Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 08:08:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)GIFs of games being worked on
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 297
Print
Author Topic: GIFs of games being worked on  (Read 1206646 times)
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1840 on: April 09, 2014, 03:19:34 AM »

golemshaper, the game looks so good. But the comic text. It looks so bad. It doesn't mesh. I'll be back with better crits when I know why. Well, for one, the polygonal look and round text don't work well together. Also the text is so small while everything else is big color chunks. And the italicness doesn't really.. do it.

I'm being silly critical cause I have only stomach feel right now and I can't go more in depth right now. I will when/if I figure it out.

Right now though, GORGEOUS GAME, I feel humbled, jealous and excited. BUT THE TEXT. I DON'T LIKE IT.

BUT THE GRAPHICS. I LIKE THEM
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1841 on: April 09, 2014, 03:44:54 AM »

Thanks!! Could you suggest some fonts!?
 Cool

Check out Two Brothers on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AckkStudios
And check out the DevLog here.
Saturator
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: April 09, 2014, 06:36:19 AM »

The day Satan took over physics & rendering

Awesome. How did you make that?
GentlestOfGentlemen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: April 09, 2014, 06:41:48 AM »

Wish I was there

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1844 on: April 09, 2014, 08:33:59 AM »

@golemshaper - Really nice-looking game, seriously! Do you have a devlog yet? As for the font, it's a bit small to see and really critique effectively, but I like the Quicksand font for its solidity and smoothness. I believe it's free for commercial use. If you wanted a pixelly font, or perhaps one that kinda "feels" like Earthbound (which I think your game has some influences from), Prospero reminds me of a font from Earthbound a bit.

Blink
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1845 on: April 09, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »

I like Prospero, that's a good suggestion.

golem: Kotaku did a small article a while back on fonts in RPGs (and when I say little, I mean little - it really doesn't give solutions or go into details, but worth a read). If you want that child-like feel, but with something less stylized (so it stands out less) you might want to aim for a middle ground like Poetsen. Personally, I'm always a fan of Haettenschweiler, but it may be too close to Impact for this project. If you want something less stylized with smooth edges, Calibri looks good (like a calmer version of the almost right Charcoal CY).

Good luck!
Pinqu!
Level 1

So it has come to this

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1846 on: April 09, 2014, 10:46:57 AM »

Added a arcade mode to Space Bastards Ninja

siskavard
« Reply #1847 on: April 09, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: April 10, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »

that's one beefy taco

I spent pretty much my entire evening/6ish hours making a battle system but it's functional now! Next step is getting skills and items working @_@
[To answer any possible questions, you get two actions, Left Arm and Right Arm, hence why it's like "Arm used Attack".]
LightEnt
Level 1

Power to the action-platformer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1849 on: April 10, 2014, 01:15:11 AM »

Kapoof! Playing with fire effects and such.

I'm a fan of simple magics evolving into rapidfire nukes. 

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1850 on: April 10, 2014, 02:26:38 AM »

I think that looks really nice, but I think you could get a better result tweening the animation instead of using frames. Keep all the frame data you have, and tween the motions when you don't need to change the sprite.

For example, her arm when she raises it to shoot. If you had that smoothly tweening into position it would look nicer without sacrificing the charm of the pixel art. The running animation too -- would look amazingly better if the legs were chopped at the knees and animated in two parts.

Using this technique you might find you need many fewer frames and get a better result. I think this is also called 2D skeletal animation.

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1851 on: April 10, 2014, 02:59:08 AM »

just add more frames <- traditionalist
LordBistian
Level 0

Dat bro.

View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: April 10, 2014, 05:01:02 AM »

Not sure where I'm going with this. Big Laff

LightEnt
Level 1

Power to the action-platformer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1853 on: April 10, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »

I think that looks really nice, but I think you could get a better result tweening the animation instead of using frames. Keep all the frame data you have, and tween the motions when you don't need to change the sprite.

For example, her arm when she raises it to shoot. If you had that smoothly tweening into position it would look nicer without sacrificing the charm of the pixel art. The running animation too -- would look amazingly better if the legs were chopped at the knees and animated in two parts.

Using this technique you might find you need many fewer frames and get a better result. I think this is also called 2D skeletal animation.

That's an interesting idea. The pink energy sword she uses is a result of a similar technique because she acquires different weapons, and every attempt i've had make them look natural has sort of failed. Her motion stays the same, but I manually animate the sword and slashes for each weapon.

As for running and shooting though, i've got some transitionals to add (starting/stopping, turning, ect), and each magic type has its own channel/casting animation.

just add more frames <- traditionalist

^ Yeah, basically.  Shrug

But thanks, i'll keep that in mind. I've never given tweening any real thought for anything other than bosses.

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1854 on: April 10, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »

yaomon17
Level 1

https://twitter.com/YaomonKS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1855 on: April 10, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »

Cool! Where does it lead to?

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1856 on: April 10, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »

Cool! Where does it lead to?
It's used as a door between any room. It floats like that until the player gets near, then it assembles.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1857 on: April 10, 2014, 10:18:05 PM »

marquet
Level 0

Time to make a game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1858 on: April 10, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »

EvilDingo
Level 1