People have been really helpful around this place, so i thought i'd share what i know about flash sponsorship, especially for Cagey/Don Andy who wanted to know. I'll do my best to keep it understandable i tend to rant a bit.. hehHOW IT WORKS:
Start with the basics
FlashGame sites make money by getting loads of people onto their website, so they can make money through adverts. So they pay YOU the developer, to slap their logo/a few links to their website onto your game. Then their advert will be seen by everyone who plays the game, and TONS of people WILL play a good game(and visit their site), because there are 100's of FlashGameSites all trying to milk this new new cashcow..and they will all steal your game and put it on their website. So a good game will be hosted by 100's of website, and get millions (some have billions) of hits.HOW TO GET THE MOST $$$ FROM YOUR HARD WORK
- Firstly, remember that the sponsor NEEDS YOU to make money, and any offer they give you-you can be sure they think they will make a lot more. Be smart with haggling.
- Sponsors want the most traffic from a game, so what they pay you depends on origionality, polish, replayability..etc. I think its important to be origional. Give them something other sites cant offer..
- FlashgameLicense, in my experience isnt very good. Its much better to talk to sponsors and build a partnership with them, so you can come to them with all your games and get a fair price. Try emails/MSN/ or put your game on FGL, but dont accept bids, just use that to see who is interested.
- The best ad agency is MochiADS at the moment. Sign up with them, and put mochiads on your game! If its popular enough to stay popular (FancyPants), you will make money everyday for years..
- Take a few dreamweaver/wordpress tutorials, make a personal profile website and put googleads on your website. This way, with every release, you can put a link to your website as well as the sponsors. This will get you known, as well as more money with each release..
-Site-Locked Versions!! When you get a game sponsored (big$$), if you ask nicely, you can sell more versions after that to sites, with the sponsors logo removed and a bit of code added(site-locking) so it cant be taken off the site you sell it to(small$$), the thing is.. a site will pay around $50-$300 for this. So if you find enough sites that want this, you can make a lot of money with little extra work!EXTRA TIPS
- to be honest, i wouldnt think about making $$ from your game until AFTER youve made it. Just make what you want to play, and keep it fun/origional. Then you wont end up with a crap flash game like most of them out there, specifically targeted at making quick $$, for a big audience(casual game market).
- be patient. Marketing flash games at first takes a while. Dont jump on offers you are made, find the best one, most flashsites take a long time to return emails, and its best to get their MSN/AIM.LIST OF FLASH PORTALS
- You want loads of people to play your game dont you? Submit it here:
Here is a list of sites you might want to submit to:www.newgrounds.comwww.freeworldgroup.comwww.miniclip.com
(game needs to be pretty-fuckin-good for this!lol)www.addictinggames.comwww.armorgames.comwww.hallpass.comwww.freeonlinegames.comwww.kongregate.comwww.2dplay.comwww.gamegum.comwww.flashportal.comwww.gamegarage.co.ukwww.bubblebox.comwww.xgenstudios.comFURTHER READING
- i learnt loads of stuff from these places:http://www.flashgamesponsorship.com/http://www.mochibot.com/http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2008/03/04/experiment-monetizing-a-flash-game-part-8/http://www.flashrights.com/http://mochi.omgames.co.uk/emails.phphttp://www.flashgamelicense.com/http://mochiland.com/articles/marketing-flash-games-the-other-half-of-the-battle
ok if it helps you a bit, then good