Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:24:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)GIFs of games being worked on
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 297
Print
Author Topic: GIFs of games being worked on  (Read 1204647 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5200 on: July 16, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »

Play the game here!

Game developed for the GMTKJam this weekend. Hope you enjoy.

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: July 16, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »

Started playing around with GM Studio 2 and seeing what I can do with tile layers, since their tile/room editor is no longer garbage.

This tileset is old, I've probably posted it here before, but it allowed me to try applying parallax and depth of field effects beyond just scrolling background images.

(click for smoother/bigger)

I start with something like this, then I just add tiles to background layers. Like this:
http://dronecloud.org/game/parallax_dof.jpg

Then in my rendering control object. I draw each layer individually and apply a blur shader to them. I also draw a semi translucent color between the foreground and background(s) acting as fog. I'm also toggling a color curve mapping/dither shader on and off.

The parallax movement is achieved by scaling/shrinking the background layers after they've been drawn to a surface, rather than scrolling them at different speeds! This was necessary for what I had in mind, avoiding common the scrolling parallax style.

Pretty good for a test. Bet I could do something interesting with animated objects in the background and stuff!

I've been obsessing about Hollow Knight lately, so that's been an influence. Except they use Unity.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5202 on: July 17, 2017, 11:18:48 AM »

A coin of unknown stamping, found in the lower tombs:

~

@absolute8: I rather like that approach to lighting: pixelly, convincing, and atmospheric, I find. ^_^

The only thing that I don't like is what seems to be a large foreground shadowcaster, passed shortly before the hanging wall and the hooded figure. It blocks quite a bit of the view with its shadow, when--being in the foreground--it feels that it shouldn't. It thus limits the player's perception without feeling like it doing so makes much sense--to me, watching this as a GIF, at least.

SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5203 on: July 17, 2017, 02:00:34 PM »

2D side scroller horror game.
Whoa. That looks awesome  My Word!

Cross post from screenshot thread - made this for the GMTKJam:

Bad Juju

Play it here: https://sean-noonan.itch.io/bad-juju
Rate it here: https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-jam/rate/159096

Gomez

TukeArt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: July 17, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »

Serpent Samurai (& mad dodging skills)
Sneaky_Seal
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5205 on: July 18, 2017, 12:31:04 PM »

A new animation for Ash of Gods - a trebuchet will make a breach in the city walls with ease.

Do you think you would be able to handle this siege?

Ash of Gods - a turn-based RPG featuring Roguelike storytelling and an extensive online PvP mode!
If you've missed our Kickstarter campaign, you can still support us and get your rewards here.
kenit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5206 on: July 18, 2017, 04:38:25 PM »

Cross post from screenshot thread - made this for the GMTKJam:

Bad Juju

Play it here: https://sean-noonan.itch.io/bad-juju
Rate it here: https://itch.io/jam/gmtk-jam/rate/159096

Gomez

Thank you for your comment.
I played Bad Juju. Great fun game:)
I rated 5stars.

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: July 23, 2017, 05:43:51 PM »

Started using GM's autotile stuff for speed/quality of life. One thing I got used to though when doing tiling by hand was adding variation to tiles, using other compatible tiles I had prepared. Autotile doesn't let me do that, so this afternoon I wrote a script that at runtime goes through my tile layers and pseudo-randomly mixes tiles around a bit to break repetition!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5208 on: July 24, 2017, 03:49:59 AM »

@muki: the script works wonders, looks a lot better after its pass

one of Warlocks 2 enemies' combo attack animation

devlog: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=60096.80

kenit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5209 on: July 26, 2017, 04:11:36 PM »

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5210 on: July 26, 2017, 11:22:01 PM »

Started using GM's autotile stuff for speed/quality of life. One thing I got used to though when doing tiling by hand was adding variation to tiles, using other compatible tiles I had prepared. Autotile doesn't let me do that, so this afternoon I wrote a script that at runtime goes through my tile layers and pseudo-randomly mixes tiles around a bit to break repetition!

That's really interesting! As someone who hand-place every tile, it's time consuming. Would it be possible to auto-tile, then come back on the same layer to handplace some? Not tried the auto-tile yet, so I don't know how it works.

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: July 27, 2017, 04:25:14 AM »

That's really interesting! As someone who hand-place every tile, it's time consuming. Would it be possible to auto-tile, then come back on the same layer to handplace some? Not tried the auto-tile yet, so I don't know how it works.

That works fine! Only small issue is if you start re-auto-tiling on top of your handplaced tiles, then the system can get confused. As in it starts putting the wrong tiles at that location, nothing you can't hand-fix.

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: July 28, 2017, 01:58:08 AM »

Hiya Tigs, its been a while since I shared any of my actual projects. Rough animation from a project ive been working on for a while now. <3

#project0v0

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5213 on: July 28, 2017, 03:55:33 AM »

That works fine! Only small issue is if you start re-auto-tiling on top of your handplaced tiles, then the system can get confused. As in it starts putting the wrong tiles at that location, nothing you can't hand-fix.

Great! I'll consider making an auto tile version of the sheet to make the first pass quicker ^^

On the subject of gifs:

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: July 28, 2017, 05:42:07 AM »

I can't get over how awesomely animated that ponytail is!  Shocked

love high framerate pixel art
TukeArt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: July 29, 2017, 10:16:19 AM »

Testing out new flame effects.
Tuba