Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412072 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58483 Members - Latest Member: Exye

June 25, 2024, 02:51:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessAdvice needed on how to get a team together
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Advice needed on how to get a team together  (Read 875 times)
Alfonso Crawford
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »

I want to get a group of C/++ programmers together and finish up some of the Blender Game Engine's features, but I'm unsure of how to entice them. I am going to be speaking with the programming professor(s) at my college about issuing extra credit for participating in the endeavor, as well as get anyone involved positive press for their work (regardless of them being a student or otherwise).

How ought I proceed in this endeavor? Is it best to start getting feedback from gaming- and programming-venues first? Is attention (however seriously pursued) even enough payment by itself? Any and all guidance in the matter is appreciated. Smiley
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:51:05 PM »

Money usually works.  Hand Money Left Hand Money Right

Up front is better, but if you can show something that has enough promise (i.e. really cool art), then a rev share agreement may also be an option.

Sometimes though you might find someone in between projects just looking for something to do for fun, so it never hurts to just ask.

Just be sure to post your request in the appropriate forum (paid/unpaid/collab) or you'll get scolded by a mod.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Xienen
Level 3

Greater Good Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:26:00 AM »

Sadly, I agree that money is the best motivator. The incentive of adding their name to the project might mean enough for some people, but it really doesn't hold too many people's attention for too long.  As for finding people wanting to join in, posting on these forums, gamedev.net, and Blender's forum are probably your best bet.

Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 04:18:59 AM »

Promising experience and a portfolio does help, but they have to be absolutely certain of your capability to finish the project.

Unless you can convince them, you'd have to fork over some money for their time.

Or just be friends with them. Friends are willing to work for free  Gomez

But do note that if you're promising them nothing physical, they can leave whenever they feel like it or when the going gets tough. Those who are looking for experience will experiment... don't expect things to turn out the way you want.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:53:45 AM »

Also you make it sound like you'll be talking to college students.  For various reasons this tends to be a Bad Idea.  Make sure they've started and finished things in their own time outside of school.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic