Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:20:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGenericopolis - Guns n' Gangs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Genericopolis - Guns n' Gangs  (Read 1126 times)
WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2013, 03:27:59 AM »

An old project I resurrected so I don't get bored with my other game (taking a break). An action-RPG mashed with GTA. I will update this with new features soon.

So far there really isn't much of a story going on besides the fact that you are a person who dropped out of high school, couldn't get a job and had to resort to crime, yada yada yada (it's just for context).

Large world to explore filled with crime to be done, collectables to be found and activities (gambling, driving, drinking, etc.) to try. Enjoy the random weather and day/night systems. Many objects are completely destructible so go on a statue or stop sign-destroying spree. Look out for secrets, references to the engine community's jokes and other games and media. Detail is everywhere. Choose from a number of houses to buy and buy new furniture for them. There is also a good variety of vehicles with different properties (speed, acceleration) to drive around.

Play as both a man or a woman - For the first time ever, be a gangster girl, with a few different perks and changes to the world.

Mouse control! - Aim, turn your character, switch weapons and shoot with the mouse.

Character customization - Change clothes, hair, pants, race, gender, name, etc.

Leveling system with perks! - Pretty much everything you do gets you XP, which will enable you to grow your abilities as well as every 2 levels, select perks. You are given 2 to choose from which gives you bonuses (similar to Fallout's system). I'm taking an RPG approach to this to make it a little different.

Loot - GTA needs more loot! MOAR LOOT! Lots of weapon and item variation (anything from painkillers to books) to keep things interesting.

Crafting system - Not finalized, but I am thinking of putting up some crafting benches around in certain places and you can collect/buy parts to improve weapons and armor, as well as repair them as gear breaks over time.

Join a gang - Choose from 3 wacky, themed gangs and help support yours and rise up the ranks to where you run the city or go it alone.

Drug dealing mini-game?
- May not happen but I was thinking of having some underground dealers crowded in alleyways scattered around that you can deal with to try and make some money.

Unique wanted system - A simpler wanted system involving "crime points". Watch out for the police. And if you are bad enough, watch out for the SWAT or the army. Also, Super Guy (a reference to my story) and a few other super do-gooders may be patrolling the streets...

Full sound - Already implemented, sound for every weapon, every vehicle, etc. as well as a good chunk of rock music as a soundtrack.

I will simply try to make a good game, hoping it will be the best GTA clone you guys have every played here. KEEP IN MIND THAT SINCE THIS HAS DARK, VIOLENT AND CRIMINAL ACTIVITIES INVOLVED (ALONG WITH OTHER MATURE THEMES) THIS IS FOR MATURE GAMERS ONLY! What do you think?
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:14:23 AM »

Now that's what I call ambitious.
One advise - be perfectly sure about what makes up the core of your game, and tackle that first

WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 11:21:50 AM »

I am quite far on my way already and I am 100% sure it is do-able, so the ambition doesn't scare me too much.

The forums weren't letting me post any screenshots in the OP so I will put them here.

I have this odd feeling I need to box in the HP bar and make it smaller. xD

WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 02:01:18 AM »

Progress has been pretty quiet on Survival of the Fittest but Genericopolis - Guns n’ Gangs is coming along well. March Break is always good for productivity here.

I’ve done a lot of the scripting, the day/night cycle, some of the city and finished most of the music system. Of course, a lot of it was done already since the game was well on its way and backed up before the computer messed up.

The achievements system is on the way and a lot of the city will be finished in the coming weeks. I am starting work on a stats screen (every sandbox game needs one!) so you know how many people you’ve trolled or hurt. Also, I wish to fix some of the bugs and slowdown.

I figured out the error. The error is “Out of Memory” where the computer has run out of virtual memory and/or RAM and so I can’t save the projects. I seem to get it all the time now, but at least I know what is going on.

Cheers!

Enjoy this new screenie, minus the HUD that could use some work.

WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 02:14:08 AM »

Things have been slow this week on both games while on worked with a beta tester of the engine to try and fix some bugs and performance issues that make the game(s) unplayable. Unfortunately, we aren’t at that point yet. So far I’ve had to tighten up the code and break up the maps which were originally designed to be seamless, but it shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

The stat screen for Genericopolis is done and I have also worked on the HUD and fixed it up a bit.

For those wondering where the actual dinosaurs are in Survival of the Fittest, I worked for a guy on his game and asked for dino sprites in return so hopefully he will finish them at some point. It has been a month.

Cheers! Sorry the screenshot looks fuzzy.

WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 02:09:06 AM »

This project is cancelled due to technical issues.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic