06:38 PM »

still, the video wasn't about those things, the video series is about negative portrayals of females in games. that's what she got the funding for. she didn't get funding for 'how people are portrayed negatively in games', she got funding for 'how females are portrayed negatively in games'. if you want to see a video series on how males are being portrayed negatively in games you can set up a kickstarter for it

that doesn't address their argument though, you're just basically ignoring their view-point because "her video isnt about those issues".

ignoring them seems disingenuous, the aim of her videos is to create a dialog. you can't have dialog if you refuse to listen to what other people are saying.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2013, 04:08:57 PM »

Joe you have blue hair and a red shirt, what are you?
they're both purple
AshfordPride
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »

oh, talking to you is liek talking to a wall

A wall of text, perhaps.

Ha.

Ha.

HA.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »

@allen - i don't think the aim of her video is to create a dialog; i suspect the actual the aim of her is to have a video series for game developers to watch so that they can avoid offensive things. any game dev that watches it will now think twice about having a save the princess thing in their game (which to be fair games have largely given up long ago, although it still pops up occasionally)

deathtotheweird
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »

direct quote from her kickstarter:

Help me create another successful video series that will contribute to and help amplify the existing conversations happening about female characters in games and maybe even get the attention of the gaming industry to start creating more interesting, engaging and complex female characters, that avoid the standard boring cliches.
poe
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »

Personally I just can't wait until she talks about Duke Nukem Forever
feminazi
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »

no one is ignoring their viewpoint. i don't know how you're arguing that, it's disingenuous.
AshfordPride
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »

i suspect the actual the aim of her is to have a video series for game developers to watch so that they can avoid offensive things.

Maybe art should offend people.

On account of it being art and all.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2013, 04:15:17 PM »

@allen - still, stated goal isn't the same as actual goal. i view "encourage discussion" as just a general abstract thing that everyone says about what they do, it's hard to disagree with someone if they just want to encourage discussion. but that quote also mentions that she wants the game industry to take notice of her videos, and that's what i think the real goal is -- to get game devs who aren't familiar with these things familiar with them. and judging from this thread there are a few people who weren't familiar with how pervasive the damsel in distress thing is, so, i think that if it prevents even one game from using a damsel in distress thing in favor of using something more creative, that's a job well done

AshfordPride
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2013, 04:17:02 PM »

Actually, you might be in for some dissapointment, because I can already tell you what she's going to say.  See, I wanted to see if I could tell how she'd feel about ironic sexism, like what I said about Double Dragon Neon, and surprise surprise

feminazi
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »

Actually, you might be in for some dissapointment, because I can already tell you what she's going to say.  See, I wanted to see if I could tell how she'd feel about ironic sexism, like what I said about Double Dragon Neon, and surprise surprise

what if she does understand irony and just doesn't find it funny?  Roll Eyes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2013, 04:24:23 PM »

the humor in DNF is pretty lame regardless (as is the whole game btw)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic