Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:33:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMAZE (puzzles, death and exploration)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: MAZE (puzzles, death and exploration)  (Read 41921 times)
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »

They are all great! Perhaps I feel the first ones closer to the actual game, probably for the character proportions than the other ones. But as I said, I like all of them. Are you going to use them as the "cover" for Maze ?
Agreed about the first one, and yes, this work will be used as a cover. Also i very like this one:

actually I like redhaired girls so that's why I love arts.
Frankly, I prefer redhaired girls too :D

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2013, 02:30:46 AM »

I have been reading chin-guy's chin as a duckbill this entire time.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2013, 03:05:01 AM »

I have been reading chin-guy's chin as a duckbill this entire time.

Duckbill? Ahahah, good idea!

Lighting/dialogs mockup (based on screenshot of game map).

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2013, 03:59:40 AM »

I love the pixels and I love the artwork, but the heavy pattern dithering applied to the art looks disjointed from the art direction of the rest of the screen. I think I know what you're trying to achieve, some sort of retro vibe, but having so many colors on the portrait and then dithering them doesn't achieve this old-school feel. It ends up looking rather noisy / untidy, and doesn't mix well with the clean, edgy pixel art.

However this is just a small, nitpick. Love the look of this since day one.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2013, 05:00:32 AM »

I find the font hard to read.
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2013, 07:26:14 AM »

From my point of view, I think that the girl appearing with the message doesn't need to be in pixel art, it would be perfectly fine with her beeing hi-res. (although I find that she is getting too much screen space and she has too much dithering - but thats a matter of taste, I guess).  I must say that I'm a coder, so don't take my artistic opinion too seriously  Smiley

Ah, and I have no problems with the font.
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2013, 11:25:24 PM »

I love the pixels and I love the artwork, but the heavy pattern dithering applied to the art looks disjointed from the art direction of the rest of the screen. I think I know what you're trying to achieve, some sort of retro vibe, but having so many colors on the portrait and then dithering them doesn't achieve this old-school feel. It ends up looking rather noisy / untidy, and doesn't mix well with the clean, edgy pixel art.

However this is just a small, nitpick. Love the look of this since day one.

Yes, it was a failed attempt. I have to do it by hand, without using software algorithms of dithering. Thanx for reply!

I find the font hard to read.

I still have to work on that!

From my point of view, I think that the girl appearing with the message doesn't need to be in pixel art, it would be perfectly fine with her beeing hi-res. (although I find that she is getting too much screen space and she has too much dithering - but thats a matter of taste, I guess).  I must say that I'm a coder, so don't take my artistic opinion too seriously  Smiley

Ah, and I have no problems with the font.

Thanx for feedback! Well I think girl appearing with the message must be in pixel art, but I don't have time to do it. T__T

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 11, 2013, 06:19:21 AM »

Wow, I really love the graphics for this, especially the earthy tones on everything. The brighter tiles really stand out nicely against them as well. The characters are nice-looking, too!. Gameplay looks smooth from that recent video, and the only gripe I really have (though I know this is a work in progress) is the sound effects, they seem really generic-sounding to me. Other than that, keep up the great work on this! It's looking good!

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2013, 04:29:42 AM »

Wow, I really love the graphics for this, especially the earthy tones on everything. The brighter tiles really stand out nicely against them as well. The characters are nice-looking, too!. Gameplay looks smooth from that recent video, and the only gripe I really have (though I know this is a work in progress) is the sound effects, they seem really generic-sounding to me. Other than that, keep up the great work on this! It's looking good!

Thank you! At this point gameplay is compromise between two main parts - Maze exploration and solving puzzles on maps.

Each map in Maze has one key and 2-4 doors with 1-3 different types. This key can open a usual door (first door type) or can open the chest with skull-key inside, which opening the door with the skull (second door type) or can open the chest with treasures.

For example Elsa have a little of Health Points, the player have a choice - don't risk it and go into the usual door, but then he gets fewer coins. Or take a chance and break through the crowd of enemies and get a lot of coins.

There is a third type of door - a guard who takes cover charge. Behind this guards placed  a town where player can fill health of Elsa or shop where player can buy potions.
In other words there is a motive for the player to collect more of these coins and there is reason to think twice before spending a single key.

Fragment of Maze:

S (map 1) - starting map.
B - the beginning of the second branch
F (map 6 and 11) - the place of forks
A - map with artifacts (on global map, they will be marked with "?" signs)
Skulls labeled maps with enemies / death traps (card number 7, 9, 10, 12, 13).

On the other hand, behind danger door with skull can be places a branch of Maze leading to artifact ( artifacts are needed to complete the game , it's main quest )  or a dead end.
The player doesn't know it and and thus the choice between doors more dramatic for him.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 04:44:49 AM by 08--n7.r6-79.84 » Logged

dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 12, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »

I won't say anything about the blurry coin and keys in the top display Tongue

Seriously, you are doing a great work. I would like to have something to criticize, but, your art is awesome and I also think that you are building your game with fun mechanics.

Come on! You don't really need to sleep so much.. an hour a day is enough. Finish the game and take my money !! hahahah Smiley
blackarm
Level 0

VALHALLA

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »

best art I've seen. very jealous! nice work.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: September 12, 2013, 10:54:01 AM »

OMG only now I've acknowledged this! Looks amazing  Kiss

Zelda is my favorite series so, looking forward to this Smiley

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2013, 12:13:13 AM »

I won't say anything about the blurry coin and keys in the top display Tongue
We are used a software shadow generation and it blurred some gui elemnts. But we'll fix it!

Come on! You don't really need to sleep so much.. an hour a day is enough. Finish the game and take my money !! hahahah Smiley

Ahaha, I can't jump over my head!  Shrug

blackarm, thank you!

OMG only now I've acknowledged this! Looks amazing  Kiss

Zelda is my favorite series so, looking forward to this Smiley

Well, it's not really a zelda-like game, it's like if we removed action elements and left puzzles in Zelda.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2013, 04:42:03 AM »

Well, it's not really a zelda-like game, it's like if we removed action elements and left puzzles in Zelda.

I'm ok with that, still looking forward to it.

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2013, 12:43:58 AM »

After new gameplay testing, started to create npc and work on storyline. One of fisherman's sketches:

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2013, 07:33:59 AM »

..And pixel-art version of this dude:

poe
« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »

Have I told you I really want this inside me yet?
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2013, 08:39:12 AM »

Have I told you I really want this inside me yet?

Not sure what you meant, you want this inside you?  Inside your imagination? My english is bad, sorry for misunderstanding =)

Little progress of work:

Better viewed with x2 zoom.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:45:27 AM by 08--n7.r6-79.84 » Logged

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »

Am I the only one who can't read the environment in this game? I seriously can't tell where floors end and walls begin.

Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »

Individually the art work is top notch but it needs a little definition to aid readability.

Having said that great work!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic