Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:10:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignMay have fixed part of my growth design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: May have fixed part of my growth design  (Read 4583 times)
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2007, 05:24:16 AM »

So I was harping on about expanding Tumiki Fighters into a biological two-stick Katamari game, and had started a prototype demo, but it was all a bit shitty.

You'd start in a cell and the cell's nucleus would start attacking you by releasing antibodies which would shoot at you. If you got shot, parts of you would fall off, provided there were parts to destroy. If you shot the antibodies, they would die, and you could pick them up, at which point their weapon would become yours, and the camera would zoom out to compensate for your increased size. Picked up cells would crowd around the player's location - I eventually wanted to enclose these in some kind of physical mesh so it would look like an amoeba.

Now, once you get out of the cell (i.e. once you've defeated the nucleus), you realise that the cell you were in was just an antibody of an altogether larger cell with an altogether larger nucleus. These new antibodies/nucleus would be too big of course to attack so you'd have to penetrate the wall of one of the other large antibodies and take on the nucleus inside that.

The main problem occurred when you'd done several of these babies and you'd grown to perhaps 30 times your original size - your player would consist of hundreds of cells (I got rid of the tiniest ones) and things got really chaotic as the tiny bullets moved much more slowly than the larger ones.

Now, though, what I think what I'd do is for each antibody you destroy, you power up your existing weapon of the same type, up to a certain size dictated by how much you've absorbed up to this point. If your weapon is larger than this, it splits in to two, or evolves, or both or something, with an associated graphical change to help telegraph the exponential change in scale occurring over the course of the game. This way, instead of having a ton of tiny weapons you still get to have the absorption and evolution of different weapon types, but everything is contained in one (or a few) neat package(s).

Getting hit would reduce your size, and reduce your weapons accordingly.

As you progress through the game, different environments would be introduced to make it seem as though you were moving through different parts of the body and getting bigger all the time, so that at the start you are attacking cells as described and later you are attacking sphincters, minor organs, major organs, muscle groups etc. and finally the heart or brain. The game could be set inside an alien to facilitate fictional biological entities in much greater numbers than would normally exist in animals we know today.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 03:22:35 PM »

So if you got to the point where you're taking on, say, a liver or something, and you get completely decimated by the antibody forces to the point where you're pretty much as small as when you started, you'd have to repeat the process of going into antibodies and reabsorbing everything until you're finally big enough to take on the liver itself again?
Sounds cool...
It'd be cool if, as you increased in size and stuff, you were ranked with titles like "Infection", "flu", and stuff until you made your way up to like, "cancer" or "Giant fucking tumor" or something.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »

Yeah - I want it so that things that were scenery before eventually become enemies. The whole body is the enemy, but the component parts of it will ignore you until you're big enough to pose a threat. That wall is only a wall if you're tiny, otherwise it's just part of another enemy.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 02:59:55 AM »

Sounds pretty interesting to me. I was a biochem major though, so I may be biased.

My next game also has a pretty big biologic element, although you're not in a body exactly, but it's something *vaguely similar*.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic