Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:10:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)GIFs of games being worked on
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 297
Print
Author Topic: GIFs of games being worked on  (Read 1206972 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3160 on: December 10, 2014, 02:13:58 PM »

SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3161 on: December 11, 2014, 07:59:44 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll definitely make the darkest shade darker, it'll help a bunch as things start moving fast. As for the candle, while I agree that looks totally awesome, I can't break my 4 colour GameBoy palette rule for this game (though I think it would totally work for a sequel or something).

That red/orange on the mute blue really pops out, looks amazing. Damn my silly rules :D

Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3162 on: December 11, 2014, 12:23:14 PM »

one other note - your character is mostly grays, and thus doesn't stand out from the mostly-gray background. you also have lots of white in the middleground rocks which gives them a lot of contrast and makes them look solid. If you look at Canabalt, the player is the highest contrast thing on the screen. (Go play Canabalt, it's free, and it's another endless runner that's grayscale so pay close attention to the art!)

lame joe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: December 11, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »

Hey SeanNoonan,

Just as a fun pixel art challenge for myself I tried to make a torch that would give more visual feedback on whether it was out or not while still only using your four colours (hope you don't mind):

I am not king of pixel art town but this is probably how I would do it (tho I'm not 100% on my white outline hmmm it's a cheap fix usually) - adding orange and stuff would be an easy fix but I think it's more about the form of your sprite and like Azure said the contrast and things.
RareSloth
Level 0

making apps and taking naps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3164 on: December 11, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »

Our hero run animation from our first game - Yukon Warrior

Our mobile games: Yukon Warrior | Furdemption | King Rabbit
RareSloth
Level 0

making apps and taking naps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3165 on: December 11, 2014, 03:45:51 PM »

That rabbit is really hypnotising  Addicted

Meanwhile, testing out the rocket launcher arm. Shocked

Thanks!!

Our mobile games: Yukon Warrior | Furdemption | King Rabbit
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: December 11, 2014, 06:01:18 PM »

we need more yukon warrior in game ... especially bear disguise as man

SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3167 on: December 12, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »

Hey SeanNoonan,

Just as a fun pixel art challenge for myself I tried to make a torch that would give more visual feedback on whether it was out or not while still only using your four colours (hope you don't mind):

I am not king of pixel art town but this is probably how I would do it (tho I'm not 100% on my white outline hmmm it's a cheap fix usually) - adding orange and stuff would be an easy fix but I think it's more about the form of your sprite and like Azure said the contrast and things.
Wow, thanks for the feedback! You're totally right - I was really being lazy having the candle light behind the lantern, and I really like the tweaks you made.

I have been trying to avoid white outlines in my game, but I really feel you've convinced me to go with them - especially around the interactables (i.e. the piles of snow and lanterns).

Seriously, thanks for the feedback. This is my first real attempt at pixel art, so I'm all ears (eyes) :D

SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3168 on: December 12, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »

So yeah, after the feedback, looking something like this:

Darker lines, animation speed changes, new lantern effect, lantern asset tweaks.

Still got a few more tweaks to do, but I think I'm cutting it fine with Apple as it is...

Thanks again! Smiley

JWK5
« Reply #3169 on: December 13, 2014, 05:35:24 AM »

Looking much better. You could probably improve things further by adding a debris effect when the lantern is broke (i.e. glass, lantern pieces, and candle chunks fly outward from the broken lantern). I see that you have a little effect in place there, but it is not dark enough and it does not move outward enough to really see it well when the screen is moving like that.

You could go one step further (and go all Castlevania-like) and have the upper portion of the lantern actually break off into debris. This would not only be more obvious and give better visual feedback, but give the hit more "crunch".

It's at least worth a try, I think.
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3170 on: December 13, 2014, 05:44:25 AM »

My biggest problem with the character is how the animation speed of the walk cycle is so slow compared to how fast the background is scrolling. Snow isn't made of butter.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3171 on: December 13, 2014, 01:09:50 PM »

Working on a Mega Man thing for one game a month.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3172 on: December 13, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »

Cool death animation. How are you doing it?

SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3173 on: December 13, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »

You could go one step further (and go all Castlevania-like) and have the upper portion of the lantern actually break off into debris. This would not only be more obvious and give better visual feedback, but give the hit more "crunch".
Yeah, it's crossed my mind - might do an art pass across the game once I've got the last two levels done.

My biggest problem with the character is how the animation speed of the walk cycle is so slow compared to how fast the background is scrolling. Snow isn't made of butter.
The animation speed changes based on the movement speed - the faster the player moves, the faster the animation. Maybe this slow speed doesn't look right? Not sure what "Snow isn't made of butter" means, explain :D?

stilghar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3174 on: December 13, 2014, 03:38:01 PM »

Capture of the dual screen switching mechanic in our game Dimension Drive.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3175 on: December 13, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »

It looks like he's sliding on the snow instead of walking on it. The character looks very floaty.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3176 on: December 13, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »

Maybe that whole discussion could be solved by just making the character literally slide. I mean, it's a frozen floor after all, so it fits =P
eliasdaler
« Reply #3177 on: December 14, 2014, 01:45:04 AM »

Fighting some bad guys.
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: December 14, 2014, 03:46:08 AM »

@eliasdaler I think adding an animation indicating the enemy got hit could improve your combat. You know, like a small blood splash or sparks or just the enemy flashing white. This kind of thing. Anyway nice, keep it up Hand Thumbs Up Right

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3179 on: December 14, 2014, 05:49:17 AM »

I'd say the enemy flashing red would be a better choice. White is usually used for invulnerability.
As for the graphics, everything appears to be pillow shaded. Those statues for example should be paying attention to the light source of the candle.
Right now the candles appear to have almost no effect. Lighting is very important for atmosphere.

Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 297
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic