Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:06:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Unfinished Swan
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Unfinished Swan  (Read 4215 times)
lEnfantDuSoleil
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:15:11 PM »

Hello everybody!

This is my first post on the forums, although I have been frequenting TIGSource for a good while.

The subject of my post is the name of a game I stumbled upon. It's still in development, but I couldn't find any reference to it neither here nor on the main site, and I thought I'd try to spread the word. Here's the link:

http://iandallas.com/games/swan/

"The Unfinished Swan is a surreal maze game set in an entirely white world.
Fortunately you can splatter paint to help you find your way out. "

I was sold when I saw the video. It looks like a neat concept, I'll be watching for more news on this one.

Thanks! Hopefully I chose the right board for this post.
 Tongue
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 08:30:21 PM »

Yup, you've posted it in the right place.  Smiley

Wow, that video gets sort of creepy after a bit.  Quite an interesting idea, it'll be interesting to see where this project goes.

Oh, and word of advice: don't waste your manbaby post, if you know what I mean (you may very well not).
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:06:17 PM »

Alas, advice given too late, architekt.
No matter, I'd say this were no waste of a post, no waste of a post at all.
Looks like a pretty awesome game. And a game indeed, not just one of those passive "lets look around a pretty world" games, but more than merely a maze.
Quite. Gentleman

azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »

Yeah, I heard about this game a couple weeks ago. I played some sort of tech demo or something similar, and it was pretty fun, although they should have limited how fast you can throw paint in it.
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »

Oh, I must have been mistaken about the manbaby rules; I thought that you could make it during your first two posts, because you're a manbaby when you only have one post.  I missed mine, so I wasn't sure.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 11:22:55 PM »

This game was covered by Joystick as part of their IndieCade coverage.

I really hope it at least has a demo available eventually. It and the Night Journey, too.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:34:50 PM »

I am at indiecade right now, and checked this game out a bit.  The concept it cool, shooting paint to reveal the game environement.  It's a neat little mechanic.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 12:17:19 AM »

Alas, advice given too late, architekt.

No. His manbaby post is his second post. He should post that in the Mancrib.

GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 12:24:49 AM »

Ah!  So I was right about that then!
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »

Yeah, I watched the video before, it looked interesting. I'm not sold on the sound effects, though; hope they're placeholders.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 03:07:44 PM »

Personally i think this is such a crap idea. I want to know who thought this up... its like.. they were sitting in the office and someone says:

"...how about...you cant see anything?"

"what.. like.. you play a blind man?"

"erm.. well.. how about we just make everything white? Fuck textures and lighting, make it all white! hows that taste?"

"Pretty damn good Peterson! But how exactly is that fun..?"

"..umm.. yeh.... i get your point... but what if we gave players tins of paint to throw at stuff! Everyone loves chucking paint at stuff right?"

"Yeah. Ok. Sorted. New game- you cant see shit. and you throw paint at the walls. The public will eat this up. Its gold."

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 04:28:51 PM »

I'm pretty sure the idea went more about generating an atmosphere. Mystery, isolation, loneliness. Or maybe not, because the cartoony sound effects don't really help that aesthetic.

Zaphos
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 04:46:01 PM »

Personally i think this is such a crap idea. I want to know who thought this up... its like.. they were sitting in the office and someone says:

"erm.. well.. how about we just make everything white? Fuck textures and lighting, make it all white! hows that taste?"

"..umm.. yeh.... i get your point... but what if we gave players tins of paint to throw at stuff! Everyone loves chucking paint at stuff right?"

"Yeah. Ok. Sorted. New game- you cant see shit. and you throw paint at the walls. The public will eat this up. Its gold."
Why the hate?  You can make a similar silly dialog about pretty much anything ...

I think this is a pretty neat idea!  The way the environment must be discovered is initially charming, and then a bit suspenseful ...

The tech demo video doesn't show off the gameplay possibilities much, but already looks like an interesting experience.  I think there is a lot of potential to explore, if you wanted to make a more traditional game out of it; the idea that seeing is interacting is very interesting to me -- throwing the paint lets you see the scene, but it could also move or change the scene.  You also have the possibility that excessive interaction makes you blind, or that interaction causes sounds which may attract enemies.  Depending on the color of the player, painting the walls can also provide camouflage.  The walls can also camouflage the enemies, so if there are black enemies and you have black paint, then you have motivation to throw less paint so you can spot enemies more easily. 

You'd need to play around with the ideas to find a combination that works, but there's definitely some interesting 'stealth game' potential in it, among other things.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 04:48:56 PM »

Yeah, right now the gameplay is very sparse.  it's a maze and you can blast paint to reveal the architecture of the environment to escape, but it is a very cool base mechanic that could be explored and exploited into a fun full game.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 05:34:15 PM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
Zaphos
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 05:21:07 PM »

So is it pretty much what's shown in the video, still?

(also, can't -> can?)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »

can't -> can?

Shocked yes.

@doomlaser, mark johns
lEnfantDuSoleil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 10:33:02 PM »

Thanks for the heads up about my "manbaby" post. I hope I've accomplished it satisfactorily.

Gentleman

This concept does look interesting. I'd enjoy it as it stands, but it would be nice to see it implemented into something more. 
azeo
Level 1

Blank slate!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »

Found that other game, http://capnrat.com/unity/Whitewash.html Needs unity. Basically the same idea, although it is just a tech demo, and it has red paint. Apparently, made by a completely different person and they didn't know about each other. Cool
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2008, 12:56:59 AM »

They are using XNA? Please tell me they are going to port it to Teh Bawks.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2008, 04:14:34 AM »

Why the hate?  You can make a similar silly dialog about pretty much anything ...

ok sorry for hostility, i dont hate it. I just think its a dumb idea..which would get annoying after 10mins..i dont see how not being able to see, would make a fun game. If it was a 10minuite section in HalfLife2, then it would be kinda cool..spooky. But a full game idea? commonnn!!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic