Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 04:47:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesgood place to download games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: good place to download games  (Read 6075 times)
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »

stumbled upon this, thought id let you guys know:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/

a load of old games there to download. I just got JazzJackrabbit 2, Earthworm Jim, Doom2 and Blood.. theyre all great! Theres also a ton of really crap games here, which are good for a laugh.. anyway just posting it incase someone is intersted.

Cave Story Smiley Cave Story Smiley Cave Story
EDIT- wtf epic made jazzjackrabbit?haha, long way to gears of war.
Also, Blood is like the hardest game ever? Someone else download it an see if you can get anywhere with it.. this shotgun dude just comes out the first graveyard an blasts you D: an you seriously cant waste ANY ammo.. its like D: (im on "pink on the inside" difficulty)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 12:21:17 PM by Greg-Anims » Logged

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 12:23:10 PM »

Yeah, Abandonia is ace.

Saker
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »

epic classic is not epic as-we-know-nowadays Huh?

thanks for sharing , man .. this bring me back in time
Gnarf
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:31:32 PM »

I'd imagine Indie Games is not the right sub-forum for this one.

They don't actually have Doom II for download there, do they? It's pretty easy and straightforward to get a legit copy of that.

But yeah. It's a nice site.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 12:53:52 PM »

They don't actually have Doom II for download there, do they?

Seems they don't. Abandonware is technically illegal anyway, but those sites typically seem to get by with just removing games that are protected by the ESA or similar. I'll have to admit to owing many hours of good entertainment to Abandonia, HOTU and their ilk.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »

I was active in that site some time ago and wrote several reviews, but have hesitated to mention it because I never know how certain communities react to abandonware. It is technically illegal but maintains itself on an attitude of "if no one cares we wont get caught." Abandonia automatically checks it's database against a list of games for sale or the ESA list of protected games. Hence the reason why games that were available for download are no longer. Like X-Com. It was available for download until it showed up on steam.

But since this board seems okay with it (for now) lemme link to my reviews. There's actually one more, Star Control that is still erroneously credited to mika because of a technicality, which I'm can't be bothered to have fixed. About half of those reviews were games I was really passionate about, and about half of them were reviewed at the request of the site. I had forgotten about half of them before I found that list.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Gnarf
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 03:47:20 PM »

They don't actually have Doom II for download there, do they?

Seems they don't. Abandonware is technically illegal anyway, but those sites typically seem to get by with just removing games that are protected by the ESA or similar. I'll have to admit to owing many hours of good entertainment to Abandonia, HOTU and their ilk.

Yeah, I know. And I checked to find the "No go!" thing on Doom 2. Just found it odd that Greg-Anims said that he had just gotten Doom 2 from there like.

HotU is/was awesome. Like, it would've been pretty awesome if it was only the lists of games with reviews and not the downloads. Lots of great stuff to discover there.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »

Yeah, I know. And I checked to find the "No go!" thing on Doom 2. Just found it odd that Greg-Anims said that he had just gotten Doom 2 from there like.

Yeah, that's a bit confusing.

HotU is/was awesome. Like, it would've been pretty awesome if it was only the lists of games with reviews and not the downloads. Lots of great stuff to discover there.

True, that. If only it weren't the slowest site on the face of the internet... Undecided
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 08:34:15 PM »

If only it were still updated.  Cry

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »

Home of the Underdogs is a similar site. Tim told me that he was motivated to start his blog on indie games after the Underdogs site stopped being updated.

I don't think such sites have bad intentions, as long as they remove a game when someone requests that they do it seems fine. Although I'm not sure if they actually do honor all takedown requests by the copyright holders, or just those with the power of the ESA behind them. In any case a lot of the games on the Underdogs are legitimately legal, and it's a site worth checking out just for getting to know the history of PC games -- they have playable PC games that go back to 1977 or so on that site.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »

You can't get X-Com from Abandonia anymore? Shocked GOD, WHY!? I'm never gonna format my HD again.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 08:45:35 PM »

Because you can now buy it on Steam. They probably asked them to take it down after they decided to start selling it again.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 07:06:38 AM »

Home of the Underdogs is a similar site.
That's what HotU was for.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 07:23:47 AM »

I didn't read the entire thread before replying -- was just replying to the first post.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 02:06:27 PM »

I download most of my abandonware from Abandonia and Abandonware Paradise. I used HotU a lot, but at this moments all downloads are down 'cause of a HD malfunction, and that's starting to get me stressed. Yet, all the info is still there, and it's the best place to get it.

I love spending time in these sites, just pressing random link after random link, downloading everything.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2008, 02:11:13 PM »

Oh, the memories. I once translated reviews for the German part of the site, but I quit the whole thing because nobody seemed to care.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 06:23:40 PM »

I've also found XTC Abandonware to be nice.

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 01:51:55 AM »

I originally came from the Abandonware community also.. it's what got me into indie games in the first place. Can't say I have the same feelings about Abandonware as I used to though.

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »

Thanks for all the free links everybody  Beer! There are some places I didn't know about. I was just used to raping Home of the Underdogs! Gentleman
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 07:48:47 AM »

EDIT- wtf epic made jazzjackrabbit?haha, long way to gears of war.

I'm not sure they're the same Epic. Perhaps it's similar to Atari -- the Atari that exists today is not actually the same Atari that created the 2600, they are just a different company bought the right to use the name, but there isn't a single employee who is the same from back then. It could be the same with Epic.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic