Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:42:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Ambition of the Independent Video Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Ambition of the Independent Video Game  (Read 2011 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:07:59 PM »

This is a cute little essay on indie games, created by taking this NYTimes essay, and substituting 'indie game' for 'short story'.

"The independent video game is always ducking for cover.  The Triple-A game buys up the land, cuts down the trees, puts up the condos. The independent video game scampers across a lawn, squeezes under a fence."

I think it works really well!

Found via kottke.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 08:16:40 PM »

Things To Do:
  • Find short story author
  • Hug

Nice find Golds.
Zaphos
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »

I don't think it works really, since they seem to be talking about modern short stories which do not try to provide a complete story, and which a lot of people read and say, "where is the ending?  what did I just read?"  But they do try to capture a moment or an epiphany, something larger, instead of telling a 'complete' story.

Indie games don't specialize in that way really ... the only common point with short stories is that they're not as popular as the other form.  I do want to see games which try to be to long-form games what the modern short story is to novels.  But indie games in general are not that.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 08:56:27 PM »

Yeah, I guess it really applies better to the short-form game, which is something that only indies seem to make these days, even if some AAA games are just short stories with a few select paragraphs copied and pasted ad infinitum to pad them into a 60 hour package.   Cool

@doomlaser, mark johns
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic